lifting 1 tonne

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 06:28 pm
hmmmppffff

alright then.

I didn't feel like picking up your car anyway...just ate and it would give me heartburn.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 06:30 pm
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:57 am
Chai wrote:
where the hell did I say anything about women?

I just found the record for lifting, period.

Now get outta here before I pick up your car and drop it on you.

I'll help you! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:59 am
Re: sterical strength
Ragman wrote:

Why do we need to know the number of words contained within the article? Is that relevant to oculomotor activity?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:13 am
feel free to ignore it. You'll have to excuse me for including something that was in the original article. The article continued on further and that was an editorial note. Notice the quotation marks? Mighty picky, aren't you!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:50 am
Think so?
Cool
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 12:42 pm
I remember back in the '40's or '50's Reader's Digest published a "Mom Lifts Car, Saves Loved One" story.

Of course Reader's Digest values inspiration very highly--sometimes higher than mundane reality.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:06 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I remember back in the '40's or '50's Reader's Digest published a "Mom Lifts Car, Saves Loved One" story.

Of course Reader's Digest values inspiration very highly--sometimes higher than mundane reality.

A 1950's car would weigh about 2000 pounds, wouldn't it?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 03:37 pm
Miller wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:

Keep in mind that she would not have been lifting the entire car off of the ground, therefore she would not have been lifting the entire weight of the car.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 05:27 pm
maporsche wrote:
Miller wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:

Keep in mind that she would not have been lifting the entire car off of the ground, therefore she would not have been lifting the entire weight of the car.

What % of the car was lifted?
50%, 1000 pounds?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:18 pm
Miller wrote:

Probably at least double that, and for a "smaller" 50's car like a '57 Chevy. The Caddys were absolute tanks, I'm pretty sure some tipped at over 5K. My tiny Crossfire weighs 3K.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:43 pm
So I guess we're in agreement that it is possible? and that I might be the first person in the world to lift 1 tonne?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:51 pm
If you read all the posts here and still come to the conclusion that you will probably lift 2000 pounds at any point in your lifetime or even next life time ... then I have a bridge for you to buy.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:25 pm
I don't get it...what bridge ?
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:09 am
I read somewhere that Paul Anderson back lifted 6000 lbs which is approximately 3 tonnes. Can anyone verify this or have anything to oppose this?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:23 am
Paul Anderson (1932-1994)

Paul Anderson was an amateur weight lifter and professional strongman who gained widespread recognition in the 1950s and 1960s as the strongest man in the world. While deeply rooted in the culture of rural Georgia, he became a national, world, and Olympic heavyweight champion, a cold war hero, and a worldwide icon for strength and size.

Dubbed "the Dixie Derrick," Paul Edward Anderson was born on October 17, 1932, in Toccoa, the only son of Ethel Bennett and Robert Anderson. His father worked in construction, often on hydroelectric projects, throughout the Southeast. Thus the family moved frequently, and Anderson attended various public schools. After overcoming Bright's disease as a child, he steadily gained strength, size, and athletic ability. In 1950 Anderson attended Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, on a football scholarship but resigned during the first year. While there, however, he started weight lifting seriously and realized his extraordinary leg strength by squatting more than 400 pounds.

After moving to his parents' home, Elizabethton, Tennessee, Anderson was discovered by the legendary deadlifter (one who lifts weights from the floor to hip level) Bob Peoples. Eager to enter competition, Anderson developed basic power by hip-lifting a concrete-filled safe and practiced his technique on the overhead lifts. In the 1952 Tennessee state meet, he broke all heavyweight records in the press, snatch (in which the weight is raised from the floor to an overhead position in one motion), and clean and jerk (in which the weight is raised to shoulder height and then, after a brief pause, lifted quickly to the overhead position), and then performed a 660-pound squat. At the 1955 national championships in Cleveland, Ohio, Anderson set a world record of 436 pounds in the clean and jerk and later gained international acclaim at a meet in Moscow by becoming the first man in history to press more than 400 pounds.

The Russians called him chudo prirody, "a wonder of nature," and Anderson quickly became a cold war symbol of America's massive strength and superiority. At 5 feet 9 inches tall and 350 pounds, the Georgia strongman went on to become world heavyweight champion at Munich in 1955. Though weakened by fever and weight loss, Anderson won an Olympic gold medal at the Melbourne, Australia, games in 1956 and returned to Toccoa as a conquering hero. He raised weight lifting from obscurity to prominence by his seemingly superhuman might.

Having won the highest accolades possible in amateur weight lifting, Anderson entered show business as a professional strongman. Whether he unofficially performed a 1,200-pound squat and a 6,270-pound back-lift has been much debated, but most pundits believe he either did them or could have done them. One credible witness saw him perform eight easy squats with 700 pounds; Anderson claimed to have done eight with 800. He also pursued professional wrestling and boxing careers briefly.

In 1959 Anderson married Glenda Garland. Their daughter, Paula Anderson Schaefer, was born in 1966. After committing their lives to Christianity, in 1961 the Andersons established the Paul Anderson Youth Home in Vidalia to raise troubled young men ages sixteen to twenty-one in a wholesome and disciplined environment. Over the next two decades Anderson traveled throughout the country conducting lifting exhibitions and giving Christian witness to raise money for his youth home. In 1974 he was inducted into the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame. At the USA Power and Strength Symposium in Orlando, Florida, in 1992, Anderson was named "Strongest Man of the Century." After a prolonged kidney illness, he died on August 15, 1994.

Suggested Reading

Paul Anderson, with Jerry B. Jenkins and James R. Adair, A Greater Strength (Old Tappan, N.J.: Fleming H. Revell, 1990).

Bob Hise and Steve Neece, "Paul Anderson," MuscleMag International, July 1995.

Ed Linn, "Paul Anderson, the Georgia Strong Boy," Sport, June 1956.

Randall J. Strossen, Paul Anderson, the Mightiest Minister (Nevada City, Calif.: IronMind Enterprises, 1999).

John D. Fair, Georgia College and State University

Published 11/18/2002

The New Georgia Encyclopedia
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:25 am
Quote:
Whether he unofficially performed a 1,200-pound squat and a 6,270-pound back-lift has been much debated, but most pundits believe he either did them or could have done them
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:40 am
So what do you guys think about him being able to do this?
0 Replies