Shameless Product Plug

cjhsa

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:44 am
I cannot say the name of the vendor but suffice to say it was a huge L.A. based restaurant that became famous for its seasoning salt and now markets spice mixes, sauces, and marinades. Last night I tried some of their "Sesame Ginger Marinade with Mandarin Orange Juice" on some pork rib chops - which I then grilled - and oh man - were they ever good.

Just had to share this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:01 am
Funny you should mention orange and ginger, a combination which I love. Just yesterday, I found that my supermarket carried a new salad dressing. It is called Naturally Fresh Mandarin Orange Salad Dressing. Yummy!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:32 am
A few years ago I bought some of this stuff at a camp store in Yosemite and then made some of the best pork chops ever. But I threw the bottle away and forgot which variety I used. I've been using the regular "teriyaki" version ever since and could never duplicate the Yosemite chops. I wrote it off as mountain air and a wood fire. But the key was simply buying the right marinade.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:35 am
bookmarking

I have thought of products I'd like to mention in the past...have to give it some thought.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:04 am
Why can't the products be named? I doubt that cjhsa owns either the restaurant or the licensing outfit.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:08 am
You can say the product...you're not selling anything. Spill it, sucka.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:31 am
Its primary ingredient is high-fructose corn syrup (which is a lot of what makes it tasty). Maybe you could try to replicate it using the rest of the ingredients?

http://www.lawrys.com/images/products/Nutrition/Nutrition_111.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:34 am
Sounds like Lowery's to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:42 am
That's Lawry's....

going to dinner at the place - as I remember, the first one - on La Cienega was a big deal in the sixties..

I'm with ehBeth on making my own marinades, but can see trying the packaged ones for ideas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:04 am
I'm definitely not against prepared dressings, just kinda big on label-checking. Trying to steer away from HFCS whenever possible.

Grabbing ideas from the prepared dressings is a good way to go - there are websites where people have replicated some popular foods. Can be some good stuff there.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:15 am
I despise HFCS as well but it's in everything. They save a couple cents/bottle over using cane or beet sugar so that's what they use.

A few years ago I got censored for mentioning the name of a fertilizer I used in my garden, so I just don't do it anymore. Seems like you figured it out.

Anyway, HFCS or not, this makes for a great pork-out.
0 Replies