I hope the human race ends ASAP (serious, no trolling)

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:16 pm
Chumly,

I am afraid that pain of one sort or another is necessary even for spiders to survive. Just because we humans are unable to understand a spiders pain is no proof that it doesn't exist. Also a smattering of imagination must be necessary for a spider to anticipate that some noises or shadows may result in pain and take some positive steps to avoid dangers. I am afraid that this is necessary to some degree for any sucessful mobile species.

Generally the Jains of India take this concept much further than westerners do.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:42 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Please Refrain from Procreating

Read this story this morning. An interesting take on how to make the world a better place (gender neutral one-child families).
From what I can tell of the writer's views I share them. I see little logic or responsibility in such a massive population, and in having kids (for the most part).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:46 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Chumly,

I am afraid that pain of one sort or another is necessary even for spiders to survive. Just because we humans are unable to understand a spiders pain is no proof that it doesn't exist. Also a smattering of imagination must be necessary for a spider to anticipate that some noises or shadows may result in pain and take some positive steps to avoid dangers. I am afraid that this is necessary to some degree for any sucessful mobile species.

Generally the Jains of India take this concept much further than westerners do.
You are anthropomorphizing characteristics not present in the creatures I refer to. Your claims have no basis in the Natural Sciences.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:16 pm
I do think that while other animals suffer and die as we do they do not a problem of it.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 04:24 am
humans definitely need to shed a few billion people. We are the scourge of the planet, polluters of everything we touch.

this isnt an opinion, its a fact. We are probablly the worst thing that could have happened to this planet. There sjust too many and we concentrate ourselves into tiny, hideously polluted toxin infested area of land called cities, when we should at least diffuse our toxic nature a little bit.

But we dont follow logic, we dont even follow the laws of nature.

we are more like a cancerous tumor to this planet than anything else.

we do need to die, for the sake of what might be the only "life" in this entire universe. What happens when we start nuking the entire planet because of our greed and stupidity? what happens if we radiate the planet so much, and pollute it so much, that life begins to fail completely?

what if our dumbasses kill any chance of life ever leaving earth?

I say humans are simply too stupid to last long anyways, we will either use up all the resources or murder each other so dont worry, our extinction is on the way!
0 Replies

drews

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 04:42 am
OGIONIK wrote:
humans definitely need to shed a few billion people. We are the scourge of the planet, polluters of everything we touch.

this isnt an opinion, its a fact. We are probablly the worst thing that could have happened to this planet. There sjust too many and we concentrate ourselves into tiny, hideously polluted toxin infested area of land called cities, when we should at least diffuse our toxic nature a little bit.

we do need to die, for the sake of what might be the only "life" in this entire universe. What happens when we start nuking the entire planet because of our greed and stupidity? what happens if we radiate the planet so much, and pollute it so much, that life begins to fail completely?

I say humans are simply too stupid to last long anyways, we will either use up all the resources or murder each other so dont worry, our extinction is on the way!

You sound like a VHEMT or Church of Euthanasia member.

Honestly, I disagree with those groups, b/c frankly I don't give much of a crap about non-human animals. Sure, the animals feel some pain, but they don't suffer like we do. Screw them, Laughing we're the real tragedy. We didn't choose to come into existence.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 05:51 pm
That is a HUGE stretch.....
[/QUOTE]The contents of you post suggest this is, in fact, the case. If I interpret your post correctly (and correct me if Iamb wrong) you are a Christian and your post is supposed to make us see how pointless life is without believing in your God.
Quote:

Why would that comment make him a Christian. There is no connection whatsoever to what he said to what a Christian believes. I think what he says is weightless and meaningless. No real thought there if you ask me. Not necessarily a troll though either.

