The Last Thing You Put In Your Mouth....

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 01:56 am
@ehBeth,
A peanut butter and jalepeno pepper jelly TACO, breakfass of champions. (Made on a nuked whole wheat tortilla.)

I didnt know that if you nuke your tortillas longer, they get crispy. I like mine soft and sorta spongy, although crispy is ok at times
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 01:59 am
@ossobucotemp,

RESPONDING TO YOUR POST OF EARLIER IN THE WEEK

yep, hot coca with a little chili zing is really great. Its easy, yet many restaurants buy a special chili/cocoa mix (I guess so that they can assure some consistency in the heat factor)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 05:31 pm
chili on home fries
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 05:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, Ok, I'll make myself some spicy cocoa tomorrow. I almost always have unsugarfettered cocoa in my kitchen, add my own sugar. I have just the right chile powder for it (not my usual), a little bit I saved. Too bad I don't remember exactly what it is - I saved it because it was special at the time.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:00 pm
sauteed sweet potato, brussel sprouts, cashews with cinnamon.
vonny

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 12:58 pm
@chai2,
Raspberries and blackberries - yummy!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 01:00 pm
@vonny,
2 choco mints with some hazelnut coffee/cocoa
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 06:16 pm
@ehBeth,
hot cocoa with a tsp of hazelnut coffee

cleaning out the cupboard earlier found some entertaining coffee I bought in the after Christmas sales one year - chocolate glazed donut or something like that

I wonder if Set will try it
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 06:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I tasted the raw recipe ingredient mix for what turned out to be thirteen cocoa walnut muffins... niiiice!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 12:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
heart-shaped gummi candy

must be a Valentine's leftover <shrug> tastes fine
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 04:59 pm
@ehBeth,
A bowl of a soup of many things - spicy eggplant, thawed, almost too hot for me; some thawed already cooked diced bok choi; lots of cooked brown rice; thawed pieces of bread; some diced canned tomatoes, already cooked kale; some previously caramelized onions; the last of the batch of homemade vegetable stock; thawed already cooked bacon. That'll keep me going for a while.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 08:27 pm
two slices of Baba Evda's easter bread with a half tin of kippers

Baba was baking bread for her church bazaar and slightly burned a few loaves so they're not perfect enough to sell. She sent one home when Bella and I went over to visit. That bread is dang good.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:07 am
@ehBeth,
the last slice of Baba Evda's bread with tomato sauce and old cheddar melted on top

caramelized onion risotto
vonny

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 02:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Cheese toastie
ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:26 pm
@vonny,
http://cdn.lindtusa.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/catalog/products/main/450x/Chili-EXCELLENCE-Bar_main_450x_438092.png
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:27 am
@ehBeth,
OK, it's been many years since I could work as a linguist. But when someone refers to a woman as Baba, what do you think Baba really means?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 08:02 am
@glitterbag,
Baba is Macedonian for grandmother.

It's also Chinese for Daddy.

So little Vincent next door calls two people on our block Baba - his daddy and Evda.

___

http://www.madmacedonian.com/2009/08/you-know-you-are-macedonian-when.html

Quote:
You know you are a Macedonian when...you kindly take the time to edumicate the ignorant among your fellows with the same ethnic backround!

Ok, from a Macedonian in Toronto to a Mad Macedonian in California, let me try and shed some light on a few of the terms and phrases from above:

Rakija = Like ouzo or grappa, but better!

Sirenje = A mix of goat and feta cheese

Baba = Grandmother, Dedo = Grandfather

Supa = Soup

Piperki = Pickled peppers

Kolbasi = Sausage

Vlecki = Warm woolen underwear

Goce Delcev = Macedonian hero of the failed Illinden Uprising in 1903

Tengere = Container or tub, usually for food, usually an old yogurt container cleaned out, sometimes called "Polish tuperware"

'Luti piperki' = Hot peppers

Gosti = Guests, as in company coming over to your house

Bafcha = Garden, usually used to grow your piperki
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 05:59 pm
borscht

tasty!

next time I think I'll try it with roasted beets
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 06:00 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-beet-borscht-recipe.html

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Scrub the beets and put them on a large piece of aluminum foil; season with salt and pepper, add 3 thyme sprigs, and drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until the beets are tender, about 1 hour. Set aside. When the beets are cool enough to handle but still warm, slip off their skins, and chop them into large chunks.
In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Put in the onion, carrots, garlic, and remaining 3 thyme sprigs and cook until softened and just starting to color, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs. Put the chopped beets into a blender and add the cooked vegetables and most of the stock. Blend until smooth, add more stock if the puree is too thick. Add the vinegar and honey; season with salt and pepper. Blend again to incorporate flavors. Borscht can be served hot or cold.
To make the garnish, grate the apple on the large holes of a box grater and mix in the dill. Serve in bowls, garnished with a big dollop of sour cream and topped with the apple and dill mixture.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 07:32 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm cooking the rice now to add already cooked chicken for soup; the chicken was made with lemon and basil and garlic; I will ferret out other goodies to add. It'll be a while before dinner.