My Niece the Prodigy

mac11

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 10:37 pm
She's very talented 'k. I know you're proud!

Perhaps farmerman meant G&T - gifted and talented?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:07 pm
She is indeed accomplished. Thank you for sharing these with us.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:33 am
Wonderful!!!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:43 am
Wow, littlek - she IS good! I LOVE the cow Smile Very creative. Actually all the work I've seen is great.

I taught some kids at an art camp I held one summer and we did all sorts of things, using all types of media. One project in particular they found fun... Paper Mosaics is how I term it. You make a picture using small bits of coloured paper - we tore up magazines - great saturated colours there - it was fascinating to see what they came up with. Do you do art with her? I'd be interested to see what she does with paper mosaics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:45 am
I was her nanny for 7 years, we did lots of art. I'd just sort of introduce art concepts and she'd absorb them in one breath and produce with them in the next. For example, I told her to draw my profile when she was stuck on full-faces and then a 3/4 angle after that.

I think she'd like the collage type thing. I know she's done something like that before.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:40 pm
littlek,

It must be easy (and rewarding) to give encouragement to an artist of Silvia's talents, but what you're doing is very important. Good for you!

Lots of artists and art schools in Boston. There may well be a young woman who'd enjoy working with Silvia once a week for free. If I were a visual artist, and I saw Silvia's work, I'd surely want to spend time with her. It's a two-way street: the teacher and pupil learn from each other.

Also, some of the best high schools have community-service programs in which the older kids work with either the young or the old.

By the way, I am not suggesting that you are not enough stimulation for Silvia as an artist. I am merely pointing out that, when a child is really good at something, he or she can develop a voracious appetite for exploring--and you might enlist another good helper for Silvia to look forward to working with.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:08 pm
Miklos - hi! She has been taking art classes periodically. I really urged her mom to sign her up with a woman who teaches multi-media art classes professionally (as opposed to the town-based classes). She's been doing that. My niece could benefit and does benefit from any art experience she has.

She has contact with some artists directly and indirectly, too. My family has a decades old friendship with an art family - the mother of that family is a retired art teacher to boot. She gets tips and pointers to run with when she sees them. It would be cool for her to make some deeper art connections.

I keep meaning to catch her school art teacher before the end of the year to tell her she's had a big impact on Silvi.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:44 pm
Littlek, have you thought about showing her my art piece I did for you as inspiration? That is, if you haven't sold it on Ebay for a six-figure sum already.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:47 pm
i think that's what inspired the cow drawing. be proud, slappy, be proud.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:57 pm
Slappy - I think I did show her. She made that face that means she didn't know whether to laugh or be serious (but was leaning towards laughing).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 07:10 am
Much great art has been received that way when it first came out. <Nods expertly> Don't worry about it, Slappy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
I had to think of this thread today. I went to our library, where the librarians were busy hanging up paintings from students at our nearby elementary school. This made me wonder: Are there any new stories you'd like you'd like to share about your favorite prodigy?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:20 pm
Not much news that I know of. I don't spend nearly as much time with her as I used to. She made a portrait of me with a new medium for her last summer (water color pencils). She has a newish silk screen kit her father can help her with. I'll let you know.....
Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 05:47 am
@littlek,
Looking forward to it.
0 Replies