I hope the human race ends ASAP (serious, no trolling)

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:54 pm
Chumly, I made a drastic typo in my last post. I said "but it is possible to generate wisdom solely from the kind of...."
I MEANT TO SAY: "but IS IT possible to generate wisdom solely from the kind of..."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:04 pm
Right-oh, I understood that from the context of your prior post.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 12:05 am
echi wrote:
And then you go and post this load of crap:
drews wrote:
. . . I don't give much of a crap about non-human animals. Sure, the animals feel some pain, but they don't suffer like we do. Screw them, Laughing we're the real tragedy. We didn't choose to come into existence.

Just when I thought I had found someone really special, it turns out you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall. Thanks for nuthin'.

I'm glad you responded to that, echi-- I was so depressed after I read that that I couldn't even say anything; but I feel a bit better knowing that at least one other person thought it was crap.
0 Replies

drews

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:39 am
cyphercat wrote:
echi wrote:
And then you go and post this load of crap:
drews wrote:
. . . I don't give much of a crap about non-human animals. Sure, the animals feel some pain, but they don't suffer like we do. Screw them, Laughing we're the real tragedy. We didn't choose to come into existence.

Just when I thought I had found someone really special, it turns out you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall. Thanks for nuthin'.

I'm glad you responded to that, echi-- I was so depressed after I read that that I couldn't even say anything; but I feel a bit better knowing that at least one other person thought it was crap.

Animals feel 'pain' b/c they have nervous systems as well, but unlike humans they don't have a surplus of awareness that makes suffering a million times worse. If you lock a dog in a cage for 10 years, it'll just lay there; lock a human up in a cage for 10 years, he'll moan and yearn for his family, and when you let him out he'll fall to his knees like andy in shawshank. that's the difference between human suffering and animal suffering- we suffer a million times worse, b/c we're so aware of our suffering, and we have such a capacity to love, to imagine, to yearn for better things.

But yes, animals do suffer- which is why we should make all 10 million animal species go extinct- no more sufferign for any species. That's the best thing to do.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:47 am
Drews, Your posts are very disturbing to me and I'm sure many others!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:08 am
actually, dogs locked in cages do in fact go insane if left alone with no interaction with anyone.

you do not know what you are talking about.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 04:05 am
drews wrote:

Animals feel 'pain' b/c they have nervous systems as well, but unlike humans they don't have a surplus of awareness that makes suffering a million times worse. If you lock a dog in a cage for 10 years, it'll just lay there; lock a human up in a cage for 10 years, he'll moan and yearn for his family, and when you let him out he'll fall to his knees like andy in shawshank. that's the difference between human suffering and animal suffering- we suffer a million times worse, b/c we're so aware of our suffering, and we have such a capacity to love, to imagine, to yearn for better things.

But yes, animals do suffer- which is why we should make all 10 million animal species go extinct- no more sufferign for any species. That's the best thing to do.

Reminds me of some kind of emo attitude where all you see is the suffering, and you completely ignore all the joy and laughter of the world.

Happiness is very relative, but I think the brain is wired to feel happy most of the time. It makes sense that you don't hate every single aspect of your life.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:32 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Happiness is very relative, but I think the brain is wired to feel happy most of the time.
Perhaps. But my relatively few painful feelings still greatly outweigh all of my happy ones. I can't imagine it being much different for anyone else; I think we just tend to forget (quite understandably).
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:39 pm
echi wrote:
Chumly--
Okay...Clearly aka was anthropomorphizing. But does that necessarily make his argument fallacious?
Chumly wrote:
Echi, more to the point can you quickly sum what you believe akaMechsmith's argument is as it pertains to your question (my brain is running on sadness)?

No, not quickly. I am still thinking about it. . .
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:36 pm
Drew,

Human "surfeit of awareness" is simply a result of a surfeit of intelligence.
We have more brains as a species than we know what to do with.

With the ability to feel pain also comes the ability to feel love Exclamation With the ability to see ugliness comes the ability to see beauty Exclamation With the ability to make medicines comes the ability to make bombs. Exclamation

IMO we should be able to use our intelligence for other purposes than killing others of our own or other species, and destroying our Earth whilst we are about it.

Idea Second point is that humans and their societies are largely governed by a set of stimuli that is very similar in actions and results to that of the so called lower animals. Those that deny this simple fact have their heads in the sand and cause a horrific amount of avoidable pain and suffering to all species that have are able to appreciate it.

