What does the upside down star(pentagram) mean to you?

Chai

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 04:24 am
You know, I never see the pentagram as an upside down star.

I see it as a star tilted at an jaunty angle.

Even when I'm aware of what I'm supposed to be looking for, I have to practically turn my head upside down to see it.

But then again, this is from someone with almost nil spatial skills.

Hey Look! A tilty Star!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 05:14 am
I've always seen the Pentagram at all sorts of different angles. The Pentagram could mean all sorts of things.

The Seal of Solomon may have been pentagram-shaped or hexagram.

It could be associated with the Planet Venus. It could be associated with paganism or Satanism. In Christianity, it's a symbol of the five senses. It may represent human beings.

It may even represent the union of man and woman (as two is a female number and three is a masculine number or some such nonsense).

The Pentagram could be the symbol of the Druze.

It means a lot of things.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:06 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I've always seen the Pentagram at all sorts of different angles. The Pentagram could mean all sorts of things.

It could be associated with the Planet Venus. It could be associated with paganism or Satanism. In Christianity, it's a symbol of the five senses. It may represent human beings.

It may even represent the union of man and woman (as two is a female number and three is a masculine number or some such nonsense).

<Blue color and bolded mine>

Where'd you get that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:13 am
In the ur-thread on this topic, the author claimed to resent the reaction he/she/it got from wearing a t-shirt with said symbol emblazones thereon. In a fine pout, the author objected to the responses that thread got. Now the author has started yet another thread on the subject. The author wants to make much of the symbol, all protestations to the contrary notwithstanding. My take is that the author is an attention seeker, and has, to a limited degree, acheived that object.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:14 am
To tell you the truth it was in Wikipedia, but later research has turned up this:

http://altreligion.about.com/library/weekly/aa100102a.htm

Which states somwhere in it (I am not legally allowed to copy any of it) that the pentagram was used by Christian Kabbalists and is also a symbol for Christ.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:18 am
I find the reference to the Druze interesting, and have always found the Druze to be an interesting group of people. At this site, the Druze appear simply to use a multi-colored, five-pointed star. If one is going to refer to all five-pointed stars as pentagrams, then the use of that symbol is nearly universal. One interesting aspect of this type of "pentagram" (i.e., the five pointed star) is that it can be drawn with a single line without lifting the pen from the paper.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:18 am
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4413/tat9kf.png

Why the hell put the damn thing on top of your head?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:21 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Maybe he's really short, so people will have no problem seeing it there. Laughing I kid, I kid. No offence meant.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 04:30 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Heh.
That's my shoulder. Photo taken about 4 years ago just after I had it done. It is more faded now...Stretched a bit too since I have about 2x the muscle mass I had back then. Still looks badass tho Smile
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 04:34 pm
snood wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

<Blue>

Where'd you get that?

Check this out.

Perhaps most curious is the pentagram as it relates to early Christianity. Up until medieval times, the five points of the pentagram represented the five wounds of Christ on the Cross. During these times the pentagram, so criticized by modern Fundamentalist Christians, carried no evil implications at all and in fact, in a lesser way than the cross, was symbolic of the Savior.

Constantine the Roman Emperor who converted to Christianity, and whose mother Helena discovered the religious relic known as the True Cross, chose to use the pentagram on his seal and amulet. In the ensuing church that grew from Constantine's takeover of the Roman Empire, the cross became the chosen symbol of Christianity rather than the pentagram. Perhaps ironic, that by a mere choice of iconography, the pentagram could have been hanging around the necks of millions of Christians worldwide.

source
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 05:31 pm
The Knights Templar were a medieval sect of "soldier/monks". Your source is wacky. It would make as much sense and carry as much weight if you referred to some zoological encyclopedia that said the upside down star meant the cows were in season for breeding.

Just more ridiculous posturing from some clueless follower of the cast out angel who became god of anything he could scrape together.

Satan sux.

go incant over that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:19 pm
snood wrote:
Just more ridiculous posturing from some clueless follower of the cast out angel who became god of anything he could scrape together.

Satan sux.

go incant over that.

I see you still have that respect for others religious views.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:25 pm
mesquite wrote:
snood wrote:

Satan sux.

go incant over that.

There is a collective thought that Satanism is not a religion. You will find many opinions on this in the religious world.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:57 pm
mesquite wrote:
snood wrote:

Satan sux.

go incant over that.

Respect...

for others religious views....

in the way that......who does?

Although it probably would be better to be respectful of others beliefs and if not for the sake of one's beliefs....for the sake of one's feelings. To avoid intentionally hurting another.....maybe.

Then again we could just keep the insults flying......back....and forth. Respect? Where?

You must be a man of great faith. You believe in something you have little if no evidence of.....kinda like my "imaginary friend" or maybe even my brain "virus".

According to some.....respect is not given....it is earned! By what measure? lol

By the measure we establish of course. lol what sucks is.....the measure we use for others often times....is above what we can bare.

Nice.

If respect is truly earned......I know of only one man who has earned it.

The only one who lived his life totally in the service and purpose of someone other than himself.

I can see why people consider him imaginary now.
0 Replies

BLUDHAVEN

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 08:44 pm
Yea well i think i should be given some respect because i dont feel like im getting any in this forum.
#1 for you people im not goth
#2 dont call somebody something when u dont have the evidence.
#3 if u dont give respect dont expect to see any coming your wayanytime soon.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 08:49 pm
BLUDHAVEN wrote:
Yea well i think i should be given some respect because i dont feel like im getting any in this forum.
#1 for you people im not goth
#2 dont call somebody something when u dont have the evidence.
#3 if u dont give respect dont expect to see any coming your wayanytime soon.

Cool. Nice to meet you Bludhaven. So you think people should respect others
whether it is earned or not?

Sounds like grace.

It's an easy measure at least. Easier to receive than give though.

I'll do my best to be respectful of you even when we don't agree on things.

Welcome to the forum. Maybe we can start a new trend. lol

Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself. I'm said to have a wild imagination.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:06 pm
Bartikus wrote:

The only one who lived his life totally in the service and purpose of someone other than himself.

You must mean Mahatma Gandhi, but people don't "consider him imaginary now".
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:15 pm
Chumly wrote:
Bartikus wrote:

You must mean Mahatma Gandhi, but people don't "consider him imaginary now".

I don't know much about Gandhi.

From what I do know of him....he was much more like my "imaginary friend" than most.

A good role model for just about anyone. I like your avatar chumly. Is that guy an electrician?

Maybe people don't consider Gandhi imaginary but often times people like that seem "too good to be true" which is kinda the same thing i guess.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:25 pm
I am no expert on him either but I saw the movie and read part of the book. How could you not have tremendous respect for him? It would not surprise me if at some point in the future he became a major religious icon.

There was a guy making custom avatars I'll give you the link and if he is still around maybe he'll whip up one for you, it sure is fun and yeah he is an electrician!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34408&highlight=
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:36 pm
Chumly wrote:
I am no expert on him either but I saw the movie and read part of the book. How could you not have tremendous respect for him? It would not surprise me if at some point in the future he became a major religious icon.

There was a guy making custom avatars I'll give you the link and if he is still around maybe he'll whip up one for you, it sure is fun and yeah he is an electrician!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34408&highlight=

From what I know of Gandhi he lived a highly respectable life and I thought he was/is an icon of sorts.

Thanks for that link chumly.

Are you an electrician? lol

Cool profession. Sometimes hot......lol i know...lame
0 Replies