Problem with possible MS system pop-ups

Foofie

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:09 pm
This Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP doesn't have Control Panel at the Start Menu. It has Set Program Access and Defaults which I'm told with a pop-up was restricted and I should contact the system administrator?
I continually get pop-up warnings that the computer is infected with whatever. I think this is from the Windows XP, but I don't see a Control Panel at the Start Menu to get to the Security Center and then disable these pop-ups?
Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 609 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:35 pm
Try going to "Start" and then "My Computer".

Look in the left-hand panel and see if the Control Panel is listed there under "Other Places".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:50 pm
No. I don't see that. I think Control Panel is just not part of this Dell computer installation?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:26 pm
Right click on your "Start" button, choose "Properties", then when the window opens, click on the "Start Menu" tab, then "Customize" and then the "Advanced" tab. Depending on how they've customized your version of XP you either make sure there is a check mark under Control Panel to "Show in start menu" or click the radio button to "Display as link".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:42 pm
Thank you for the effort, but there is no Control Panel listed there. It has My Computer, My Music, etc., but no Control Panel. Did we get a pig in a poke?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 09:05 pm
Well... I'm out of ideas at the moment! Razz
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:30 am
Thank you for your input.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:01 am
try this foofie.

start > run> type "control panel" in the box> click Ok.

I'm interested in the fact that you get pop-up warnings that the computer is infected.

Why would you turn off your security system if you are infected?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:25 am
I keep getting a message that the Control Panel is restricted and to see the system administrator? Thank you for the input. The reason I'd like to turn off the pop-up warnings is because I don't want to back up my files and reinstall, which is what I'm advised by a Dell online help person.
Somehow computers are less consumer friendly than I was led to believe; they're not cellphones! Thank you again.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:41 pm
Log onto your machine using the Administrator account.
0 Replies