We, the great unwashed, must demand better from our preachers and politicians and other leaders.

But Drew, instead of attempting to kill off this great experiment in evolution with all its promise, I would prefer to attempt to channel it or (shame it) into acting intelligently. We have the brains for it.

I may be on a "fools errand" Exclamation It may be impossible for a species that IMO has evolved from clay to ever reach for a star. Crying or Very sad but I can hope that it is not. Very Happy
0 Replies

drews

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 10:46 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Drew,

Human "surfeit of awareness" is simply a result of a surfeit of intelligence.
We have more brains as a species than we know what to do with.

With the ability to feel pain also comes the ability to feel love Exclamation With the ability to see ugliness comes the ability to see beauty Exclamation With the ability to make medicines comes the ability to make bombs. Exclamation

IMO we should be able to use our intelligence for other purposes than killing others of our own or other species, and destroying our Earth whilst we are about it.

Idea Second point is that humans and their societies are largely governed by a set of stimuli that is very similar in actions and results to that of the so called lower animals. Those that deny this simple fact have their heads in the sand and cause a horrific amount of avoidable pain and suffering to all species that have are able to appreciate it.

We, the great unwashed, must demand better from our preachers and politicians and other leaders.

But Drew, instead of attempting to kill off this great experiment in evolution with all its promise, I would prefer to attempt to channel it or (shame it) into acting intelligently. We have the brains for it.

I may be on a "fools errand" Exclamation It may be impossible for a species that IMO has evolved from clay to ever reach for a star. Crying or Very sad but I can hope that it is not. Very Happy

What idealistic fools like you don't realize is that it doesn't matter whether we develop interstellar space travel or not. WE ARE GOING NOWHERE BUT EXTINCTION.

Discontinue the human race, then kill all life on earth. Do it now, rather than waiting for it to happen later when millions more have suffered.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 10:56 pm
Chumly,
You made the case that certain species lack the physical characteristics necessary to experience sensations similar to those we associate with pain. These animals still, however, react to harmful stimuli in predictable ways, and the reason, it seems, is that pain is not a physical sensation but a mental or emotional response to a physical sensation.

(I will wait for your constructive criticism before I proceed.) Neutral
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:14 am
Here is my response to Asherman's views that "Fire Ants are not sentient, nor do they suffer" as found on a thread called "Ants Test Non Violence of Buddhist Monks"
Asherman wrote:
So far as we can tell, Fire Ants are not sentient, nor do they suffer.
Your claim that fire ants are not sentient is dubious, here's why
Quote:
Sentience refers to possession of sensory organs, the ability to feel or perceive, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness. The possession of sapience is not a necessity. The word sentient is often confused with the word sapient, which can connote knowledge, consciousness, or apperception. The root of the confusion is that the word conscious has a number of different usages in English. The two words can be distinguished by looking at their Latin roots: sentire, "to feel"; and sapere, "to know".
Your claim that fire ants do not suffer is dubious; you're applying your own brand of anthropomorphic idealizations, here's why: although insects and other arthropods don't have nociceptors, they can feel sensations, but the consensus appears to be that pain is not one of them, however they can suffer in that
Quote:
If we make 'feel pain' a short-hand for whether or not an insect can be annoyed by interference, the answer is almost certainly yes (although they probably don't feel /annoyed/ in the human being sense). They are capable of responding quite negatively (if you've been stung by a bee, you already know this) to averse stimuli that they have cognized as 'interference', a physical threat to their well-being, etc. This doesn't mean the insect thinks about it, debates the morality, etc., or is even capable of 'if this things keeps bugging me, then I will sting it'. It's much more rudimentary (but how much more rudimentary is a good question, which brings us to the next possible definition).

If we make 'feel pain' a short-hand for whether or not an insect is able to cognize massive damage to itself as a result of averse/painful stimuli, the answer is yes. Put a lobster in a boiling pot of water, rips a bees wings off, it doesn't make them very happy. Unlike bacteria, which are also capable of responding to averse stimuli, insects are clearly capable of entertaining the proposition that considerable, unwanted harm is being done to them.

Anyhow, the gist of which is that operational definitions come into central play when we try to answer the question 'do insects feel pain'? These definitions are often coloured by anthropocentrism and anthropomorphism unavoidably.

