What is the NCRC Command Line Swtch and Where is it Located?

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:44 am
I know very little about my computer except that I want it to work. I just tried to download something and received the NSIS error popup. I googled NCRC Command Line Switch and found this website with your information forum. Can anyone help me find this switch so I can download the program I want. I have read several other entries here and am beginning to think that the recent upgrade to the XP service pack 2 may be having something to do with it. My personal email address is [email protected] if any of you have the patience to deal with a newbie! I would sincerely appreciate some help. Thank you, shelley

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:41 am
Whatchya got going on there most likely is the result of a coding error in the app you're trying to download and install - prolly having to do with the installer for that app; NSIS is the open-source NullSoft Scriptable Install System, commonly found in association with amature-developed software.

A possibility is that your download of the app in question is corrupt, which easily can happen if you're using a download accellerator. Another possibility is that something else you've previously downloaded and installed is affecting the ability ofm NSIS to do its job, which is to install an application.

The "NCRC Commandline Switch" you mention isn't anything you can download or locate, its an error-check inhibiting parameter which can be appended to the command line install string for the app in question. From the Command Prompt , the desired command string would be typed, then the string "/NCRC" would be typed as the last entry on the command line, then the command line would be executed by hitting ENTER. There's a reason "Not Recommended" pops up in reference to that, and frankly, not to be mean or anything, but if you are not familiar and comfortable with command line operations, you have no business concerning your self with them, and doubly no business using optional switches to modify the intended function of them. If you've gotta ask, you have no need or reason to know.

My guess is the app you're concerned with somehow is related to P2P filesharing, was written by someone of uncertain credentials, and prolly is something you can do well without if you are unable to sort out its problems and pitfalls on your own.

The short version; I recommend you forget about it and move on.
shabbylady

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
Thank you for your recommendation!
Thank you for your wise recommendation. I have absolutely no idea what you said except that I won't mess with something I know nothing about and can't even understand! Point well taken. Yours truly, shelley
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:52 pm
Yer weccum. I hate to see folks hurt themselves.

Though I derive a bit of income cleaning up after user-inflicted system damage - something which frequently calls for command line operations :wink:
0 Replies

ragno23

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:48 pm
/NCRC
This error does not just come up when downloading crap... I have the same error and I haven't a clue how to bypass it. NSIS is catching every download I complete. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for any help
0 Replies

shirye

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 06:21 pm
omg
the same thing is happening to me. now i cant play any of my games i like =(
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:47 am
About the only reliably effective way I can think of to remedy the situation would be to figure out the application (downloaded or installed from disc as the case might have been) which first brought about the problem, uninstall it and remove all remaining associated registry entries, and then track down and likewise eliminate all subsequent similarly affected apps. That can be a real adventure.
0 Replies

RckNL

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 11:07 am
I downloaded RYL from the original site and got the NSIS error too.
when is was done reading all the Posts.. i didn't get any further.
so...

Could someone just answer 2 Questions ?

-Where is it located?
-How do we bypass it?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 05:12 pm
timberlandko wrote:
...NSIS is the open-source NullSoft Scriptable Install System, commonly found in association with amature-developed software.

A possibility is that your download of the app in question is corrupt, which easily can happen if you're using a download accellerator. Another possibility is that something else you've previously downloaded and installed is affecting the ability ofm NSIS to do its job, which is to install an application.

The "NCRC Commandline Switch" you mention isn't anything you can download or locate, its an error-check inhibiting parameter which can be appended to the command line install string for the app in question. From the Command Prompt , the desired command string would be typed, then the string "/NCRC" would be typed as the last entry on the command line, then the command line would be executed by hitting ENTER. There's a reason "Not Recommended" pops up in reference to that, and frankly, not to be mean or anything, but if you are not familiar and comfortable with command line operations, you have no business concerning your self with them, and doubly no business using optional switches to modify the intended function of them. If you've gotta ask, you have no need or reason to know....

As the big bird said ^
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 05:39 pm
(Internal A2K note: this thread has 10,066 views.

Thats about as much as my "thread on 2008: McCain,Giuliani & the Republicans" got - over 127 pages of discussion.

The big bird has been read by a lot of people..)
RckNL

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 06:34 am
Im not english,, im dutch so i don't understand difficult words.
I don't understand what the 'big bird' Says.

i only want a simple version of his story

Grz
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 06:45 am
Try the short version..

Quote:

I'm not sure what RYL is. I assume it is a game. The best place to find info on installing a game is the forums for that game. Most problems have been experienced by someone before.
0 Replies

claytonctc

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:19 pm
can you make it simple?
can you make the whole /NCRC thing simple i got a game i wanna play and i cant figure out how to use it
0 Replies

julztiger2010

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 08:14 pm
1 yr later and still no clue for ur readers lookin for info!
Confused I am sooo confused! I can't even download aim instant messenger! My virus protector says it is perfectly fine, but I still end up with the NSIS error! Can anyone help? Please! It would be greatly appreciated!
My private email address is [email protected]!
~Julz~ Confused
ellielili

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
i have the same problem
i have the same problem i cant download anything can anybody help me please!
My email [email protected]
Ellie
ifurn0

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:54 am
@ellielili,
*cough* w32.pinfi / parite *cough*
cleantool:
http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?cid=60045
0 Replies

gladiator100

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 10:34 am
@timberlandko,
Hey thx dude for your advice man it worked for me thnak you very much i hope u live a happy life
0 Replies

michel angel

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:32 pm
@shabbylady,
hey this error message could point out that the file downloaded has not been fully downloaded especially with files which have an exe extention which means you could install them on your computer so the installation would not be able to te complete untill the file is comletely downloaded this is an another mostly probable alternative
0 Replies

mullen

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:22 pm
my pc comes up with the same NSIS error could u just tell me how to open the command box and use the /NCRC command line switch
and i was downloadind adobe flash from the official get adobe website
0 Replies

SalentAnto

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 08:38 pm
it's exactly like the big bird said...
In a few words: If you are donwloading torrent files just close the software you're using(bitorrent,utorrent,ect..). then close the process connected with it (btna.exe for example).
Now donwload again the setup file and try!
Quite simple, isn't it?
Thanks big bird
SalentAnto
0 Replies