Getting your house ready to sell

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:23 am
Since we won't be in the house I don't think the cooking thing will work.

Our yard is well planted. In front we have three very mature trees and ornamental beds that run along the entire front of the house so I think we're okay there.

There are a few "extras" that will be left behind -- a great component storage/workbench thing in the garage and two huge planters filled with dazzling ferns.

I'm really torn about the floor. It's perfect for a kids room. All Mo's friends love love love it. But it is a little nutty what with the section of metal/magnetic walls and such. It would make a great nursery or craft room because it is so super easy to clean.

A hair dryer on the window, osso? Would that help to get the film off?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:42 am
I think you might need a paint stripping heatgun for the stuff on the window but try a hairdryer first. maybe some of that paint stripping goo that you paint on then scrape off. Meytholated spirits or acetone (nail polish remover) might also work.

I'm not allowed to use the hairdryer unsupervised cause I blew up the last one drying out the inside of my gumboots (wet weather rubber boots).

When we bought the new hairdryer she made me read the instructions. Under the warnings it said;
DO NOT USE WHILE BATHING. Ok I can see that.
DO NOT USE WHILST SLEEPING. Like yeah, I always dry my hair while I'm asleep.

Absolutly nowhere did it say DO NOT DRY WET GUMBOOTS.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:57 am
Boomer--

Talk to an experienced realtor. You're going to be paying her a commission, why not use her expertise to the fullest extent.

This would also give you an unofficial "in" for families hoping to get settled before the school year starts.

My guess is that an allergy-free room might be a selling point, but that is only a guess. Talk to an experienced realtor. You might save yourself time as well as money.
0 Replies

mmcleskey

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:59 am
Selling
Your asking price and how much effort must be made in repainting can make a huge difference--even with a very nice home with major improvements. My relatives put an offer on an otherwise faboulous house (built 1980s) because they were the only ones willing to paint. See photos:

http://search.har.com/engine/harphotogallery.cfm?MLNUM=6518773&leadid=6&portalid=HAR

The foyer of this home has 20 ft high ceilings, so all who viewed it prior to them didn't want to do the work (especially when they can buy brand new with and ready to move in with no extra effort.) This house sat on the market for over a year because the current owners refused to repaint in neutral or white--no potential buyers could get past the shocking colors. The owners also had to settle for much less than the asking price.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:39 am
That is some blue!

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/57/hr1962557-2.jpg

From the buyer's side of it, I love getting good deals because of paint. Of all possible problems, it's one of the easiest and least expensive to solve.

But yeah, that certainly shows that many people are unwilling to look past non-neutral colors...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:44 am
ACK! I love to paint but that might have scared me off!

The house we just bought was sold "As Is" and also requires some imagination.

I just painted Mo's room a soft blue which makes it official -- I can't live here anymore. I love the color blue but have never been a big fan of blue paint. My research showed that it is the number one color choice for bedrooms so I went with it.

I painted the guest room a nondiscript tan.

It all looks a little plain to me but I suppose plain is good.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:46 am
That blue is hideous!! And that's me talking who has orange and yellow walls Embarrassed

THen again, looking at the other pictures, I definitely can see the potential
in that house and if I could get a good deal on it, I'd buy it!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
Yes, that blue might be okay for a blouse but it would give me a headache if it were in my house.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:50 am
I once looked at a house that had tartan wallpaper in the toilet.

Man, that would be hard to take on the morning after a big night out.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:07 am
How the hell did they get the paper to stay stuck? More importantly, why? Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:20 am
THey were probably from Scotland and homesick in far a way Australia Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:31 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:46 am
Hey Boomer, as to the gardens - a coat of some sort of mulch can really finish the garden and pull it together.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:53 am
dadpad wrote:
Bathrooms and kitchens sell houses.

Subtle bread, cake smells are good or herbs like marjoram, thyme, lemon grass. Marjoram and thyme for the living room, lemon in the kitchen, laundry, and lavender in the bathroom, but must be subtle. Purchase those car freshners and hide them in pots of dried arrangements or silk flowers. Leather is another good smell.

People LOVE to get something for nothing, what can you "leave behind". An old steamer trunk with rustic appeal? Not too big mind, if they don't want it it might be a hassel to get rid of. Perhaps something in the shed/workshop/garage.

On Paint I'd go with off white. Yellow and blue tones. I'd also cover the black and white floor. Would a rug be suitable? Its a compromise between carpeting and not.
A generic painting/photo/picture of happy family (Doesnt have to be yours) in or near the entry way.

Manicured front garden. Less needs to be done in the back just neat and tidy.

Good luck
Bingo.

I prep houses for sell for a living. In fact i'm living in one I'm preping for sale right now.

I always tell people to prep their house to the point that they don't want to sell it and for that same reason someone will want to buy it.

But the market is so screwy right now in California we aint getting no bites.
0 Replies