And, the questions themselves often require a background in biology (do the nerves respond and how do they connect?), ethology (what do animals do 'normally', and what makes a particular response to a particular behaviour noteworthy), cognitive science (what propositions/thoughts/feelings/etc., if any, is species A capable of experiencing?) and to a certain degree, philosophy of mind (although I look forward to philosophy dropping out of the equation eventually).
Fun sources:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/insects-feel-pain.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/insects-feel-pain.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentience[/quote]
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:20 am
Re: I hope the human race ends ASAP (serious, no trolling)
drews wrote:

Anyways: until our species dies, millions of 'good' people will continue to suffer and die horribly, and millions of 'bad' people' will continue to prosper. I care an inordinate amount about the suffering of the good, and I know that it really won't end for good until extinction occurs. Yes, I know that many 'good' people are also happy in life, but the suffering of the other good people is more important to me.

What makes you think the suffering good people would not prefer a suffering existence to your adolescent solution?

I love life, both the good and the bad. There needs to be bad for there to be good. There needs to be suffering for there to be pleasure, and most people (especially after the teenage morbidity dies down) come to varying degrees of acceptance with that fundamental reality.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:22 am
Thanks, Chumly.
If I understand correctly, your position is that there is insufficient evidence to make a judgment either way.
But, since this question applies to everyday life (for some, at least), we still are forced to decide which is more likely true. For example, I accept the label "atheist", not because I know for sure that there are no gods, but because I live my life according to the belief that there are no gods. Likewise, whenever I am faced with the decision to either kill an insect or not kill an insect, I choose to not kill.
Come to think of it, is it not the same for every belief?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:11 pm
It seems to me that only humans "suffer" in the sense that they evaluate their pain (and regret the inevitable end of pleasures) WITH REFERENCE TO the ego-self that other animals seem not to have. Our capacity to evaluate experience, to regret and anticipate means that our suffering is of a qualitatively different nature than that of the simple (yet not to be minimized) pain of other animals.
The ability to love both one's pain and pleasure (and to appreciate their interdependence) is a form of enlightenment, both in the sense of the zen perspective and that of Nietzsche's "amor fati." Congratultions, Craven.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:01 pm
I will bring both Craven and JLN's most recent posts into question (hey why not it might be interesting).

If one assumes that your view is either a "fundamental realty" or the "fundamental realty" (and I am not necessarily arguing it is or is not) then it begs the question if one was to have a life (or perhaps some portion thereof) in which that aspect was in full neutrality that would by your stance be nonexistence.

For example sleep comes to mind (perhaps even with the inclusion of dreams) in which neither suffering nor pleasure play an relevant role.

Also to the point why does this belief that there needs to be bad for there to be good need to play out over any and all given time periods? It seems to me that if I can identify any time period all in which this belief does not necessarily have validity then it's fair to say that by your belief that portion of time could be argues to be equivalent of nonexistence.

Also by that token one might justify the type of war exemplified by prejudice, cruelty and ignorance and not simply war for the sake of the betterment of mankind (if it can be agued that there is such a thing).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:23 pm
echi wrote:
Thanks, Chumly.
If I understand correctly, your position is that there is insufficient evidence to make a judgment either way.
I don't have any definitive answers but it appears insects cannot feel pain in the direct sense that higher animals can. It would be a cool thing to learn more about that for sure!
echi wrote:
But, since this question applies to everyday life (for some, at least), we still are forced to decide which is more likely true. For example, I accept the label "atheist", not because I know for sure that there are no gods, but because I live my life according to the belief that there are no gods. Likewise, whenever I am faced with the decision to either kill an insect or not kill an insect, I choose to not kill.
Come to think of it, is it not the same for every belief?
Yipes I am not expert on belief and/or the nature of knowledge by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me that to varying degrees these things would swing from the very subjective (your feelings towards me) to having a reasonable degree of objectivity (the natural sciences).

Your concern over the plight of insects in terms of if they feel pain (by what ever measure you consider apropos) would be rather subjective me thinks.

However I can perhaps counter the arguably subjective nature of both your concern over the plight of insects and your feelings towards me because with modern science I could measure the results of your emotional responses at least to some degree, and at least in some sense "prove" that they exist empirically.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:01 pm
Chumly wrote:
if one was to have a life (or perhaps some portion thereof) in which that aspect was in full neutrality that would by your stance be nonexistence.

No, I don't think it would be nonexistence. Except in that I don't think such exists.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:57 pm
To anyone who might be interested, I started a new thread on the topic of speciesism so as not to interfere with the current topic of destroying all life on the planet.
0 Replies