I hope the human race ends ASAP (serious, no trolling)

drews

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:16 am
I'm not a troll, I'm being 100 percent serious here.

First off: can I ask that only atheists respond to this post? Only atheists know the truth about reality, so only they are qualified to speak on this subject.

Anyways: until our species dies, millions of 'good' people will continue to suffer and die horribly, and millions of 'bad' people' will continue to prosper. I care an inordinate amount about the suffering of the good, and I know that it really won't end for good until extinction occurs. Yes, I know that many 'good' people are also happy in life, but the suffering of the other good people is more important to me.

So I'm hoping we go extinct asap. Because I know that there's no magic man in the sky who's going to one day destroy the 'bad' and give the 'good' eternal life in a paradise.

ps: 'good' and 'bad' are subjective terms, and most people are not completely one or the other. Still, though, let's not debate the meaning of the terms; we all know generally what I'm getting at. Just address the main point.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,652 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:34 am
Re: I hope the human race ends ASAP (serious, no trolling)
drews wrote:

Oh yeah? Shocked Shocked

drews wrote:
First off: can I ask that only atheists respond to this post? Only atheists know the truth about reality, so only they are qualified to speak on this subject.

No, you can't. Everybody is free to post here.

François-Marie Arouet wrote:
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

drews wrote:
'good' and 'bad' are subjective terms

Indeed, and you are being bad in wishing the extinction of the humankind..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:57 am
drews wrote:
So I'm hoping we go extinct asap.

you first, we'll be right behind you
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:43 am
I disagree, for the simple reason that humankind may one day reach the as yet unatainable goal of becoming civilized. If we should survive as a species for, say, another five hundred years, it just may happen. My guess is as good as yours here.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:47 am
One thing is sure, there will never be peace on earth with 6 billion of us.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:12 am
You own a Marylin Manson t-shirt, don't you?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:22 am
who? me?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:37 am
Quote:

There is no reason you can't be a 100 percent serious troll. The contents of you post suggest this is, in fact, the case. If I interpret your post correctly (and correct me if I'm wrong) you are a Christian and your post is supposed to make us see how pointless life is without believing in your God.

Of course this whole idea is nonsense.

There is suffering in the world... but there is a lot of beauty as well. Living a good life means doing whatever you can to bring out, and enjoy to the fullest, the beauty.

This morning I woke up and was greeted by my incredible two year old daughter. She is now talking and is the most incredibe person. She met me with excitement because she wanted to use glue little cotton balls onto popsicle sticks from the new art stuff we bought.

Without life, this miraculous occurance never would have happened.

Life is what it is. You accept the painful with the miraculous. We all do our best to make sense of the suffering. But this doesn't mean we can't accept the wonderous things that life brings.

In this respect, there is no difference between believers and atheists.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:00 am
This is gonna be quick I hope.

It is necessary for any species of self replicating organism to have some method of determining conditions which can extinguish it. Shocked

Consequently we must have individual pain and suffering or else we die out as a species. Sad

It is also possible, for the sake of this arguement, to regard our societies, whether they be family, tribe or nation as organisms, the difference being that they are brought into existence by the use of intelligence which is a survival mechanism adopted by humans. Since they are "organisms" they also must have some method of determining conditions that can extinguish it, and with it, its members.

Consequently humans, wolves, amoebae, and bacteria all must feel pain and hunger for that is the only method worked out so far to insure the avoidance of things that will kill us and acceptance of things that will benefit us.

Suffering requires intelligence and imagination to exist as part of the human condition. ie. fear.

If we did not "fear" pain then we would be very likley to perform acts that would kill us.

So since the formation of societies is a survival method adopted by "intelligent species" we will always have some form of competition.

Currently it is "wars and rumors of wars". Crying or Very sad Hopefully an intelligent species can find a better way. Exclamation
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:14 am
Coolwhip wrote:
who? me?

No, the original poster. Mr. Doom n' Gloom.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:57 am
drews,

Yes there may well be a fair likelihood, given Man's present conditions that "millions of 'good' people will continue to suffer and die horribly, and millions of 'bad' people' will continue to prosper." History suggests this condition is nothing new.

The question I would pose is what will Man (or the artificial progeny of Man) become via the application of technology?

Suffering and horrible death as you have referred to it in your post is (arguably) less plausible going forward if we entertain the notions of space travel, cybernetics, artificial intelligence, robotics, cyberspace etc.

If Man's progeny is in fact substantially different than at present, it's quite conceivable that the concepts of suffering and death as you propose them simply will not continue to be applicable.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 12:06 pm
I think the difference between my response to the question, and AKA's response is interesting.

There is a quote about either seeing everthing as miraculous, or nothing as miraculous that I can't find right now (it might be from Einstein?)

If you look at nature as nature, then Drews would have to desire the elimination of all life (not just human life).

There are mice savagely eaten by cats, there are spiders who kill and eat their husbands and lots of animals that will kill and eat their own offspring. There are ant wars and bee wars that are far more savage and bloody than any human conflict.

The rest of nature is no different than human nature.

I still far prefer to look at the beauty that is life. The universe would be awfully cold and boring without it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 12:17 pm
ebrown_p,

You might be interested to know that the general scientific consensus as per spiders, ants, bees etc is that they do not have sophisticated enough nervous systems to feel pain (at least as you and I would understand the physical sensation).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:41 pm
Drews, I agree with Francis that it is not "good" to wish the distinction of humankind (he and I are human beings). But did not the sage, Silenus, tell Midas--when asked for his wisest understanding--that the best thing is to never have been born (to be nothing) and the second best thing is to have died very young?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:04 pm
ebrown, I agree that at one level "the rest of nature is no different than human nature". From the frame of reference of our usual moral and value systems we are equally "vicious."
From a perspective that goes (to quote the title of one of Nietzsche's books) everything is ULTIMATELY beyond good and evil, and from the perspective of Buddhism's Heart Sutra to see Reality as it is requires we transcend all oppositions, including "good" and "bad".
When--as the edifying myth goes--Adam and Eve learned of [the distinction between] Good and Evil they were [automatically, I say] cast out of the bliss called Eden.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:07 pm
Frankly, I take Drew's statement seriously and see some wisdom in it.
0 Replies

pstewart

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 05:03 pm
The Drews of the world see their glasses as half empty. The folks who are making the best of an imperfect world see their glasses as half full. Maybe we'd all be better off if the folks who want to eliminate human suffering by eliminating those people who suffer were themselves gone from the world. For me, my half full glass of life is a delight I cherish, regardless of where it came from.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 05:39 pm
I agree with edgarblythe and pstewart.

We should not be looking to eradicate humanity because we are imperfect and we suffer. We should be looking towards a world where we do not cause each other to suffer. It is a long way off, but that should be our goal.

Oscar Wilde once said "We are all in the gutter. But some of us are looking at the stars!"

Turn over Drews - look at the stars!
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 05:59 pm
ebrowne,

The beauty of a sunset is in no way diminished by a modest understanding of optics and refraction.

The pleasure of good company is not lessened by an understanding of how societies work.

The pain I feel as I watch the various Gods warring in the Mid-East and Africa is in no way lessened simply by understanding the rules of survival as pertains to societies and religions. Shocked

But I hope that the more we understand HOW things do work the better the chance that we can think of a way to make them work better.

I, for one, am a bit dissatisfied with the way the world works now Crying or Very sad

A good mechanic should be able to fix it Very Happy
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:04 pm
Please Refrain from Procreating

Read this story this morning. An interesting take on how to make the world a better place (gender neutral one-child families).
0 Replies