Official A2K Gathering in Chicago, May 7th, 2006!

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:12 pm
This is the big one, folks! Come one, come all!

What: The Official Able2Know.com Gathering
Where: Chicago, Illinois
When: Saturday, May 7th, 2006

Several months ago, Craven suggested on the Subscriber's Forum that we put together an official A2K gathering. The subscribers discussed possible locations and times at length, and just came to a final conclusion. Now we're opening it up to everyone.

We will be having one major event on Saturday; the exact time and place will be decided and publicized here on this thread. YOU can help decide the venue! We hope to get all of the Chicago locals involved in helping us research and decide, but anyone with Googling skills or past experience in Chicago is welcome to put in your two cents, too.

Beyond the Main Event, we expect that people will be arranging various satellite events -- museums, sports, shopping, etc. Feel free to use this thread to organize those events, (or create spin-off threads), but the focus here will be on the main get-together on Saturday.

It will likely involve food, but other than that we're open to various possibilities.

See you in May!

See: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67531 <--- please just put vital info there, so that that topic doesn't get too long. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 113,542 • Replies: 2,598
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 02:27 pm
GREAT!!!

Looking now for the best airfares ...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:26 pm
real long shot for me but I'm right now no vacation time - still pricing tickets,
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:29 pm
Yippeee!!!

Now, thinking of food, there's no place like Chicago for gyros - and the heck with New York, real Chicago hot dogs, from a tacky little Vienna Beef stand, complete with greasy fries, are a special treat. Certainly not to be overlooked is deepdish pizza. Lessee here - there's breakfast at a Steak & Egger (the one on Dickens was my fave), and of course, White Castles, with cheese and onions, by the sackful. MMMMMMM .... can't wait.

OK, you folks go ahead and hash things out ... I'm gonna go make a sammich now.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:34 pm
what about the pizza joint? Giardino's? or something like that - it's been awhile.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:43 pm
Yay!

Remember that this might be REALLY big... we'll see how it develops. But we may have to think much bigger than pizza place, for the main event anyway.

I found this, it's cool but might be scaled more expensive than we can afford:

http://www.choosechicago.com/makeitchicago/default.html

Personally, I love the idea of meeting at some cool historical building of some kind or another (OK, it doesn't have to be historical as long as it's cool) and have it catered. Doesn't necessarily have to be expensive, and allows for multi-use of one facility.

Could also rent a room or a whole food place, but that gets pricey, too.

Options galore!

Depends a great deal on how many people are interested, of course.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:00 pm
There's that big yacht that just sits there at the Navy Pier, seemingly unused.

Couldn't we use that? Sneak on or something?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:04 pm
HOOOORAAAAH!!!! rah rah! I shall be there! awesome. timber, you want real viennese hot dogs? i can bring you some from here. They are truly to die for. Or at least to injure a small insignificant animal... no no. I would possibly kill a fly for one though.

chicago, chicago, i've been there once. i had dinner at Sushi Samba Rio, but that was almost $100 per person - so that don't seem like a good meeting place (albeit it is ultimately cool). Where are Chicagoans? Sublime? Cynesthesia? Zane? Joefromchicago? Who else?

Hooray again!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:08 pm
Yayyyyyyy!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:23 pm
BBB
bm
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:31 pm
sozobe wrote:
Personally, I love the idea of meeting at some cool historical building of some kind or another (OK, it doesn't have to be historical as long as it's cool) and have it catered.

I vote for the basement of St.Helen's orphanage. That way we'd be on a mission from god, and we could even invite Jake and Elwood for the music.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:33 pm
Are you coming, Gus?
osso? bbb? y'all will be there?

now...what to wear...hmmm.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:37 pm
Maybe I could go. Is it in America?

(Hey, yurpeans are not guaranteed to get through Immigration, these days. Let's not count our turkeys)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:48 pm
Starting my diet tomorrow...

(kidding, I never diet).

Yes, I plan to.

I just looked up train fare with a roomette as it's a one day trip each way from Albuquerque - $952.
Forget that...
A regular coach seat - yikes, 24 hours - would be $220.

Of course I can fly, but I love trains and was thinking about trying it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:11 pm
Flights okay - looking now for a hotel ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:12 pm
Oh, and I must get a passport - we have those new digital now already.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:19 pm
The sell beer in Chicago right??? Surprised
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:29 pm
loads of beer. better than in boston! come! come along!

walter, what's a digital passport? will it be screened on one's forehead or sumtin?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:34 pm
Thinking about it. I know nothing about Chicago. Where is the area where most people would stay? Downtown? Where IS downtown?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:36 pm
I'm going to be a street bum if I come.
0 Replies