Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!
One down, an administration to go.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:39 pm
Links ?

This isn't some sort of cruel post April fools joke is it ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:44 pm
I tried to find something on Google News, but came up dry . . .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:48 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/03/delay.election/index.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:54 pm
Good lookin' out, Fishin' . . .

The Smarmy Ol' Bastid wrote:
"This had become a referendum on me," he told the magazine. "So it's better for me to step aside and let it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and what's important for this district."

Pardon me while i step over here to puke for a moment. Really, Tom, when is it ever anything but a referendum on the incumbent, when an incumbent runs? He must belong to that school of politicians who believe the electorate are as dumb as so many posts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
He was running on a platform of, "liberals is trying to destroy me and America. Vote DeLay and keep America free."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:59 pm
I am completely suffused with happiness.

I've waited for this day for three years now. Go, justice!

The question asked at DailyKos: Can the Republicans replace him on the ballot, since he's already won the primary?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:00 pm
If you want an interesting take on that angle, EB, check out his World War on Christianity snake oil pitch. Just google up Tom Delay+War on Christianity.

When i looked for a google news story on this at about 10:30 (9:20 a2k time), there was nada, now the first page of a google news search is full of this story.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:24 pm
Yeah? Well, Bill Clinton . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:35 pm
and the intern
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The question asked at DailyKos: Can the Republicans replace him on the ballot, since he's already won the primary?

According to the Time magazine article ( http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1179857,00.html ) DeLay has already figured that out. He's moving to VA. By moving out of TX he becomes ineligible to run (he'd no longer be a resident of TX) which, under TX law, allows the TX State Republican Committee to appoint a replacement candidate.

If he stays in TX his name would still appear on the ballot even though he's withdrawn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:48 pm
He would not have withdrawn if he could not have been replaced on the ballot. The polls gave him a 50% chance of winning.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:50 pm
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/008100.php

Quote:
Okay, this is very negative reinforcement for this new thing I'm trying: flipping off all the computers and gizmos to spend evenings -- sans connectivity -- with my wife. I try it tonight. And now I come back to the electronic world to find that Tom DeLay has finally given up the political ghost and I wasn't there to see it. Delay won't seek reelection and according to Time will resign from Congress in the near future.

I haven't seen anything but the headlines yet. But I think the story here is clear. Prosecutors knocking down one pin at a time. Paul Kiel and I were talking about this before I left the office early this evening: Rudy, to Buckham, to DeLay. They're each going to down. And the road map was clear -- though largely implicit -- in the Rudy plea documents.

DeLay's lawyers must have sat him down over the last 72 hours and explained to him that he needs to focus on not spending most of the rest of his life in prison.

More soon.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:55 pm
Karma in operation.

DeLay should have and needed to go.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

However....if anyone thinks this is a precursor to a Dem victory, they are nuts. Delay (perhaps deliberately) has robbed the Dems of a choice argument.

My bet is that Dem operatives are not happy about this news.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:02 pm
Delay? Offer him a deal and pump him for information. Shake him down for other corrupt politicians. They'll drop like dominos on each other.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:10 pm
Amigo wrote:
Delay? Offer him a deal and pump him for information. Shake him down for other corrupt politicians. They'll drop like dominos on each other.

Nonsense.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:23 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Nonsense.
That is a proven effective way of catching more criminals. Make them rat on eachother. The more crooked politicians we can get to rat on eachother the better it is for the country and the more they'll think twice next time.

Former DeLay Aide Enriched By Nonprofit
Bulk of Group's Funds Tied to Abramoff

By R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 26, 2006; A01

A top adviser to former House Whip Tom DeLay received more than a third of all the money collected by the U.S. Family Network, a nonprofit organization the adviser created to promote a pro-family political agenda in Congress, according to the group's accounting records.

DeLay's former chief of staff, Edwin A. Buckham, who helped create the group while still in DeLay's employ, and his wife, Wendy, were the principal beneficiaries of the group's $3.02 million in revenue, collecting payments totaling $1,022,729 during a five-year period ending in 2001, public and private records show.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:29 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

My bet is that Dem operatives are not happy about this news.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Hope you aren't betting the farm...or in your case, the trailer?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:32 pm
Amigo wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Nonsense.
That is a proven effective way of catching more criminals. Make them rat on eachother. The more crooked politicians we can get to rat on eachother the better it is for the country and the more they'll think twice next time.

Except that DeLay is at the top of the food chain. BTW dem operatives are very worried about DeLay dropping out of the race. Scared shitless, doncha know?
0 Replies