Jerry Hadley shoots himself

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:40 am
Tenor Jerry Hadley taken off life support
55-year-old singer suffering from severe brain injury after suicide attempt

Celebrated tenor Jerry Hadley was taken off life support Monday, nearly a week after an apparent suicide attempt left him with a severe brain injury.

The 55-year-old singer shot himself with an air rifle last Tuesday at his Clinton Corners home, several miles outside Poughkeepsie, according to state police. State troopers found him unconscious on his bedroom floor and he was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie.

Hadley had been on life support since his arrival at the hospital. Family friend and spokeswoman Celia Novo said he was taken off the systems Monday.

"The hospital is just making him comfortable at this point, so his passing could be at any time," Novo said.

Hadley, a native of Manlius, Ill., began his career in regional companies around the country. In the late 1970s, he was noticed by the late Beverly Sills, then general director of the New York City Opera, and was hired.

His career included creating the title role in composer John Harbison's "The Great Gatsby" and playing the main role in the 1989 production of Leonard Bernstein's musical, "Candide."

Officials said last week that Hadley was filing for bankruptcy and had been treated by a doctor for depression.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a sad, shocking story. I'll just add that I've seen Hadley perform on several occasions. He was a very good Lenski in Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin -- one of his signature roles. A light but forceful tenor voice and a good actor (unusual for tenors, in my experience). He will be missed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,468 • Replies: 2
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:39 pm
How awful. What a sad end for a very talented man.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:44 pm
Bad news -- I also saw him perform in that very production of "Candide," a very difficult role and he rose to the occasion.
0 Replies