Milk vs Yogurt

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:28 pm
Really? Is it that way in Germany? The kefir I know has a different bacterial mix from yogurt, but no alcohol, and is drinkable. You can buy it in health-food stores here.

The lassi I've had is yogurt & milk or water or fruit juice plus flavorings, and is also drinkable. It can be sweet or "salty." I've only seen lassi in restaurants.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:30 pm
Well, you can buy the original here (from camel milk) as well as (Turkish and German made) cow milk products.

But have a look at any dictionary/encyclopedia for the originals :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:45 pm
Quote:
Kefir has a uniform creamy consistency, a slightly sour refreshing taste, with a mild aroma resembling fresh yeast. Kefir also has a slight naturally carbonated effervescent zest or tang. There are an assortment of approx. 40 aromatic compounds, which contribute to the unique flavour and distinctive pleasant aroma of kefir. To round this off, kefir may contain between 0.08 to 2 % alcohol... [yep!... wow!]. from:http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#what's-kefir

Quote:
Lassi is the 'milk shake' of India. Made with cold yogurt, water (or crushed ice) and flavored either sweet or salty, with rose water, mint, cumin, cardamom, pistachios, and/or fruit or fruit juices.

Kefir is a fermented camel's milk beverage with a 2 - 3% alcohol content, popular in the Caucasus (a region between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea). Kefir was originally made from camel's milk, but is now frequently made from cow's milk.

0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:55 pm
I keep seeing this title and thinking it refers to same sort of dairy grudge match.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:58 pm
I think of Milk and Cheese, dairy products gone bad.

http://www.pacificnet.net/~bortels/milkcheese.html
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:58 pm
This is all way too much information for me. I like yoghurt - plain and simple. No fruit, no sugar - just plain. And sometimes I make cheese from it. Making it is so easy - and if I make it from 1%milk I do feel virtuous. Just the opposite from jespah - my husband likes milk, and doesn't like yoghurt.. I like milk when it's dressed up as an ice cream soda or something.

Say what you will - those old commercials of old peasant types leaping around because they ate yoghurt - they did something for me. I also think the yoghurt I've eaten in Europe is different from what I've had here - more body, more taste.

In the end, I think it really comes down to whether or not you like the taste. Incidentally, I had understood that you needed at least 3 or 4 tums to be be effective. Lot of burping people getting calcified.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:31 pm
Sozobe -- That was funny! Good grief, Mr. Cheeseman!

Well, Walter, I've looked around and some of the websites say camel milk (which I admit has a certain eewwwww factor) but others say it was originally goat milk. In any case it is a fresh milk that is fermented.

http://www.liberte.qc.ca/html/kefira.asp

The main point for kefir is the kefir "grains" which are not really grains at all but apparently rather large bacterial colonies that must be strained out before drinking. These are also fairly gross and have a distinct eewwwwww factor. I'm not sure that I'm glad to know so much. The kefir here does not have enough alcohol to qualify as an alcoholic beverage and all the laws that would then pertain to it.

Particularly glad, thankful, and etc. that the kefir we have is NOT made from camel milk... not that camel milk is necessarily icky (though it certainly sounds icky). Smile
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:43 am
yogurt is too high in fat, skim milk is best for you but you should not drink more then 16 oz a day (less if your cutting). milk products are prodomenantly casein which is a slow digesting protein, you want both slow and fast so get a jug of whey and a jug of micller casein and mix them have a shake every couple meals. cottage cheese is better then both milk and yogurt.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 03:03 am
safecracker wrote:
yogurt is too high in fat

Normal yoghurt has 3% fat, like 'nprmal' milk.
Low fat yoghurt just has 0.1% fat - less than any low fat milk.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:05 pm
I was reffering to normal yogurt, plus my daily cal intake would be effected in a bad way.
0 Replies