Delay calls it quits

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:19 pm
The loss of lockstep is definitely a good thing.

Tell me though, Lash, why such personal glee? You sound as small-minded as Rush, which ain't pretty.

We should all be primarily happy, IMO, that this (alleged) criminal isn't going to be sitting in congress any more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
Just heard the Shrub on the radio wishing Delay "all the best."

Translation: Don't let the door hit ya in the ass, Tom.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:46 pm
Cafferty on Delay

Quote:
Cafferty: "Wolf all the tough talk was reduced to, "I quit!" To borrow a phrase from Roberto Duran, " No Mas." Mr. Delay suddenly became another disgraced public servant who couldn't take the heat." He would strut around on capitol hill like a cocky little, bandy rooster, but today he slithered away from Congress...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:47 pm
Several years too late. The damage is done . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:51 pm
DrewDad wrote:
The loss of lockstep is definitely a good thing.

Tell me though, Lash, why such personal glee? You sound as small-minded as Rush, which ain't pretty.

We should all be primarily happy, IMO, that this (alleged) criminal isn't going to be sitting in congress any more.

So, you can have personal glee...? But, if I do, I'm...small minded? LOL!!! That's sort of crazy.

What's small minded about being thrilled that a big stinking albatross has been removed from the neck of the GOP??? Sorry your tired, desperate lunge to drag Rush's name in didn't fit today. Try again tomorrow. Laughing Laughing Laughing

He sucks.

He's gone.

I'm happy.

And, a HUGE target has been excised from the party. I bet the Dem war room for the mid term campaigns is shrouded in mourning. Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:54 pm
There are dozens of targets besides Tom Delay. Plus, his trial(s) will possibly be ongoing during the critical election time, keeping Republican corruption real in the eyes of the public.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:55 pm
...whistling past the graveyard...
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:57 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
There are dozens of targets besides Tom Delay. Plus, his trial(s) will possibly be ongoing during the critical election time, keeping Republican corruption real in the eyes of the public.

That won't happen though. (the trial) The Dems can't run on this culture of corruption nonsene anyway...except perhaps in Sugarland.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:58 pm
LMAO !!!

You know it was better for us than for youse guys...short run and long run.

But, we'll be watching the trial of cop beater-911 conspiracy theorist, Crazy Cynthia, around election time.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:06 pm
Now the racists are calling her crazy. How nice!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:30 pm
The freaks are denying it! How typical!!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:37 pm
One wonders how any sane person could get fooled by the likes of Delay, but, of course, we are dealing with people who are living in a Superman-Bizzaro world, not lucid, reasoning, rational human beings. These people should be in a rubber room, instead they post on the internet...come to think of it...both actualities could be in play...

Funny how the mid-east posts get wackier as the night goes on. I wonder if alcohol could be a factor.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:39 pm
Translation: She's drunk posting from a rubber room, and was obviously fooled by DeLay.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:11 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Amigo wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Amigo wrote:
Delay? Offer him a deal and pump him for information. Shake him down for other corrupt politicians. They'll drop like dominos on each other.

Nonsense.
That is a proven effective way of catching more criminals. Make them rat on eachother. The more crooked politicians we can get to rat on eachother the better it is for the country and the more they'll think twice next time.

Former DeLay Aide Enriched By Nonprofit
Bulk of Group's Funds Tied to Abramoff

By R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 26, 2006; A01

A top adviser to former House Whip Tom DeLay received more than a third of all the money collected by the U.S. Family Network, a nonprofit organization the adviser created to promote a pro-family political agenda in Congress, according to the group's accounting records.

DeLay's former chief of staff, Edwin A. Buckham, who helped create the group while still in DeLay's employ, and his wife, Wendy, were the principal beneficiaries of the group's $3.02 million in revenue, collecting payments totaling $1,022,729 during a five-year period ending in 2001, public and private records show.

Delay has put and end to it all.

He is not going to "rat out" anyone.

Hope (for Leftists) springs eternal however.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/14276602.htm

Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay called it quits this week, days after his former deputy chief of staff pleaded guilty to corruption and conspiracy charges based on activities run out of DeLay's office. Last November, another DeLay protege pleaded guilty to conspiracy to bribe public officials. One of DeLay's ``dearest friends,'' convicted super lobbyist Jack Abramoff, is singing louder than backups to the Rolling Stones in order to try to dodge more prison time.

With more indictments inevitable, you'd think that especially Republicans in Congress would want to get out ahead of the headlines and confront head-on the influence-peddling and decade of institutional corruption that are DeLay's legacy.

amigo - 142,536

Peanut gallery - 0

http://www.howdydoodytime.com/images/gallery_anim.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:36 pm
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:28 pm
The Republican party has something up it's sleeve. I wonder what it will be?

