0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:48 pm
I totally agree with you Rae, I thought the film of
Interview With A Vampire was very well done, though
I did hear that Ann was most unhappy with the casting,
I also think the Tom Cruise made a divine creature absolutely
devoid of morals, ethics, scruples - he fleshed out the
character in the book even more so, and THAT IS unusual.
Many times we are just happy to see that an actor does a
decent job of "playing" the part, but as Lestat, Cruise added
to his character magnificently. I still love that movie. I also
have read Queen Of The Damned, a good one also. I can't
quite picture it as a movie, but I guess we will see soon.
Oddly enough I've never read any of Stephen King's Dark
Tower series. Are they really all that good, or does he spin
off in a totally other direction, like he did in Insomnia? I
enjoyed Dreamcatcher, but so much happens "inside of" the
character's mind, as he races to get farther south before
being apprehended - I wonder how this will be portrayed
on the screen?
***BERMBITS - you have not seen The Shawshank Redemption?
Where have you been man!! It is so excellent and you WILL so
definitively enjoy it, I guarantee you.
****MACSM11 Thanks, my dear, it may have been a month
before it ever dawned on me, of course, of course how could I
have forgetten that, Salem's Lot gave me goosebumps just
reading it alone at home in the evenings,what a heart stopper.
Else I would have been burrowing among the stacks of books
......looking, wondering..........
***BTW - who is a good book shelf /carpenter person? - anyone???
I want, instead of a headboard to my bed, an entire wall of books,
on shelves,naturally - a large area in the center for the bed to
butt up against the wall, and adequate head room, and side room
for the antique bedside tables, occassionally I may put a piece of
sculpture or art form or something else on some of the shelves
Add to this, the tiny reading lights, so one can read or write down
dreams, without disturbing one's partner. Kind of like the lights
on airplanes, you know?
***BiLL W Yes, I notice that King DOES keep a very tight lid
on his works as they go to the screen, and a good thing too.
I have to wonder what he was not happy with about The Shining
do you happen to know? Jack Nicholson makes a creepy, nasty
bad guy. Yes and Castle Rock lives up to its name... sticks to the
story like glue! Wish that had been able to happen with John Irving's
Cider House Rules. That could have made a 10 part mini series.
***Whoa, what is "Swan Song"? I have never heard of that.
Is it a Stephen King or what? Tell me Tell me pleeeeease!
****Quinn You can NEVER love a book too much!! They are
priceless gems to those of us who appreciate them. What I find
interesting about those of us who love a good horror story is that
our literary tastes tend are also to be very diverse also.
What do you think?
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:53 pm
help!! does anyone know WHY my type is coming out in
this way????? (SEE ABOVE) I keep checking the encoding, and it
keeps reverting to western euro, iso
instead of western european, windows.. or is my
problem originating somewhere else entirely??
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:57 pm
Not a clue, babs ~ far as I ever knew, each post had to be 're-encoded' with your particular preferences. Unless something has changed.....

<off to check my preferences now>
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:06 pm
babsatamelia, My feeling on "The Shining" was always that it didn't follow the book completely, especially in the Scatman role and that when I went back and saw it the second time the distance was there from when I read the book and so the show on its on merits was much better. I think Nicholson was shown as an abuse personality in the movie (to faster portray his character) but not so in the book until he becomes a part of the house.

Therein lies a difference between books and movies. Books have deeper, better character development and then change that character big time to show them going crazy. The Nicholson character became crazy because of the house (and more slowly) not crazy coming into the caretaker job.

But, I could be wrong about all this. It has been many years since I say the movie and many more years since I read the book. I believe King wanted to be much more involved and get some say, which he was allowed.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:11 pm
babs ~ I watched/read every interview in regards to 'Interview With a Vampire' and I think Anne Rice came 'round in the end for Tom Cruise's portrayal of Lestat.

I saw the movie not long after I'd finished all of Rice's books (up to that time) and thought Cruise did a great job. As a book character, Lestat has quite a following and Cruise only added to that endearment.

The Dark Tower series.....All I can say is please give them a shot. There are lots of typical King weird 'things', but not as weird as 'Dreamcatcher'. I was completely hooked after the first book.

Let me know if you start reading the series!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:15 pm
BillW ~ I agree. Nicholson's character took a good while to become part of the hotel in the book and that was key to the story. Still, ya can't say Jack didn't give it a good performance! Total psycho.

My sister lived in Colorado for a few years and on one of my visits there, she took me to see the hotel.....gave me goosebumps.....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:31 am
babs: Swan Song was written by Robert McCammon. I read it more than 10 years ago, but I'm not sure when it was published exactly. Its plot is a bit like The Stand, futuristic, end-of-the-world, horror, good vs. evil. And yet it was different. A very good book.

I have no idea about your purple italics. Perhaps you should post a question in Forum Help?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:33 am
When I read Pet Semetary (the first time), I had to put it in a different room when I went to bed! It really creeped me out!

One of my current books is King's most recent book of short stories called Everything's Eventual - it's got some good ones in it, the title story especially.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 08:45 am
macsm11 ~ I had to do the same when I was reading 'It' ~ as well as sleep with two night lights on..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:12 am
Hey, All
Hi, All.

Babs - interesting thing happened to me after I got married. My wife and I, in our nearly ten years together, have never gone to a movie together. We have also seen few videos. Our tastes are so different - I like chases, explosions, a good scare, etc. She likes movies where people sit around and talk in British accents. Well, maybe we're not quite that clearly defined, but it's the way it is. We did see "Sixth Sense" and "A Beautiful Mind," so it's not a total loss.

Don't feel sorry for us, though. I recently realized our books are our movies. We each read about half an hour before sleep, so we do okay (30 - 40 books a year). We can each read what we'd watch. I have read the Shawshank Redemption (not the full title) several times and loved it. As said earlier, I am currently reading Bentley Little and have a bid in on ebay for a lot of 21 Lumley books.

So there.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:33 pm
I should add the earlier McCammon is really good. Like King, he started in other directions, and IMHO, went down the tubes (whatever that means).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:41 pm
H. P. Lovecraft -- "The Dunwich Horror" and "The Rats in the Walls."

In "The Shining," there was no way a filmmaker could show the gradual taking over of the house in two or even three hours. It is King's best book and I began to find him copying himself after "The Stand" which is is second best book IMHO.

Of course, Poe is the master and "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley is the horror bible.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:45 pm
So, bermbits.....Ya gonna let me borrow the Lumley books when you get them? :wink:
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 08:27 pm
Lumley Books
Rae: I have an hour to decide how much I want them (all 21). I was just outbid! If I get them, we'll talk!

(I just got bounced, so if this repeats, sorry.)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:18 pm
You must get these books, bermbits, you must get these books, bermbits, you must get these books, bermbits..... Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:16 am
Now you tell me! The auction ended, and I was outbid. Twenty-one books, gone just like that. But there will be others. Actually, I don't know if I'd even like them. I ordered a bunch of Robert Parker mysteries (18, I think), and I devoured them in short order. I will buy a lumley or two and see what I think. Then, let the bidding begin again. BTW, they went for $42.50 plus $10.50 shipping and #1.30 insurance - a veritable bargain.
0 Replies