Handicapped Children and Others

gollum

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:16 am
I have read of cases where a parent is charged with killing his (or her) severely handicapped child. I think the parent's motivation is exhaustion from constantly caring for the child with hope of an end to the task.

I have also heard of parents with severely handicapped children who give up the child to an orphanage or other institution.

My question is, do parents have a legal right to give up their children?

I've read of numerous cases where divorcing parents fight over "child custody." In every case I have read about, each parent wants custody of the child(ren) to the exclusion of the other. Are then any cases where each parent tries to persuade the court to assign the child(ren) (handicapped or otherwise) to the other parent?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 686 • Replies: 2
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 09:23 am
Quote:
My question is, do parents have a legal right to give up their children?

Absolutely they do. I adopted a child whose parents gave up their legal rights.

Quote:
Are then any cases where each parent tries to persuade the court to assign the child(ren) (handicapped or otherwise) to the other parent?

I think it's probably very common but it isn't a "fight" per se. The other parent simply does not file for custody and therefore custody is awarded to the parent who does want to raise the child.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 09:41 am
Re: Handicapped Children and Others
gollum wrote:

I have also heard of parents with severely handicapped children who give up the child to an orphanage or other institution.

I don't know about the USA, but in Europe it's not seldom at all that severely handicapped children stay in special homes for .... severely handicapped children. (We have home for handicapped children here in Germany as well.)

We don't have orphanages (in the old sense) in Germany anymore but small villages, group of homes, where children with various backgrounds (but generally not handicapped) live in family-like groups.
0 Replies