Delay calls it quits

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:25 am
Better armed, though . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:29 am
Only if one hasn't been indicted for a felony, like one Mr. Tom DeLay.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:32 am
DrewDad wrote:
Lash wrote:
This is a boon for the GOP.

More like a boon for the American people in general. And Texans in particular.

Politically, the GOP moves four steps up, the Dems lose a major target.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:38 am
The Dems ain't worried. Plenty of other dead weight in the Republican party that'll help 'em out.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:02 am
We just jettisoned Public Enemy #1---but the Dems are still loaded down with crap.

Witness Cynthia McKinney, likely to be arrested for assaulting a Capital cop.

Her excuse: racism!!

Bring it on!! LOL!!!
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:09 am
Today's Headline, "My Constituents Don't Deserve This."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190448,00.html Good lord - took him long 'nugh. His "constituents" voted for him is what troubles me most...yikes. The resignation will not be the end of it - all his deeds will come back to haunt not only Delay but the GOP.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:38 am
Sure, Lash, Cynthia McKinney's personal interactions with a cop equate with DeLay's consipiracy to launder money and re-arrange voting districts....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
Those of you who think this is a boon for the GOP, and a pain for Dems, are out of your fricking minds.

Many Dems have been working and hoping for this to happen for a long time. It isn't a pain for us. We'd rather lose the seat and have DeLay gone.

Also, anyone who thinks that DeLay resigned for anything other than legal reasons is kididng themselves. He is facing major indicments on the Federal level - a simple reading of the Tony Rudy case shows this to be true.

What really happened? One of his advisors told him that he'd better spend all his time trying to stay out of pound-me-in-the-ass prison, and forget about being re-elected.

It doesn't end here, because DeLay built up the entire Republican House money machine. Lots of Republicans were in his pocket. When the Feds come knocking, with jailtime, do you really think that he's going to turtle up and go to prison rather than sell out others?

Seriously?

Cycloptichorn

<dancing a happy dance>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:04 am
DeLay was a HUGE target and the embodiment of the worst stereotype of the GOP. His Shiavo antics were to play a HUGE part in Dem midterm rhetoric.

Whoooops!!

<dancing happy dance>
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:07 am
They will still play the same part, because DeLay wasn't forced out by his own side; he resigned because of his impeding legal troubles.

Still plenty of Republicans in the house who voted for the 'DeLay rule.' Once he's going through trial, you think it's a good thing to have gone on record, changing the rules, to defend him?

Where exactly are you getting your information from, that the Schiavo antics were going to play a large part in the midterms? Specifically.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:11 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Where exactly are you getting your information from, that the Schiavo antics were going to play a large part in the midterms? Specifically.

Cycloptichorn

A few decades of watching politics closely, and hearing that very drumbeat previous to his legal troubles. And, DeLay was the one who said the crazy stuff. With him gone, his quotes can't be attributed to someone else.

He was a crap magnet, and he's gone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:13 am
A crap magnet! That means he is now laden with crap, much of it his own excretion.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:15 am
I agree, LW. That's why I've wanted him gone for a couple of years.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:37 am
Quote:
Give DeLay's Money Back?

By Paul Kiel - April 4, 2006, 11:23 AM
Well, Tom DeLay has bowed out of his congressional race to spend more time with his lawyers.

But as Josh mentioned last night, DeLay's machine remains. And since the Justice Department's bribery investigation took a direct turn toward DeLay with Tony Rudy's guilty plea last week, the second former aide of DeLay's to plead guilty, one has to imagine the fallout were DeLay to eventually be indicted.

You remember the media frenzy after Jack Abramoff's guilty plea in January. Dozens of members of Congress rushed to return or donate Abramoff's and his clients' money. And recently, the same has occurred with Tony Rudy, although Rudy is not a household name - so only 13 of the 34 Republicans who received contributions from him have returned them.

But imagine the predicament Republicans would find themselves in were DeLay to be indicted. Fundraising was DeLay's specialty, and the main way that he kept House members in his debt. It's difficult to even calculate DeLay's impact in dollars, given how central he's been to the Republican money machine (appearing at others' fundraisers, directed corporate dollars to the GOP), but at the least, one would have to look at DeLay's political committee, Americans for a Republican Majority, which he's used to spread money around to hundreds of Republican House candidates since 1996.

$3.47 million of ARMPAC's money has gone directly to Republican candidates since '96. And to over 100 members of the current Congress, usually in $10,000 payments.

