Judaism and Reformed Judaism

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:24 am
boutolliz wrote:
first of all, let us check some statements, what is judaism and christianism.
two religions, that believe in the same god, jesus is a prophet like many others that the jewishs believe in them, like elie, jakob, benyamin and many others...
so why they rejected jesus, because he comes to reform judaism, he is a prophet, with his miracles he showed that he is a prophet, if we trust in the ancient texts, so rejecting him means that we don't believe in god and then we are wrong. But we have a brain and we can think, so we can refind the lost way, freedom gives the right to choose, off course, but choosing the wrong way does'nt give the right to escape to the punishment if we believe in life after death, paradise and hell. right?

I'm not sure that is entirely correct. Judaism, Christianity and Islam share the same 'god', but how it is interpereted in each religion is quite different. What I agree with what I think you are saying is the gift of 'free will', maybe one of the most misunderstood concepts of the Abramaic religions.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:46 am
Wheeee!!
Very Happy
How did I miss this nifty thread?
Let's throw my great honking opinion in here.
Jesus is relevant to Judaism only as one nation or people is relevant to another.
In other words, there is no "Jesus," meaning Christianity, in Judaism.
None. Nada. Zilch. He don't mean a thing, cause he ain't got that swing...
Whomever Jesus was around two thousand years ago is totally irrelevant to what people believe he was today.
And what people believe today gots no relationship to Judaism.
Judaism went on its own particular track for the last two thousand years and it has nothing to do with Christianity.
There is only a teeny tiny percentage of people on this planet who are even vaguely aware of the teachings and practice of Judaism. And that includes most Jews.
Most Torah observant Jews would argue (discreetly, trying not to upset the goyim), that Christians and Jews do not worship the same G-d, because Christians think that Jesus is G-d. This is problematical, to say the least.
Reform Judaism has been evolving into another religion for quite a number of years.
It appears to be slowly attempting to reconnect with Judaism as time goes by, but I'm not sure that it will be able to get there. It will certainly miss the mark if Reform Judaism attempts to reclaim Jesus.
That is a dead end...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:51 am
boutolliz
Did it ever occur to you that Jesus was just man like any other and that his prophet status and the stories attributed to him were just myths? This wrong way choice you speak about could be attributed to those who follow that path.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:56 am
Moishe3rd

In my opinion, not only was yours the best post in this entire thread, but definitely the only one that made me laugh out loud.

Thank you so much! :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:58 am
Moishe3rd
Judaism,reform or otherwise reclaiming Jesus? As Tevya would say impossible.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:26 am
graffiti wrote:
Moishe3rd

In my opinion, not only was yours the best post in this entire thread, but definitely the only one that made me laugh out loud.

Thank you so much! :wink:

I must echo that sentiment. Laughing
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 04:34 pm
Jesus, Shmesus

I've spoken to a journalist who wrote down all I said. When it was published the NEXT DAY she'd got it completely upside down.

Without any disrespect to Christians, what chance is there that Jesus did all that is written in the New Testament .... probably no more than Adam was tempted by an apple or the animals actually marched into Noah's ark two by two. What a thought that would be, no housetraining for the elephants!
0 Replies