Scottish Prime Minister

Equus

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 04:06 am
Gordon Brown, the likely next Prime Minister of the UK, is Scottish. Is he the first non-English PM of Britain, or have there been others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 17,309 • Replies: 25
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 04:57 am
He would be the eighth Scottish, and the ninth non-English Prime Minister out of 52 altogether.

Lloyd George (1916-1922) was Welsh.

The seven previous Scottish Prime Ministers...

Stuart 1762-1763 (3rd Earl Of Bute)
Hamilton-Gordon 1852-1855 (4th Earl of Aberdeen)
Primrose 1894-1895 (5th Earl of Rosebery)
Balfour 1902-1905
Campbell-Bannerman 1905-1908
Bonar Law 1922-1923
Ramsay MacDonald Jan-Nov 1924
Douglas-Home 1963-1964
fresco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 05:29 am
Tony Blair Born Edinburgh 1953 !
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:07 am
Although Tony Blair was born in Edinburgh, that does not make him Scottish. He is English with one Irish parent.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:58 pm
Thanks!
0 Replies

Pene

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:46 am
"Non-English" British Prime Ministers
Here are some British PMs not born in England.

John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute / PM - May 26, 1762 - Apr. 16, 1763 / Born in Edinburgh, Scotland.

William Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne / PM - July 4, 1782 - Apr. 2, 1783 / Born in Dublin, Ireland.

George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen / PM - Dec. 19, 1852 - Jan. 30, 1855 / Born in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Arthur Balfour / PM - July 11, 1902 - Dec. 5, 1905 / Born in Whittingehame, Scotland

Henry Campbell-Bannerman / PM - Dec. 5, 1905 - Apr. 3, 1908 / Born in Glasgow.

Ramsay MacDonald / Pm - June 5, 1929 - June 7, 1935 / Born in
Lossiemouth, Scotland.
0 Replies

Pene

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:57 am
Actually, Andrew Bonar Law was born in New Brunswick, Canada and moved to Scotland at the age of 12.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:15 am
Pene wrote:
Actually, Andrew Bonar Law was born in New Brunswick, Canada and moved to Scotland at the age of 12.

Yes, but he was a "Scotsman" and Tony Blair isn't.
0 Replies

Pene

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:11 am
I'm not the one who mentioned Tony Blair in the first place. I was the one who gave the examples of PMs not born in England.

While we are on the subject of Blair, he was born in Edinburgh, lived 3 1/2 years in Australia and then returned to Scotland for a brief time. The remainder of his chilhood was spent in Durham, England. However, in his teens, he returned to Edinburgh, and boarded at Fettes College before going to Oxford. His mother was indeed Irish and his father, though born of British actors, was adopted by a Scottish couple when he was a baby. I don't think it would be accurate to say Blair is English.

I guess the definitive response would have to come from him.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:30 am
Quote:
I guess the definitive response would have to come from him.

Hardly. Anyway, there is no such thing as a "definitive response" to such a question. The point I was trying to make is that "what defines a Scotsman" is an exceedingly elastic topic. A lot depends on who you ask. Unlike the concept of "Britishness" there is no legal definition you can turn to.

I mean, if Hitler had been born in Shotts of parents from Dumfries with ancestry back to Robert The Bruce's spider and gone tae school with Pa Broon and loved his tatties and neeps, and got all the jokes in "Still Game", many people would say "He's nae a Scot", whereas Mother Theresa could once have handled a tin of shorties and they'll say, "Aye, she's a braw Scots lass".

That's why Tony Blair is not a Scotsman.
Tufdevil

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:45 am
On that basis, Tony Blair is British but not English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh because I am sure none of us want to claim him.

He's probably American!
0 Replies

Verhor

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:37 am
You forgot William Gladstone, who was most certainly a Scot. Bonar Law does not qualify as a Scot to me, but that's a matter of opinion.
0 Replies

archy

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:18 am
Scottish Prime Ministers
Tony Blair was born and educated in Scotland. So, how come he is not Scottish?

Also, what about Harold Macmillan - erstwhile prime minister of the famous publishing family?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:48 am
contrex wrote:
I mean, if Hitler had been born in Shotts of parents from Dumfries with ancestry back to Robert The Bruce's spider and gone tae school with Pa Broon and loved his tatties and neeps, and got all the jokes in "Still Game", many people would say "He's nae a Scot", whereas Mother Theresa could once have handled a tin of shorties and they'll say, "Aye, she's a braw Scots lass".

That's why Tony Blair is not a Scotsman.

Laughing
HEREWARD THE WAKE

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:50 am
@nimh,
Blair is without doubt a sweaty sock!! He is not English. I am English and there is no way he belongs to my tribe mate.
0 Replies

HEREWARD THE WAKE

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:53 am
@nimh,
Tony Blair is not a Scotsman. Aha! ha! ha! ha!

Yeah, he is!

By the way, Robert the Bruce was a Norman who was born in Essex! Oh yeah, I love this. Aha! ha! ha! ha!
0 Replies

smoking gun

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:58 pm
Re -nimh : Tony Blair not a Scotsman. You are absolutely correct on this one. Born in Edinburgh 1953. You can have him AND of course GB.

But Cameron - well another good Scottish name. And nice Menzies Campbell. If you can't beat, them join them.

But Bruce born in Essex? Come off it! He was indeed descended from the Norman's (father's side) who gave the Anglo Saxons a good thumping in 1066 but he was born in Ayrshire (I think Turnberry Castle).
McTag

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:04 pm
Robert the Bruce's family name was de Brus, if I remember my school history correctly. Norman French.

Nothing to do with Norman Tebbit, of course.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 12:30 am
verhor wrote:
You forgot William Gladstone, who was most certainly a Scot.

I know it's been over a year, but do tell me, in what part of Scotland is Liverpool located?
Gordon404

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:03 pm
@contrex,
Well his father was Scottish, his mother from Liverpool, and he himself was born in Liverpool yes, but it's still fair to say he is at least half Scottish.