Most over rated actor of all time

raprap

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 09:09 am
@Ticomaya,
Nicholas Cage was perfect as H.I. McDunnough---but then even a blind pig can find a truffle.
0 Replies

royable

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:12 am
@lovejoy,
Pierce Brosnan
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 12:33 pm
@raprap,
The same thing with Michael (don't chuck - them spears - at me) Caine.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 12:51 pm
@Old Goat,
I always liked Michael Caine. His only problem is that he makes too many movies. Several have turned out to be really bad films.

Caine understands the difference between film acting and stage acting. Subtle nuances can be picked up on film that would be lost in a stage performance. Caine knows how to work with cameramen and other film technicians.

An American actor told about a fencing scene he filmed with Caine. Caine and the American actor did the scene fairly well. The American actor told Caine that he had spent several hours practicing with a trainer to prepare. Caine advised him that you only need to rehearse enough to "look good on film." Professional training is not necessary.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 02:48 pm
He also (almost) never blinks.
raprap

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 02:07 am
@Old Goat,
One of my favorite movies is "The Man Who Would be King."

The buttons include Rudyard Kipling, John Hudson, Caine and Connery.

Rap
ragnel

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:37 pm
@raprap,
Good movie, that. He was also very good - though perhaps a similar role - in ZULU.

My pick for most overrated actor is Kevin Costner. Every film he wears one facial expression only, and he has a whining voice. Boring, boring, boring.

I once read he was trying to emulate Steve McQueen. Doesn't work, in my book.

KC was good in two films, Silverado and No Way Out. Dances With Wolves was a great film, but I can think of a dozen actors who could have filled his role better. His voice droning on and on almost had me asleep.
0 Replies

royable

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:56 pm
@lovejoy,
I'll nominate Tom Cruise.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:04 pm
There are so many bad and over rated actors out there, the question should
have been: who is really good? Hardly anyone qualifies nowadays!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
[W]ho is really good? Hardly anyone qualifies nowadays!

That level of cynicism is a tad too much.

Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, Ed Norton, Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, Ryan Gosling, .... I can go on with this arbitrary list of great actors who pick challenging roles and pull them off with consistency.

0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 01:01 am
Natalie Portman

Just saw her in "Garden State"
http://www.theonion.com/articles/garden-state-some-poor-fucks-favorite-movie,5675/
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 01:11 am
Pauly Shore and Will Ferrell - I don't why some people like them so much. They ARE NOT FUNNY.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 01:14 am
@lovejoy,
Angelina Jolie. Highly over rated and not really that great of an actress. She looks great though, I'll give her that.
Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 01:44 am
@Krumple,
I can easily understand how people might not like an overhyped, over-exposed actor. I also understand someone not liking an actor due to their public image or just plane disliking an actor's personality. However, I feel she's a pretty accomplished actor. Angelina Jolie is an Oscar-winning actress and a ton of people go to her movies. I've seen how the majority can often be wrong - especially when it comes to someone with model-good looks. IMHO, not in this case. She is well-trained (Lee Strassberg) and most of the time delivers a very credible performance.

My List of Current Actors -
Actors Who Can't Act:
Nicolas Cage, Kevin Costner, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stalone ... I feel these actors can't act a lick even though some of them have been in big hits.

Actors Who Can Act:
James Earl Jones, William H. Macy, Kevin Spacey, Edward Norton, Jeff Bridges, Colin Firth, Helen Mirren, Sean Penn, Johnny Depp, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Ryan Gosling, Clint Eastwood, Heath Ledger, Uma Thurman, Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Denzel W, Halle Berry, Renee Zellweger, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Duvall, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Kline for starters.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:45 pm
I'm going to say it...I never got the big woo about Laurence Olivier. Can't say I've seen a lot of his work but the parts I have seen, Heathcliff included, left me scratching my head and wondering what all of the noise was about.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:50 pm
@eoe,
It only took a month

http://able2know.org/topic/105915-48#post-4626894

eoe!

I've missed you.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:29 am
Kevin Costner - worst actor of all time - can only play one type of role and he's shitty even at that.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 09:31 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

I'm going to say it...I never got the big woo about Laurence Olivier. Can't say I've seen a lot of his work but the parts I have seen, Heathcliff included, left me scratching my head and wondering what all of the noise was about.

Perhaps Olivier was more impressive in stage performances than in film. John Gielguld mentioned that although it was possible to disagree with how Olivier interpreted a character, Olivier's execution of that interpretation was always brilliant.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 08:49 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Hilary Swank and Charlize Theron
Termite riddled wooden planks show far more emotion then these two alleged actresses.

My opinion has drastically shifted on Charlize Theron after seeing 2011's Young Adult, 2017's Atomic Blonde's and 2015's Mad Max: Fury Road.

She does have a strong range of emotion(or developed into having it over the years).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 09:10 am
I like some of the actors named. Years ago I might have added William Shatner to the list, but have decided against it.
0 Replies