Let's talk about horror novels!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,485 • Replies: 132
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 03:02 pm
Has anyone read From a Buick 8? I just finished it and can't recall why it has that title! It's not my favorite Stephen King, but it was hard to put down...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 06:50 pm
Hi macsm11 ~ I saw the book a bunch of times and never bothered to look at the flap because the title threw me off. I love Stephen King ~ do you recommend it?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:48 am
I do recommend it Rae, though it has some scary/gorey parts as you might expect!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:02 pm
Cool beans! I'll try to pick it up over the weekend. (Have you read 'Dreamcatcher' yet?)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:07 am
I'm still horrified by Dreamcatcher, and I read it months ago. I can't imagine how they can be making a movie of it! Morgan Freeman will be the crazy colonel, lots of other name actors. Supposed to open in April '03. Just remembering the scene in the bathroom is giving me the heebie-jeebies!!!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:37 pm
macsm11 ~ apparently, I'm further out of the loop than I thought! I'd no idea 'Dreamcatcher' was being made into a movie!

Yeah, the bathroom scene was quite unnerving! (Have to say though that I've had 'nervous' thoughts about the bathroom since 'It'.....)
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:12 am
IMHO, From a Buick 8 is not the best of King (nor is Dreamcatcher for that matter). As one who loves the early King, when he started 'experimenting' and slipping into new areas, he lost me (although I still have read all books by him). Each has its moments, but the overall satisfaction I got is gone.

I have been reading Bentley Little, who reminds me of earlier King. I find his stuff is overall good, but there are sexual images I don't care for (they seem similar in a couple of books. I'm no prude, but he overkills and that takes away from the horror).

As there seems to be little god horror coming out, I have slipped into mysteries. Finished my first Ridley Pearson - Middle of Nowhere (a good read) and am on the second.

Always looking for new horror writers.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 08:58 am
bermbits, what's your favorite Stephen King book?

Mine is The Stand.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 02:35 pm
I read "The Stand" and then later got through about half of the expanded edition. For some reason, I like "The Shining" the best! I think I like King's use of words and visual playing with language in his earlier stuff.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:16 pm
bermbits, Have you tried Anne Rice - I love her Vampire Chronicles!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:33 pm
Anne Rice is a beautifully seductive writer... but I got tired of her. I don't know why. Thanks for thinking of me!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:44 pm
Long time King fan...read an exerpt from it and thought it would be much like his older novels..Carrie, Christine, etc....what do you think..like those or still more like his contemporary?
I read both "The Stand" and enjoyed both of them a great deal.
Im a bit behind however, havent gotten to Dreamcatchers yet.
Another person recommended Rice to me as well but, Im afraid Id never have enough time for both.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:47 pm
Buick 8 is definitely more like his newer writing. I agree that he's changed, but I like the new stuff too!

My first thought on reading the jacket was that he'd already done the "haunted" car in Christine, but this one is much more "far out" than that...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:57 pm
bermits, I get tired also; but wait a year or so and read something else or two. Same thing with King. Right now I'm waiting for more Dark Towers series. The last three are suppose to come out in about a year to a year and a half. This is part of the supposition that he is retiring - for real and for good this time.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:51 pm
BillW ~ I know I'm happy about this news ~ Craven will be, too. We both love the Dark Tower series. My copies are dog-eared from re-reading too many times! (I heard the rumor about King retiring after writing the last of the series five years ago.....wonder when it'll actually happen.....)

I also like Anne Rice.....Just came across 'Queen of the Damned' in the video store ~ not sure if I want to spoil my experience of reading the book.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:20 pm
Read the book, it brings it all together-the absolute best. Have you already read it? I haven't seen the video; but there is so much in that book I do advise reading it first. I want to see the video but my wife doesn't like horror but does like Sci Fi. Haven't seen "Interview" either but heard it was good! Maybe get both!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:46 pm
Actually, I thought 'Interview with a Vampire' was pretty good on film. (And I don't care what anyone says ~ Tom Cruise was a great Lestat) But, I think Anne Rice had a lot to do with the end result. I'd not even heard about 'Queen of the Damned' being filmed until I saw it in the store. Guess that's why I'm wary of watching it.

And yes, I've read all of Anne Rice's books ~ the only one I'm not too happy with is 'Violin'. Couldn't get into that one at all.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:12 pm
Haven't read Violin, but am looking forward to the Damned Movie. What to see how they portray some of the characters, like the twins and mother what about the scene where Lestat goes into the Sun for ?how many days? after flying around the world with Mother. I heard about it; I think it was on back in the summer.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 09:37 pm
I have to mention King's "Different Seasons." Three of the four short novels have been made into movies (haven't seen a one): "Shawshank Redemption," "Apt Pupil," and "Stand by Me" (I think - it's the one where the kids go to see a body).

What was his short story where the doctor survived by slicing off pieces of his flesh? Just popping into mind is the short story "The Raft." Another great one!
0 Replies