Black Snake Moan

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 06:59 pm
What do you think of this movie? It has some good moral and religious story to it. But I think the young skanky floozy who can't get enough of sex should have been played by Jessica Alba or Scarlett Johansson. Christina Ricci was okay playing that part and her body look nice but her face is not that hot.

BTW. Samuel L. Jackson was great in that movie also.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,506 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 07:06 pm
Haven't seen the film but from the preview I thought Christini Ricci looked anorexic and sick.

She looks much better with a few pounds on her bones. Her face is adorable.

I feel in love with her in Buffalo 66.

http://www.cinephiles.net/Buffalo_66/Ricci.jpg

Sorry, but this is just TOO thin.

http://extracine.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/black-snake-moan-trailer.jpg

Otherwise, I think she's a great actress.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 07:28 pm
She looked fine to me for the part - the skanky part she played didn't call for someone voluptuous. I was suprised that I ended up liking this movie.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:27 am
I'm gonna have to rent the DVD when it comes out.

I don't doubt she looked fine for the part, I just worry when I see someone get so much thinner than they ever were. She certainly wasn't heavy before.

I wonder if she lost weight just for that part.....to look skanky.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:57 pm
That one picture doesn't do justice to how she really looked, IMO.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:59 pm
Skanky floozies are good no matter who's playing them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:03 pm
Laughing

I have a weakness for skanky country floozies...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:11 pm
I agree Snood. We should get together for a beer sometime and talk about skanky floozies we have known.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 05:58 am
I just saw this last night and i truly loved it.

I was honestly expecting a silly, non - serious kind of movie and that is not at all what I got.

I dont see any 'moral or christian' rules any where in the story. It isnt about a church lesson. The person who finds Christina's character happens to be a christian and in the begining he does try to slather her with christian rules and such... But he ends up giving up and realizing that people will live how they want. It in that , that thier relationship begins to take on much deeper meanings.

I didnt see this movie as needing a sex symbol to play the part either.
in fact, I am glad to see that a woman who looks like an 'every day' woman was picked and not some brazilian sex goddess.

The movie was about sex, but not in the young horny man style. Laughing
This was a woman who truly had some real issues and was turning to sex to get rid of them. A sad and common practice.No one should ever turn to sex because they were abused. They should turn to sex because they want to , and they enjoy it.

I would almost rate this as a chick flick.... and a good one..

except that my husband liked it to.. and he 'aint no chick' Laughing

And that picture above?
That is an odd position. She has meat on her bones. She isnt pencil thin at all. In fact, she has a great shape, and is quite hot!
I think she was perfect honestly.

I have only seen her in a few movies. Monster was another. And each time I am very impressed with her acting. She has grown beyond Wednesday Adams. (HA!)

Justin Timberlake.. ug.
I think I just have a hard time getting over the fact that his start was with a teeny-bopper boy band. And it is with that judgement that I watch his performances.. and yet... I always come away impressed with him.

He did another movie not too long ago.. that left me feeling the same way.
So I am not at all surprised that he was able to wear this character well either. Maybe someday, he can shed that teeny booper image . I do think he is a good actor and I hope to see more of him.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:14 pm
Hey, good analysis there Miss Ebert. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:11 pm
Mr. Ebert liked it, too, although it opened to mixed reviews:

Black Snake Moan

March 2, 2007

Cast & Credits
Lazarus: Samuel L. Jackson
Rae: Christina Ricci
R.L.: John Cothran Jr.
Ronnie: Justin Timberlake
Angela: S. Epatha Merkerson

Paramount Vantage presents a film directed and written by Craig Brewer. Running time: 116 minutes. Rated R (for strong sexual content, language, some drug use).

by Roger Ebert

I had never really heard many half-snorts before. Snorts, yes, and silence. But what do you make of an audience that has no idea how to react? "Black Snake Moan" is the oddest, most peculiar movie I've seen about sex and race and redemption in the Deep South. It may be the most peculiar recent movie ever except for "Road House," but then what can you say about "Road House"? Such movies defy all categories.

