WHAT is the Definition of Love ?

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:06 am
Based upon your experience and observation:

What is Love ?

MY understanding of it is bearing GOOD WILL
toward something or someone, with a very hi intensity thereof
or
LIKEING something or someone very, very intensely.

AGREE ?

Disagree ?

Comments ?

Questions ?

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,412 • Replies: 29
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:12 am
I don 't see that TRUST
is necessarily involved in love.

I see them as 2 distinct concepts.

Comments ?
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 05:34 am
Naturelly,if u wanna hv sex with someone,that can be a love too...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 05:43 am
I THINK "LOVE" IS A "HIGH" DERIVED FROM SERATONIN RELEASE IN THE BRAIN.

THIS RELEASE IS INITIATED WHEN YOU SEE A WOMEN YOU WANT KIDS WITH.

LOLZ.

Love can also be an intense interest in something.(i love drawing etc..)

i dont know, but i dont put much stock in the word love, its really tricky.
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:52 pm
love is an entity that makes babies. tradmarked by the communist corporation in 1955 (obviously stolen from the nazi party.)

i can get a two pack from sears and get my incredulous upsize.

get your facts straight.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:52 am
what about an AK27 or a Baretta or a .22 or (help with some names of guns, people!) a Smith & Weston or a shotgun or a...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:59 pm
Mame wrote:
what about an AK27 or a Baretta or a .22 or (help with some names of guns, people!) a Smith & Weston or a shotgun or a...

What ABOUT them ?
0 Replies

Samerron

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 02:59 am
Love is something beautiful. It is a feeling of affection for someone.
There is a difference between love and lust. If you love a woman, you want to take care of her, protect her, bring her joy and happiness and would like to have a romantic night with her. But, if you only want to have sex, then this is not love but lust, which only cares about ones desire.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:07 am
I'm with Samerron!

Love, in my eyes is the most beautiful feeling I've ever had. When I'm in love with a man, I love him with all my heart and being!

Then there's loving a friend/family, which is also a very nice feeling, but not the same as being in love.

When I say "I love cheesecake", I don't really love it, but we're talking cheesecake here, so it comes close to love, but it still not love.

That's my story.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:10 pm
I am told that a famous essayist once explained love as a man's irrational overestimation of the attributes of one woman as compared to others. I'm sure the switching of genders in that thought would not necessarily invalidate the resulting statement.

JM
0 Replies

Italy16

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:26 am
Well there are different types of love. There is of course love that implies sexual relation- a wife, husband, partner, boyfriend, etc. And there is the love of objects or actions- I love chocolate, I love to sing. Then there is the love of a family member- sister, aunt, mother, father, etc.

However, today's society overuses the word 'love'. We go around stating "i love this" and "I love that", when in actuality one really means that they like it very much.

It is the same way with the word 'best'. When we say "This latte is the best", we do not mean that this latte, out of all the other lattes in the world, is THE best.

I agree with Samerron. Wanting to have sex is not love- its lust. Love is when you never want to see them hurt. Where if they were in trouble, you would do everything within your power to save them.

To quote my friend, "Love is giving someone the opportunity to hurt you, but trusting them not to."
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:29 am
Gee, David, I would have figured you for a Beatles kind of guy. From the White Album, "Happiness is a Warm Gun".
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 01:20 am
well, you could define "hate" as the thing which exists to drive all people apart, and love as its opposite, which has the exact opposite effect and purpose.

that being said, love is a terribly stupid word. it confuses people so much that they swear it is mythological, and that does great damage to humanity.

the greeks didn't have this problem (they had others,) they had eros, agape (which isn't *exactly* what those christian fanatics tell you it is, but close enough for the moment,) philia, storge, and thelema! real words with real meanings!

if you want to be angsty over something, the greek have plenty of solutions for that without muddling language to the point where we don't know if "love" exists.

but keep the word as an example of how ignorant people can be, by virtue of simply not having the proper way to express it- and how quickly the intellectual loses his ability to have a meaningful conversation the moment he loses part of his dictionary- not that i'm less than glad we have intellectuals. they are certainly good for something. just don't forget that there might be a good reason we developed emotions as well. knowing what love is would be quite useless to someone that can't experience it.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:24 am
Love is caring more about someone elses wellbeing than you do your own.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:31 am
Rockhead wrote:
Love is caring more about someone elses wellbeing than you do your own.

yeah, sometimes. but love isn't selfless, there's no excuse for loving everyone else and not yourself among them. that creates needless pain that the world will share in eventually.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:13 pm
love is a nice myth...
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:55 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
love is a nice myth...

Razz

i wrote:
love is a terribly stupid word. it confuses people so much that they swear it is mythological, and that does great damage to humanity.

the greeks didn't have this problem...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 03:08 am
Tales of near death experiences go back 1000s of years.

Over the last few decades
( since the study thereof by Raymond Moody, M.D. in the 1970s )
many 1000s of such experiences ( usually in hospitals ) nationwide
have been rendered by people who apparently have never met
one another. Thay substantially agree, in that thay met a
super intelligent being of light, who had them judge their lives,
by 2 criteria: love and learning,
with the predominant criterion being love,
i.e., how kindly the judge treated his fellow human ( and non-human ) beings.

David
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 10:46 pm
I think love is different things for different people. It's the filling of a need. To some people, its a feeling of safety and trust, to others its an empowerment thing. Maybe I'm talking more about <i>why</i> people love each other, but I think the two are inexorably linked.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:05 pm
My definition of love would be the ability to know the highest and truest part of myself. If I know this, I can show this.
0 Replies