A believer would say that God is in control. He allowed us to make decisions that would impact the rest of our existence on this earth. The choices we make everyday impact someone around us. And the consequences we serve are in many ways our penance. When we are unkind and when we break vows people are hurt and marriages crumble. When we abuse drugs and alcohol and have sex outside of marriage, we spread communicable diseases. Bad things happen. And honestly - we are all bad in one way or another. There are glimpses of good as well...but anything that is good in us has been placed there by the powers that be....God - if you will. A believer would say that we brought this garbage on ourselves and we work everyday with the help of the Holy Spirit - given to us when Jesus was resurrected from the dead - to incorporate the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives to make us better and to help us serve each other better. The fruit of the spirit being - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness goodness and self control. When we live our life as Jesus did - considering others better than himself and being a servant (see Philippians 2) then we start reversing the considerable damage our choice to sin makes. But it is constant and it will not end until God decides it is enough. And it is not enough to get us into heaven - but we strive to do it because of our love for him. He then will raise those who have believed his name - who know they are indeed sinners and needed the blood of God's Son (that's Jesus) who died on the cross for those sins - willingly - because he loves us. And Jesus did not stay dead but was resurrected and lives with his heavenly Father. Now God...being God and being totally and completely holy cannot bear us because of our being sinful. But because his son sacrificed his life for us - when we believe in Jesus and understand our need of a Savior - God sees us through a filter...the blood of his son. We are considered children of God and are admitted to heaven when we die....and at the end of time...when God says "enough", we are assured of our place in heaven.

Now that...is what a believer would say...a believer would have never even asked the question....we know the end of the story...no guesswork there!

Now...That has no connection with what our dear troll said.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 05:57 pm
OGIONIK wrote:

Given that we know (as well as science can know anything) that this planet will one day be consumed by our sun as it swells into its red giant phase, and that the likelihood of mass extinctions of all life on it due to asteroid impacts and/or volcanism well before that time is very great, your argument loses its foundation.

Indeed it is no argument at all - just a sappy assemblage of of the banalities of PC cant. However, sophomoric as it is, this line of thought has many advocates. I believe this explains much of the attractiveness of the AGW cult that infects so many people.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:17 pm
Chumly wrote:
akaMechsmith wrote:
Chumly,

You are anthropomorphizing characteristics not present in the creatures I refer to. Your claims have no basis in the Natural Sciences.

That was not anthromorphizing. That was attempting to describe a negative stimulus. Humans call a negative stimulus "pain". Humans call anticipation of negative stimuli "suffering".

I am not aware that ants and spiders (or entomologists) have a word to describe those type of stimuli so I was forced in my ignorance to use everyday english.

I am quite certain that some response to negative stimuli is requisite for an auto mobile, successful species. Whether instinctive or learned the response must be there. Naturally I'd expect a wide variety in the responsees between species. To expect a cow to dive into a groundhog hole would be just silly. Very Happy

Spend a few hours poking sticks into an anthill some day. Test the spiders responses as you tickle her web. You may learn something. Obviously the book was insufficient to the task. Sad
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:55 pm
akaMechsmith,

The fact that you say "pain of one sort or another is necessary even for spiders to survive" is clear anthropomorphizing.

The fact that you say "imagination must be necessary for a spider to anticipate that some noises or shadows may result in pain and take some positive steps to avoid dangers" is clear anthropomorphizing.

Your specious claim that you need to use "everyday english" underlines the obvious fact that the Natural Sciences have marginal effect on your fantasies.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:00 am
georgeob1 wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

Given that we know (as well as science can know anything) that this planet will one day be consumed by our sun as it swells into its red giant phase, and that the likelihood of mass extinctions of all life on it due to asteroid impacts and/or volcanism well before that time is very great, your argument loses its foundation.

Indeed it is no argument at all - just a sappy assemblage of of the banalities of PC cant. However, sophomoric as it is, this line of thought has many advocates. I believe this explains much of the attractiveness of the AGW cult that infects so many people.

aCTUALLY, IT ONLY FURTHERS MY POINT. I said what if our stupidity eliminates the chance of life ever leaving this planet.

Why would i state it like that? because if life on our planet is the only life in the universe, and we kill ourselves off, we could effectivelly stop any chance of life propagating through the universe before the supernova which would then completely eliminate life from the universe (if you assume we are the only life in the universe, which we should, because we have no proof at all of other life anywhere else)

But its all good, i still think we are too idiotic to make it to interstellar space travel anyways. And then think, instead of war between countries we would have planetary wars! oh yay!

But seriously, look at the amount of garbage you create, then think there are 6 billion people doing the same thing.

Sometimes i think the earth naturally tries to get rid of us human viruses.