After all where talking about......The Architect.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 11:48 pm
Setanta wrote:
In keeping with my policy of noting that i have done so, this is to inform the readers that i've reported the two posts in which Finn marshalled the strongest rhetorical weapons in his arsenal, and called other members childish names.

This is too funny.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:01 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Setanta wrote:
In keeping with my policy of noting that i have done so, this is to inform the readers that i've reported the two posts in which Finn marshalled the strongest rhetorical weapons in his arsenal, and called other members childish names.

This is too funny.

Then why are you the only one laughing?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:20 am
DrewDad wrote:
Lash wrote:
This is a boon for the GOP.

More like a boon for the American people in general. And Texans in particular.

It is a boon for the GOP. Pelosi and Reid made every effort to squeeze out a few last drops of their Culture of Corruption rant during their comments on The Hammer's retirement. As much as it had to pain the little ratter that he was conceding a fight, I suspect he took solace in the fact that he deprived the Dems of a political advantage.

To some extent it is a boon for the American people in general in the sense that it clears from the decks a nasty piece of political work, however Delay was but one of many of his kind (Repub and Dem alike) in DC, and his demise is not much more significant then ridding a roach infested apartment of one of its largest oily bugs.

On the other hand, to the extent that he was uniquely effective in ramming conservative agenda items into law, his departure has a detrimental effect on the country.

As for his exit being particulary positive for Texans, that's simply ridiculous. Texans throughout the state have benefited from Delay being a major force in Washington, just as the citizens of any state that sends a representive to Washington who is able to achieve major influence and status. Texas Liberals (as small and sorry a lot as they may be) are probably rejoicing, but they need to accept the fact that no matter how many Texan Republicans are dethroned, they will always, in the minds of the Blue State Liberals, be lumped into the great throng of Redneck Rightwingers that their Coastal cousins are convinced reside with the Lone Star State.

I suspect you will not agree, but I believe the American people, in general, will benefit from the retirement of Senators Byrd, Kennedy, and Reid. I don't for a minute, however, contend that the citizens of West Virginia, Massachusetts, and Nevada will.

The typical Liberal (outside the DC Beltway) reaction to Delay's passing is "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead!" which is evidence of the fact that they are at best hypocrites, and at worse incapable of logical thought. For a group that abhors the notions of Black vs White, or that their is not a redeemable aspect of even the most heinous of criminals, it is amusing how absolute their regard is for those whom they deem to be political Bad Guys.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 12:45 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Those of you who think this is a boon for the GOP, and a pain for Dems, are out of your fricking minds.

Many Dems have been working and hoping for this to happen for a long time. It isn't a pain for us. We'd rather lose the seat and have DeLay gone.

Also, anyone who thinks that DeLay resigned for anything other than legal reasons is kididng themselves. He is facing major indicments on the Federal level - a simple reading of the Tony Rudy case shows this to be true.

What really happened? One of his advisors told him that he'd better spend all his time trying to stay out of pound-me-in-the-ass prison, and forget about being re-elected.

It doesn't end here, because DeLay built up the entire Republican House money machine. Lots of Republicans were in his pocket. When the Feds come knocking, with jailtime, do you really think that he's going to turtle up and go to prison rather than sell out others?

Seriously?

Cycloptichorn

<dancing a happy dance>

I have no doubt that your garden variety Lefty is dancing the Happy Dance because of DeLay's demise. He has long been one of their most despised bogeymen, and to see him in ruins has long been one of their most fervent hopes (although in the sort of empathetic way to which Lefties are so proud of laying claim).

However, hard core DC Libs have a different perspective than you Coffee House Libs. They profess to buy into all this Left-wing nonsense because it provides them with a platform from which to obtain power. You and your Pals, on the other hand, do so so because it in some way makes you feel superior.

In any case, the Hard Core Politicos, while savoring the wounds of a powerful enemy, are thinking beyond individual battles and striving to win the war. A tainted Delay continuously commanding headlines was much more to their liking and their strategy, then a momentary period of gloating over his ruin.

It's probably more a Hollywood cliches than a historical fact, but Delay's departure brings to mind the classic scene wherein a captured spy smiles as he bites down on a false tooth filled with cyanide.

But hey, by all means have a ball reveling in the personal ruination of another human being. Afterall, DeLay was Satan Spawn and deserved the most hideous of fates. Much worse than someone who murders her children because of postpartum depression.
0 Replies