Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:34 pm
One of my 32 employees came to me this morning and said that he was leaving. He was a part-time worker, fitting in about 20 hours a week around his schedule as a full-time student at a major college in a sleepy town. He got his degree in May or June. Good kid; hard worker.
I asked him what he was planning to do. He said he was going to NYC. He had some friends there who had some floor space for him and his sleeping bag.
I said that I thought it was a great idea. He seemed to have some trepidation.

What were things like when you were 21?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,768 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:33 pm
Unfortunately, 21 was a very sad time for me because my father died :-(
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:49 pm
Very unsettled. I was in an emotionally abusive marriage, and was the victim of very bad counseling. Wouldn't EVER want to go back to those days...(shudder)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:15 pm
Looking back, I was queen of the world! The year I turned 21, I graduated from art school and began an apprenticeship with a very strong artist back in Chicago. Got dumped by my fiance (first heartbreak). When he tried to come back, I no longer wanted him haha. Did the disco thing to the max, every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday night. Screwed whoever I wanted (pre-AIDS, post-BC pills). 21 was sweet.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:23 am
Moved away from home, into the big city, in my first appartment! It was mine, but shared it with my best buddy, and that was excellent! We did almost everything together, except for the last three years! Even our military service we spent in the same company.

yup, sharing was the name of the game....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:32 am
Almost through university, involved with the wrong woman, but it was university :cool: Had a blast.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:36 am
God 21 !! Such a long time ago !!

Was halfway thru the third year at the uni (in a 4 yr course), already had a job with one of the best companies in the world, having two affairs at the same time.....

Life was good back then .....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:39 am
eoe's an artist! I didn't know that!

Lesse -- when I was 21 I completely corrupted a potential priest (he was already mostly corrupted before he met me), turned down a marriage proposal from him, broke his heart, and generally was a little strumpet. Sad Worked at the book store and at the office while going to school. Started (!) taking ASL classes. Took up with a gorgeous guy, found out that this other guy my friend had been trying to set me up forever with was his identical twin brother. Liked the first one better. Lived in a housing co-op. This weird semi-punk scientist guy with attitude wanted to live there, and started pursuing me. Beat out identical twin #1 and Guitar Guy (another suitor.) Married him four years later.

Flew off to England for a 6-month stay at the very end of my 21st year. Wow. It was a good one.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:53 am
I think I was 'guitar guy' at 21 as well...check out this thread to read some material from my youth, and some great posts by other A2Kers (feel free to submit):

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9948
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
Aargh. Things were awful for me at 21. I had a sick baby whose father (my first husband) gave me no emotional support. I drowned my sorrows in Dunkin' Donuts.

Happily, life got much much better subsequently.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:21 am
Not quite Dorothy Parker's "new peeled egg", but still shining bright. First love behind, marrriages yet to come and go, believed things work out, and now at almost three 21's, still do.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:24 am
Ah, I turned 21 during my first year in Law School. I believe at this point, my roommate had already had a meltdown and was fleeing school. She just packed up one day and took everything she had, leaving just her bike because she couldn't fit it in her car. We (the landlady, who lived there, too, and I) had no idea where the roommate was and the roomie's mother didn't know, either. Lots of fun calming down the roomie's hysterical mother, long distance, in broken English. Roomie finally came waltzing into her parents' home four hours later and announced she'd quit Law School. Oh yeah, roomie also skipped out on the rent.

Anyway, I got to learn a lot about breach of lease, first-hand.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 03:06 pm
Hi, thank y'all for the responses. Sometimes, after I hit the "submit" button I have "poster's remorse." I think that no one is going to have any interest and, worse, folks will think of me as a complete (vs an incomplete) fool. -realjohnboy-
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 04:33 pm
Good thread realjohnboy.

I was a student in Italy, when I was 21. I had a lot of friends. Read a lot, wrote a lot, studied a lot, partied a lot, learned a lot, travelled a lot. Had some sex, but I wished I had a lot. Had some worries, but no fears. Felt free.

Good times.
0 Replies