Some kind of larvae

brittonp

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:31 am
Sally,

Thank God, someone else is seeing this - I am not losing my mind. My problem is exactly what you describe. I came home from a prolonged trip to a broken air conditioner and this horror. I thought I was in the middle of some type of terrible possession!We are in the middle of a terrible heat wave and drought. I wonder if that is aggravating the problem.

I have found bags of almonds and pecans reduced to powder! One bag of pecans went in several days. These things have gotten into everything. Then they quietly appear on the ceiling - quite small and apart from each other. They are exactly as you describe and they love the white painted ceiling that I just painted last year. I sometimes wonder where they think they are going!

I don't know how they get up there and why they get up there! I have thrown out almost everything in the kitchen and still find tiny piles of "food" dust hidden in corners and in odd places. I am now vacuuming them off the ceiling with the wand and looking for the little piles. When they come off the celing I now smash them. No mercy.

The adults look like a little silver moth. I am no expert. I am getting the numbers down to just two or three a day.

I have lived in this house for five years and have never seen anything like it. I lived in San Antonio many years ago and do not recall anything like it. I do recall seeing these little flies or moths but I do not remember them trying to take possession of my soul!

Good Grief!

Trish
adel1

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 12:02 pm
They are Indian Meal moths, and they infest almost any and all dry food in the pantry. They hatch eggs, which turn into larvae. The larvae will feed on the foods and then go to the ceilings to pupate, turning into the adult moths you see. The best form of prevention is throwing away any and all suspect foods.
0 Replies

Mommio

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 04:00 pm
These are a type of moth larvae, usually in the kitchen because they eat flour, nuts, cereal, etc. Check your cabinets; sometimes you will find a type of webbing in jars, etc.
0 Replies

Me Bear

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:58 pm
It is 10/7/11.Was cleaning my living room,and noticed this white larvae hatched out of these spots that seemed to be under the paint on my trim.It' like they weren't here yesterday and here today.They are kind of off white,move quick and almost look like a worm from a dog. I would sure like to know what they are and how to rid the house of them.Please,Please help me!! Nancy
kokeefe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:14 pm
Here's what we've got - they literally bloom from nowhere - anybody know what they are?
0 Replies

kokeefe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:16 pm
@Me Bear,
I've got the same thing - is there any way for me to upload a picture?
0 Replies

kokeefe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:29 pm
@brittonp,
we thought we were living in Amityville :)20 or 30 of them appear out of nowhere - do you have a picture of the larvae?
0 Replies