Interesting things to do with Sausages?

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:22 pm
Hi All

I like Sausages but popping them on the grill gets quite...boring.

Any recipes?

Thanks,

Kate
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 13,765 • Replies: 11
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:49 pm
I saw the subject line and thought this was about something else. Never mind.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:44 pm
Believe it or no, boiling them and then placing them on a bed of white rice can provide a more subtle feast.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:13 am
I slice them up and use them in lieu of chicken or pork in a meat and veggie stir fry.

Sometimes I'll skip the veggies and just simmer sliced sausage with sliced taters in a light citrus juice (have used orange, lemon and grapefruit juices, also pineapple) and mustard sauce.

Another thing to do is get a bunch of wonton wrappers and wrap a small chunk of pepper jack cheese and a slice of sausage between two of them, sealing the edges together with a bit of liquid. Then I boil them in a soup broth that I've made with onions, carrots, greens and chicken stock.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:17 am
curried snags
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:17 am
We just had some sausages yesterday with sauerkraut.
Slice the sausage and fry together with the sauerkraut in the pan,
tastes delicious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:44 am
Well, me, I usually squeeze fresh sausages into a risotto or, late, into a soup. Or, yah, grilled by themselves.

What was the question?

Mostly I forego all the precooked and chemicalled shitsausages.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:34 am
This makes even the cheapest sausage taste good.
Toad In The Hole A La Barry
First you need a HOT oven,heat it to 220 centigrade/gas mark 7.
Wrap each sausage tightly in a slice of smoked streaky bacon.Place in a roasting tin,lightly spray with olive oil,and bake for 15 minutes in the oven until just beginning to brown.
Meanwhile,make your batter (Flour,eggs and milk) and a large pinch of black pepper and half an onion,finely sliced.For that extra kick,add some crushed garlic,but not too much.
Pour batter mix over the sausages and cook for around 35 minutes,ensuring the batter is well risen and golden brown.
Serve straight from the oven with hot gravy,creamy mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice.
Try substituting the onions for apple,but leave out the garlic :wink:
Wash it down with a couple of glasses of Zinfandel.
Basic British food but "done good" Cool
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:32 am
Sauerkraut & Brats
A mixture of sauerkraut, carrots, onion and mustard is grilled with bratwurst.

Sauerkraut & Brats

5 bratwurst sausages
4 medium carrots, sliced 1/4-inch
1 medium onion, sliced 1/4-inch
1 (32-ounce) package sauerkraut, rinsed, drained
2 tablespoons honey mustard
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
5 bratwurst or hot dog buns

Heat gas grill on medium or charcoal grill until coals are ash white.
Place sausages, carrots and onion in 10-inch heavy skillet or purchased disposable foil pan. Place skillet on grill. Grill, turning and stirring occasionally, until sausages are browned and carrots are tender (12 to 15 minutes).

Stir sauerkraut and mustard into skillet. Continue grilling, stirring occasionally, until sauerkraut begins to caramelize (8 to 10 minutes). Stir in parsley.

To serve, place sausages in buns. Serve with sauerkraut mixture.
Makes 5 servings.

Nutrition Facts (1 serving):Calories: 460 Fat: 25 g Cholesterol: 50 mg Sodium: 1310 mg Carbohydrates: 40 g Dietary Fiber: 8 g Protein: 18 g
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:34 am
Quick Sausage Cassoulet
An easy and satisfying version of a traditional French casserole.

Quick Sausage Cassoulet

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 medium (1/2 cup) carrots, chopped
1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans great Northern or navy beans, rinsed, drained
1/4 pound kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2-quart round casserole with no stick cooking spray.

Melt butter in 10-inch skillet until sizzling; add carrots, onion and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened (3 to 5 minutes).

Combine onion mixture, beans, kielbasa, tomato sauce and thyme in prepared casserole. Cover; bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and carrots are crisply tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

Makes 4 (1 cup) servings.

Tip: To add a special touch to this dish, sprinkle a bread crumb topping over the casserole. To prepare the topping, combine 1 tablespoon ® Butter, 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic in a 10-inch skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until bread crumbs are golden brown (3 to 5 minutes). Sprinkle crumb topping over bean mixture. Bake as directed above.

Nutrition Facts (1 serving):Calories: 480 Fat: 15 g Cholesterol: 35 mg Sodium: 700 mg Carbohydrates: 66 g Dietary Fiber: 16 g Protein: 24 g
0 Replies

suemc

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 12:19 pm
Sausage with caramelised apples
Fry slices of 4 pork sausages in butter, add slices of apple and fry until browned. Sprinkle over some sugar and a drop of calvados or cider, and then a swirl of single cream. Serve with cooked red cabbage, mashed carrot and roughly mashed potato.

Sausage and red wine casserole
Heat oil in a casserole pan and brown 6 pork sausages. Remove from the pan, and fry 150g bacon and 2 chopped onions. Sprinkle in 20g plain flour and stir in 350ml red wine. Add 1 clove crushed garlic, a bay leaf, tablespoon fresh thyme, can chopped tomatoes and the sausages, and season well. Cover simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add 150g small whole button mushrooms, cook for a further 20 minutes and serve.

Personally I found both of these recipes to be really nice.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 04:27 pm
I cut them up and add to spaghetti and meatballs, use them in stuffed mushrooms, I cut them up and add to egg plant parm, add to pizza - almost any italien tomato dish it can add some great flavor - or with eggs in an omlete.
0 Replies