Fred Thompson Running for President/ Law & Order

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 08:30 am
Heard something today that really upset me. Apparently if Fred Thompson runs for president, the Law & Order episodes that he is on will not be run on network TV. His last new episode will air in September. He was involved in L&O for 5 years, and appears in over 100 episodes. (Sam Waterston is being promoted to D.A.)

The reason for this, is that if he is on network TV, all the other candidates are entitled to demand equal time on the air, according to FCC regulations.

Now, Law & Order is being broadcast in reruns on cable TV. (TNT) Up until now, cable was exempt from the FCC rulings. It seems that a number of attorneys are sharpening their pencils, looking to extend the FCC ruling to the cable channels, so that all the latest L&O episodes could not be run.

What do you think? Should the FCC be involved in cable broadcasting?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,543 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 08:36 am
Huh!

That's an interesting twist...

Can't the other candidates just rustle up like a whole bunch of guest appearances...?

Laughing

I do see the point, though. Lots and lots of free advertising, and it's not like he's playing a lowlife... his character is this authority figure, plays right into a presidential bid.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 08:56 am
If his character that he plays in a TV show were running for president, I might consider this an issue.

I wonder, did they stop running Schwarzenegger movies when he was running for Governator?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 09:09 am
McGentrix- According to this news story, Bedtime for Bonzo and the Terminator movies were not seen on TV while the people involved were running for office.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
McGentrix- According to this news story, Bedtime for Bonzo and the Terminator movies were not seen on TV while the people involved were running for office.

You mean Bedtime for Bonzo wasn't aired during the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:48 am
http://www.mydd.com/story/2007/7/26/13148/1924

Sources close to the presumptive campaign tell NBC News that Fred Thompson's fundraising is down "markedly." One claimed it has "slowed down big-time." The pace is described as a consequence of the delayed announcement to enter the race.

"The Friends of Fred, Inc." will report to the IRS its revenue by July 31st. Sources reveal to NBC News that number will be in the range of about $3 million. Five million dollars had been the talked-about June goal. Sources describe an early burst of donations in June and say the summer fundraising has fallen off. While additional fundraisers are planned, sources say the scheduling of fundraisers was "frozen" for a time while the team was going through some internal strains.

---

Thompson is not, and never has been, a serious candidate. He is the 'great white hype' for the Republican party, and nothing more.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:19 am
agreed this guy is a non issue non player.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 01:28 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
agreed this guy is a non issue non player.

As far as I am concerned, Fred Thompson's candidacy is of very little importance to me. My beef is the possibility of taking Law & Order off cable TV. I think that the FCC needs to keeps their noses out of cable TV.
0 Replies