The movie -- I will try to be concise -- stars Samuel L. Jackson as a broken-down blues musician and vegetable market gardener whose wife has just walked out. On the road leading to his property he finds the battered body of a young white girl, whose injuries hardly seem curable by the cough syrup he barters fresh vegetables for at the drugstore. The girl is Rae (Christina Ricci); it is no coincidence that Jackson's character is named Lazarus, and Lazarus determines to return her from near death or whooping cough, one or the other. No saint himself, he wants to redeem her from a life of sluttery.

His technique, with a refreshing directness, is to chain her to a radiator. Good thing he lives way out in the wilderness. Lazarus and Rae have no sex per se, but they do a powerful lot of slapping, cursing and chain-rattling, and the reaction of the blue-collar town on Market Day is a study. I think the point is that Lazarus and Rae somehow redeem each other through these grotesqueries, a method I always urge be used with extreme caution.

The performances are very good: Hell-bent for leather, and better than the material deserves, there is much hysteria and snot. The writer-director, Craig Brewer, made that other splendid story of prostitution and redemption, "Hustle & Flow," with its Oscar-winning song ("It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp") In fact, I pretty much enjoyed the whole movie, with some incredulity and a few half-snorts.

Both "Black Snake Moan" and "Hustle & Flow" are about neglected characters living on the fringe who find a healing in each other. Both movies use a great deal of music to illustrate the souls of their characters.

We sense that the girl has never been treated other than in a beastly manner, and that the man, having lost his wife, is determined not to allow sex to betray his instincts to do good. Yes, I think it is probably against the law to chain a drifter to a radiator, but in a sense these people exist outside the law, society and common or any kind of sense. Their society consists of the usual locals who seem clueless and remarkably unobservant, leading to remarkable non sequiturs.

There is another woman, the middle-aged pharmacist named Angela, played by the sweet S. Epatha Merkerson, to provide Lazarus an alternative to a life of sluts and tramps. But, as for Rae -- well, I gather that when compulsive nymphomania passes a certain point, you're simply lost.

After Rae says goodbye to her boyfriend Ronnie (played by pop star Justin Timberlake), who has enlisted in the service for cloudy reasons, she immediately falls to the ground and starts writhing as if under attack by fire ants. This is her way of conveying uncontrollable, orgiastic need. A girl that needy, you'd approach like Miss RoboCop.

I love the way that both Samuel Jackson and Christina Ricci take chances like this, and the way that Brewer creates characters of unbelievable forbearance, like Ronnie, who is in a more or less constant state of panic attacks and compulsion. And I like the understated way the rural Tennessee locations are used. You have never seen a movie like this before. Then again, you may not hope to. Some good blues music helps carry the day.

I heard some days after the screening that Jackson considers this his best performance. Well, maybe it is. He disappears into the role, and a good performance requires energy, daring, courage and intensity, which he supplies in abundance. Few actors could accomplish work at this level with this screenplay. As for Christina Ricci, she is the right actor for this role; she embodies this poor, mixed-up creature and lets you experience both her pain and her hope. Her work defines the boundaries of the thankless.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:37 pm
snood wrote:

Embarrassed

heheheh

I like movies. Smile can ya tell??

My favorite thing to do is to watch a really good, mind twister of a movie then sit down with a few people and analize it to death.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
snood wrote:

Embarrassed

heheheh

I like movies. Smile can ya tell??

My favorite thing to do is to watch a really good, mind twister of a movie then sit down with a few people and analize it to death.

I'm a way, way movie addict (of the fargone variety). I think that sounds fun. I still want to watch Deja Vu with my wife and dissect the hell out of it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:00 pm
An even better one for some real dissection is Premonition..

disturbing in the emotional category. No one wants to have to go through that. It is the kind of movie that makes you grab your spouses hand and just hold it...

but the way it ends..

urg...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:06 pm
Is that the one with Sandra Bullock?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 04:36 pm
Yes.
And though she ( in my opinion only) isnt an actress I would chase after to see in a movie ,but she was really good in this one. Better then I expected.

She stars alongside Julian McMahon, from Nip/Tuck
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 04:58 pm
When I got home Wally had the DVD.

We're going to watch it Friday night.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 04:58 pm
When I got home Wally had the DVD.

We're going to watch it Friday night.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 06:00 pm
So, basically what you're saying is that when you got home, Wally had the DVD, and you're going to watch it Friday night? Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:16 pm
Yeah, Friday.

At night.
0 Replies