But if you believe humans are somehow clean and good for the environment your wrong, we are horrible, But it could also be the few bad apples among us making it worse for everyone, but i cant say humans are good without looking at how much bad we do, oh you could say art is a good thing, for the beauty of the statue of david even i must admit is breathtaking, but then when i see oil spills, nuclear bomb testing, garbage dumps, it makes me feel sad for this planet. imagine the ocean, a constant stream of toxic pollutants constantly coming in through runoff and through polluted rivers and streams. And all because us humans want to make our owns lives easier? FOr our "convenience" WE DESTROY OUR HOME?

Humans do not provide more than they take, we our ineffecient consumers. Lazy overfed whiny weak and really stupid. But i think robotics will enable us to overcome alot of the BS we have now, i mean soon we will have robots to complete all of our laborious chores, which will mean the intelligent people will be able to devote their lives to becoming smarter, the dedicated will be able to complete lifelong projects, and the lazy and weak minded will be able to sit around and eat all day while robots work fields to provide the world with food while solar power gives us free energy.

That is, unless we are too stupid to even accomplish that. Im sure there will be a time when they quit trying to put a meter on everything, until then we are doomed to these cycles of war AND GENERAL STUPIDITY.
wtf my cpas lock keys turns on when i hit enter, AWESOME!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 04:17 pm
Computers and other robotic devices might make us more effective regarding certain kinds of ("engineering") functions, but they are unlikely to make us wiser.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 04:52 pm
Can wisdom be sustainable bereft of knowledge?

Can extensions of human ability (robotics, cybernetics, artificial intelligence) be portals to wisdom?

Can systems surpassing humanity (robotics, artificial intelligence) provide safe cushioning for wisdom man cannot embrace?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 04:56 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
Sometimes i think the earth naturally tries to get rid of us human viruses.

If that is the case why should we care about your proposition?

More proof of the sappy illogic of these ideas.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 06:11 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Chumly wrote:

That was not anthromorphizing. That was attempting to describe a negative stimulus. Humans call a negative stimulus "pain". Humans call anticipation of negative stimuli "suffering".[. . .]

Chumly--
Okay...Clearly aka was anthropomorphizing. But does that necessarily make his argument fallacious?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 06:25 pm
drews wrote:
I care an inordinate amount about the suffering of the good, and I know that it really won't end for good until extinction occurs. Yes, I know that many 'good' people are also happy in life, but the suffering of the other good people is more important to me.

There you were, a man(?) after my own heart.

And then you go and post this load of crap:
drews wrote:
. . . I don't give much of a crap about non-human animals. Sure, the animals feel some pain, but they don't suffer like we do. Screw them, Laughing we're the real tragedy. We didn't choose to come into existence.

Just when I thought I had found someone really special, it turns out you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall. Thanks for nuthin'.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 06:37 pm
Chumly, You haven't convinced me Sad
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:50 pm
Chumly asks if wisdom can be sustainable bereft of knowledge? " Perhaps you cannot have wisdom without a degree of (some forms of) knowledge, but it is possible to generate wisdom solely from the kind of knowledge that can be generated by scientific technology--or from any kind of knowledge per se?
This requires, of course, another thread on the nature of "wisdom", no easy task.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:52 pm
P.S.

When a horse limps on his thrush (athletes foot for hoofed organisms)infected foot What would you call the stimulus Question

When a lamb screams with his stomachs bloated from overeating disease
(enterotoxemia) What stimulus may cause that Question

When a calf jumps in the air and passes out after you cut off his testicles what would you call that stimulus Question

When you run over a snakes tail he acts in a very similar manner that I do when it bang my finger with a hammer. Since the snake is bereft a larynx it doesn't cuss audibly though. But I'd bet he would if he could Very Happy

Why do you think the veterinarians use anesthetic during surgeries Question

If "pain" is not an appropriate word for that stimuli could you please enlighten us.

Anthromorphasizing is attributing human characteristics to animals.
I prefer to point out the characteristics that all species (including human) have in varying degrees largely depending on the equipment that they have developed over the ages.

If you would prefer to think humans are substantially different that's your privilege. Sometime you may try to show it Exclamation Bet ya can't Exclamation
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
I'll say this much, you guys can put a smile on my face, in light of my wonderful dog's recent demise it's something I can appreciate however it may come my way.

Echi, more to the point can you quickly sum what you believe akaMechsmith's argument is as it pertains to your question (my brain is running on sadness)?

JLNobody, I tend to at-the-least want to believe that wisdom can come from the knowledge generated by science/technology. But then some of that idealism stems from the Golden Age of SF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Science_Fiction
0 Replies