World's oldest car up for sale

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:39 am
Ananova:
World's oldest car up for sale

The world's oldest working car is to go under the hammer - and is expected to fetch up to £1 million.

The four-wheeled car, called La Marquise, was built in 1884 for the Count De Dion, reports the Daily Telegraph. The steam-powered car has only had two other owners since, according to auctioneers Gooding & Company.

The four-seater, fuelled by coal, wood and paper, takes about half an hour to work up enough steam to go. In an 1887 race, La Marquise hit an average speed of 26mph on a 19-mile course. The following year it won the world's first motor race, beating out its three-wheeled competition, another De Dion-Bouton.

La Marquise was built in France in 1884 by De Dion-Bouton et Trepardoux, one year before Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz each independently built their first gasoline-powered cars in German.

Twelve years later, Henry Ford built his first automobile in the US.

La Marquise goes under the hammer in August in Pebble Beach, California.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,004 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:53 pm
I can get a brand new car that runs much faster and takes much less time to warm up for much less. This one doesn't even have AC!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:14 am
Nick
NickFun wrote:
I can get a brand new car that runs much faster and takes much less time to warm up for much less. This one doesn't even have AC!

Oh, you're just in a snit because you don't have an 1884 driving costume to wear.

BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 01:06 pm
OOooooooooo GIMME GIMME GIMME!

can I borrow some money?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:34 pm
I'd rip out the engine and put in a steaming-fast 8 cylinder gas engine. Then I'd add a stylin 5 CD player and, of course, Satellite radio. Of course, the tires have to go. I'd put some new axles on to accommodate some 15 inch Michelin's. NOW we've got a car!
0 Replies