Shakespeare- help with new context

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:50 am
Okay. Now I know there are a lot of topics out there that help with memorizing Shakespeare. But I have a more specific problem.

I have to memorize and perform the 'To Be or Not To Be' speech for a group of want-to-be actors and actresses at a local college. The problem is- I am a girl. I do not know how to portray Hamlet's emotions and thoughts in a different vessel, so to speak.

How can I portray Hamlet without letting my 'female side' take over? Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,115 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:03 am
You have posed the question as being "impossible" !

My advice would be view a video of some famous male actor and imitate his phraseology and gesture. (Or why not show THEM the video instead Smile )
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:18 am
Admittedly I dont know the content of the speech, but what does it matter what gender you are?
Surely both genders have the same emotions.Plus your an actress so this is your job.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:51 am
There's nothing in that speech that specifically relates to gender. The words and feelings relate to any "vessel." The thoughts are universal.

Since you don't have to do this within the context of the play and be a specific character, why not make the words personal to you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 06:03 am
Dance4Comfort--

Welcome to A2K.

Not all strong emotions depend on sexual orientation. Indecision is not related to sexual orientation. Emotions are universal and can be interpreted by all actors.

Your question indicates--among other things--that you don't know what to do. In that speech, neither does Hamlet. Make your indecision work for you.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 06:25 am
Being female could actually help, since Hamlet is supposed to be a young lad.

Also keep in mind that males are more likely to confront their problems by meeting them head on and fighting; and are more likely to be angry with themselves by being unable to make a decision.
0 Replies

madchill1170

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:35 pm
sexy shakespeare
when i read any of shakespeares work i get orgasmic feelings throughout my body. He is a very sexy white chocolate man.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:02 am
Re: sexy shakespeare
madchill1170 wrote:
when i read any of shakespeares work i get orgasmic feelings throughout my body. He is a very sexy white chocolate man.

And here I thought I was the only one who felt that way.
0 Replies