Cooking show suggestions?

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 04:13 pm
I am looking for some good cooking shows, and instead of wasting my time watching several different ones I thought I would ask the people who know best. So what are your favorite shows and what's so good about them? (please no Emeril, I know he is great but I am not a big fan) Thanks for your help! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,146 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Lauren3

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:02 pm
I have two, a biased one and an unbiased one.

My unbiased one is Good Eats on the food network. The host is amazing and I love the different gadgets he uses as well as all the factoids he throws in.

My biased favorite is a new show on an internet television network. I am childhood friends with the host of the show. He does some really great recipes on his show and you can watch him anytime at the below link.

http://www.watchitvegas.com/chef.php

You should give them both a shot. Let me know what you think.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:15 pm
I like "Nigella Bites" featuring the British beauty Nigella Lawson. She works with her hands alot and she's packing a few extra pounds too (which to me is a sure sign of one who enjoys her job).

And I like Emeril. (sorry. He can't be beat for creole and cajun cooking)

B. Smith is good too. I tried her recipe for collard greens and my aunt, who's been cooking greens since before I was born, was impressed enough to ask me for it. No better sign than that!

I've never watched Martha's Stewart's show but I've tried several of her recipes and they're always a big hit.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:30 pm
Alton Brown (Good Eats)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:58 pm
Oh, I love Alton Brown on Good Eats.

I love learning WHY food does what it does when you do something to it.

Huh?

Anyway, yeah, I've picked up a lot of good tips, and I like his sense of humor.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:46 am
I have two favorites, both Italian.

The first is Mario Batali. He used to have a regular show on the Food Network. I haven't seen it lately. Maybe it will return. Not only does he create some fantastic dishes, but I like his down-to-earth quality.

The second is Lidia Bastianich. Her shows occasionally appear on PBS. This woman loves what she's doing. And everything she prepares looks mahvelous.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:29 am
It depends on what you are wishing to get from the cooking show. Are you wanting to just learn new recipes or learn about the science, chemistry and techniques?

If you don't have cable then America's Test Kitchen, Jacque Pepin and Julia Child are the best shows for learning about the science and chemistry of cooking and baking.

If you do have cable then Alton is the best for that learning and Sara Molton is the best for learning about new recipes and how to use ingredients for variations on a theme. Simply Ming is good for learning about Asian foods and techniques using both Asian and Western ingredients.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:34 pm
Good Eats is a great show! I make a fried chicken steak with this awesome gravy I picked up from this show. Also, Paula Deen has two great shows on Food Network. She makes alot of southern recipes, but she also makes recipes she picked up from trips and vacations. She has a great personality and makes the shows a real joy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:47 pm
If I had a tv, I'd be watching what Roberta has been watching.
Mario Batali has his fingers in so many pies... very progressive, as far as I can tell, about excellent restauranteering (he's partners in some of the very best, including the new Mozzo (Mozza?) with Nancy Silverton in LA, and, if I remember correctly, is involved in the growth of the whole new direction in the USA on cured meats.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 03:48 pm
Now the only place I can find Mario is on Iron Chef. I watch it only if he's the chef. He's been doing some traveling and has taken some fascinating directions with flavors and seasoning.

One of the reasons I liked his cooking show was the simplicity of his explanations. Lidia is the same way. Simple, direct, delicious. Her cuisine is more traditional.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:27 pm
I love Good Eats with Alton Brown, and the Barefoot Contessa with Ina Garten, also Everyday Italian with the Giada girl...Love Mario Batali. Those are my favorites
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:10 pm
I haven't seen Lidia on tv either, tv less person that I am, but I've followed her over time. Her son (I think), Joseph, and Mario, are partners in major restaurants.

Well, so what, except that what I hear is good, and that Batali is with Silverton on the Mozza ristorante in LA. Silverton is changing the world of pizza, to some extent anyway, with her playing with dough. She uses malt in the pizza dough, for example. (I'm underplaying Silverton here, she's been a whiz on really good bread.)

I'm not sure tv or newspapers are up to what is going on with food.

The internet re food had much stupidity, but also fantastic information.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:17 pm
Saw Lidia last week (on PBS). She's a gem.

Saw Mario's show on the Food Network a few days ago (it's on in the morning here). He made pizza dough with potatoes. Sandwiched ricotta cheese between two slabs of dough. Added a ricotta and olive oil topping. Simple. Looked divine. The guests made wonderful mmmm noises. Simple. Interesting.
0 Replies

koreangel

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 03:36 pm
I love watching the Japanese and Korean cooking shows because they show a bit of history of where their prime ingredients are from. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 03:41 pm
I'd like to see those shows too. Are they in English? (do you live in the US, koreangel?)
0 Replies