UFO's

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:10 pm
Who's a believer?

My brother says we are the only living creatures here in the universe.

To me...that is statistically impossible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,097 • Replies: 33
No top replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:27 pm
Here's a thread I started a while back - maybe it'll be interesting to you...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77994&highlight=
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:56 am
Re: UFO's
Jeremiah wrote:
Who's a believer?

My brother says we are the only living creatures here in the universe.

To me...that is statistically impossible.

He a christian? That sort of arrogance usually comes from religion. The bible doesn't mention life on other planets, so it must not exist.

I'm with you, with all the infinite planets and solar systems out there, there has to be something else living somewhere. That being said, I do NOT believe in UFO's simply because the nearest star is 4.3ly from earth and given the fact that speed-of-light travel is impossible, it's impossible that being from another planet would be able to travel here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:38 pm
I have not the slightest doubt that people see, or think they see, objects, or what they think are objects, which are flying, or which they think are flying, which they are then and subsequently unable to identify.

That taken aside, i don't think there is any compelling evidence that extraterrestrial sentient beings have visited this planet. Absent a good reason to believe it, i think i'll pass.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:57 pm
when i was a young lad, i used to lay awake nights staring out the window and try to send telepathic signals to the aliens to come and get me

to the best of my knowledge they never did

this has led me to one of two conclusions, they either don't exist or they're miserable bastards who'd rather abduct unwilling subjects
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:04 pm
I have never witnessesed a UFO, thought I know many people who have. I find it ludicrous to think we are the only intelligent creatures even in our own galaxy. Out galaxy has over 100 billion stars. There are over 200 billion known galaxies. Surely there must be SOMEONE else out there!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:08 pm
Snood - I loved your story. You had a very rare and meaningful adventure.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:55 pm
My dad claims to have been tracking what he thought was a satellite, when it suddenly made a 90 degree turn. We were on a camp-out in the middle of nowhere--the sky was crystal clear. It's been at least 20 years ago. I have asked him about it a few times since then, and his story is always the same. I thought that perhaps he had looked away for a moment before looking up again and seeing a different satellite-- but he assures me that he was staring right at the thing when it turned. To me, his word is better than gold. Still, I don't really have an opinion as to what it was that he saw. I have found other reports online that are very similar.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:14 pm
My previous post was a little off topic--sorry 'bout that.
To answer the original post...
With all that we know (and all that we know we don't know) about the universe, I think it's nuts to believe that we are "alone". I even think it's a little nuts to think that we might be "alone".
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:25 pm
Aliens?? Of course they'er real. Whats the big deal Their just a different species.....that doesn't happen to live on this planet.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:32 pm
Amigo wrote:
Aliens?? Of course they'er real. Whats the big deal Their just a different species.....that doesn't happen to live on this planet.
Do you thnk they have been to Earth?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:34 pm
Yes. Do you.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:34 pm
Some years ago, I was spending the summer in Boston and on one night I had just returned by subway to my apartment in the Back Bay area. There was an object floating over the Charles River some distance away. There were rotating lights on this cigar-shaped object. It was flying against its tilt angle, which an airplane couldn't do.

Amazed, I stopped a complete stranger on the sidewalk and pointed, "Look there's a flying saucer!"

The stranger took a quick glance and shrugged "That's the Goodyear Blimp." And it was.

People, including me, are often mistaken by what they see in the sky.

Are there other intelligent beings somewhere else? Probably. But they can't fly faster than the speed of light, so it is highly unlikely we will ever meet them. We might, however, someday detect them by SETI's (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) radio searches.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:01 pm
Amigo wrote:
Yes. Do you.

If I had to make a bet I would say "no". I think if they were smart enough to get here they would also be smart enough to stay off the radar (if they wanted to). But if they made it this far, I doubt they would be content to just observe--as if to learn anything from us. I actually think it is far more likely, esp. given the history of human exploration, that we would simply be exterminated.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:21 pm
I'm just guessing to.

But it is funner to believe then not to believe. Very Happy No?
0 Replies

graemedaulby

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:28 am
Not only is statistically impossible, it's just plain arrogant. I personally think that theres loads of life out there. We just haven't found it yet. Maybe we never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever will.
Graeme

P.S. ever
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:47 am
graemedaulby wrote:
Not only is statistically impossible, it's just plain arrogant. I personally think that theres loads of life out there. We just haven't found it yet. Maybe we never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever will.
Graeme

P.S. ever

yep, I agree.
Maybe we're just a pee break in their travels and not worth an overnight stay. Or, they pick up our news channels and hear how violent we are and and decide to hold it in til the next planet.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:17 pm
happycat wrote:

Maybe we're just a pee break in their travels and not worth an overnight stay. [/color]

Don't eat fluorescent green snow.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 09:01 pm
I know a woman who is now about 80. In 1960 she, her husband and child were driving though France. Suddenly they saw a bright object directly in front of them. They all blacked out and woke up about 2 hours later sitting in their car about 75 miles from where they had been. A few days later men in black showed up at her door and swore her to secrecy on what she had seen. She told me this story in 1980, long before the movie came out.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:23 am
Get out!!!! Yer greenin' us, right?
0 Replies