How often do prisoners escape?

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 09:47 pm
How often do prisoners escape from maximum security prisons? For example, prisons where one is kept for murder. I know people escape from minimal security, but any info? Please quote a reliable source.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,259 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 09:54 pm
There's a big prison in the next town to where I live and when I first moved here there was a big sign by the prison road that said: "Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers Wearing Orange Jumpsuits". They took it down after a couple of years, maybe they solved their escapee problem.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I felt like sharing.

Carry on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 09:57 pm
Heh! Up till a few years ago, they used to wander off once or twice a month, but that was from the county jail - hardly maximum security. Physical security in maximum security is about perfect. When they rely on that, the human error creeps in.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:03 am
This is from 2001, but I think it might give an idea:

Quote:
Federal prison breakouts are rarer than state prison escapes. One federal prisoner escaped and was recaptured in 1999, out of a prison population of more than 115,000. He was the only one to escape in the past four years.

Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:08 am
I suppose that's depending on the country.

Here, in Germany, prisoners don't escape usually more than once - afterwards, they are kept even more closely.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:25 am
Well, with one breakout in a four year period, I don't think their policy towards escapees matters much-it happens so seldom.

People do escape from state and local custody all the time. But that is because many of them had work release programs where they had access to the outside. Escape was easy because they weren't really on the grounds of the prison in the first place. Presumably after escape, they are watched more closely over here too.

Do they have national identity cards in Germany? I would guess that would make it difficult for escapees to get back into society once their gone.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 05:58 am
We have ID-cards here since .... 19th century.

I've been in prisons quite some time - well, worked there, as a social worker :wink: - , various kinds from high security (and minimum time 4 years) up to those, where prisoners walk out without guard in the morning and have a key over weekends.

I don't have exact figures, but in the biggest (900) 0.25 per year should be by average.
The smaller ones (less than 400) and less secure ("open prison") have one per month to three per month if I remember a report correctly.
Here, most go either back voluntarily the other week (stay mostly at home longer than allowed [that happens in all prisons] over weekends) or the police gets them rather easily and quick.

Mostly.

Oh, "real" escapes are rather seldom.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:57 am
Dont know if this is real helpful however this paper contains a lot of references that may yield results
Between 1980 and 1987 there were multiple escapes, escape attempts,
0 Replies