So here's something to watch - here's a list of the GOP candidates who received money from DeLay in '04. How long will they hold on to it? Tony Rudy's guilty plea implicated another former DeLay aide, Ed Buckham, who used to run ARMPAC. Jim Ellis, another former head of ARMPAC, has already been indicted in Texas for laundering corporate contributions down there, along with DeLay himself. How many former leaders of ARMPAC and others connected with DeLay have to go down before ARMPAC money is finally seen as tainted?

Permalink | TOPICS: Tom DeLay

Get it, Lash? The dirty money has been flowing around the Republican house for a long time. Soon, anyone who has taken money from ARMPAC will have to defend why they got donations from crooked sources.

The attempt to spin the loss of a major leader of the Republican party as a good thing is laughable at best. Where were the Republicans calling for him to resign, prior to yesterday? Nowhere, because they obviously didn't exist. Without DeLay and the tight reigns on the money machine, you can kiss goodbye to the lockstep majorities the Republicans have enjoyed in the House.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:40 am
Forgot the link on the above post, but it's the same here:

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/

Quote:
Turning Campaign Dollars to Legal Defense Dollars

By Paul Kiel - April 4, 2006, 12:28 PM
Voila! As R. Jeffrey Smith pointed out in The Washington Post this morning, Tom DeLay's decision to bow out of the race means that he'll save big on campaign expenses. In my mind, this explanation for DeLay's decision to drop out has been underplayed. There were reports earlier this year that his defense fund was in the red - he needs money, and with the progress of the Justice Department's investigation against him, he's looking at the possibility of a federal indictment on top of his case in Texas.

The DeLay legal fund raised about $1.6 million over the last six years. Apparently, he's spent it all. So what's he going to do? At last count, his campaign had $1,295,350 in the bank, which he can soon use to get himself out of debt.

DeLay has good company in looking to use campaign money for his defense. Most recently, in fact, former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-CA) recently petitioned the FEC to let him do just that.

And since the commission already ruled on Cunningham's situation, DeLay wouldn't need to ask -- he could say he's in the same boat as Cunningham, according to FEC spokesman George Smaragdis. That'd be a curious admission, to be sure, so keep your eyes open.

Permalink | TOPICS: Tom DeLay

Another good reason for DeLay to resign: he's broke, and needs to take the money that his constituents paid to have him re-elected and use it to defend himself in court.

I'm sure that's going to go over well with all those good-hearted, social conservatives who thought they were doing the right thing giving money to DeLay and the GOP; now they are funding the defense of one of the most crooked politicians in Washington.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:41 am
Cyclops--

I don't agree with many of your political ideas, but I refuse to believe you are so naive to think that dirty money is a Republican problem.

I am thrilled at DeLay's exit and I know it can ONLY be a positive for the GOP. Further, a reduction in lockstep is a blissfully wonderful thing, though you must not be reading AT ALL recently, since the GOP has begun to show some individuality on many fronts!!

Hope your party can find one good thing among themselves.

Just one.

One.

LOL!!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:45 am
Neither party is "my" party, and i'd fervently love to see the lot of them blown to hell . . . or better yet, put in a maximum security prison, rather than a Federal country club with razor wire . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:50 am
Again, he wins the contest.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
Quote:
I don't agree with many of your political ideas, but I refuse to believe you are so naive to think that dirty money is a Republican problem.

Oh, I'm not so Naive to believe that only Republicans are involved with corruption or scandal; I know the Dems are hardly better.

But that doesn't really matter right now, because the fact is that several Republican scandals are the ones being investigated by the DoJ. It isn't like these investiagtions aren't going to continue apace. And the longer it goes on, the worse it gets for the Republicans; the 'culture of corruption' isn't a catch-phrase, it is reality, at least amongst Republican Congressmen these days.

You can laugh as loud as you want, but neither this, nor the other problems Republicans face, bode well for the fall elections.

I agree that having diversity of ideas is a good thing, but is hardly the traditional strength of the DeLay-controlled House. Infighting within the Republican party can be pretty fierce, and you've been spared that for a while thanks to the control DeLay held over the monies; but not anymore.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:16 pm
Lash is going to lose her breath if she keeps whistling in the dark like this...

DeLay is a symbol of corruption regardless of whether he's in office or not. He's not absolved of all sin because he resigned. The Dems will make sure he's not forgotten any time soon.
0 Replies