Water Treatment System Setup Possibilities

OhioGuy

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:07 am
My current water treatment setup (well water) consists of a chlorination system for H2S control, followed by a backwashing carbon filter to remove the chlorine. The carbon filter is a 10"x54" media tank containing 1.5 cf of carbon, with a timer valve. I recently purchased a RainSoft water system consisting of an Amazon Gold water softener and a non-backwashing carbon filter (system was originally installed on municipal water). Each media tank is 8"x44". The softener is set for 11000 grain capacity and a hardness level of 10 gpg. My well water has 20 gpg hardness, plus there are 5 members of my household, so the softener currently is grossly undersized.

I am considering rearranging my system as such:
1. Use the 2 8"x44" media tanks for my carbon filter, with 0.75 cf of carbon and the timer valve on the first tank, and another 0.75 cf of carbon in the second, non-backwashed tank.
2. Use the 10"x54" media tank for the softener, with 1.5 cf of resin and the Amazon metered valve. This will give me 48000 grain capacity max.

The chlorination system is set to maintain a free chlorine level of 0.5-1.0 ppm, which is comparable to most municipal water supplies, so I see no problem with the carbon filter(s) being set up this way, except to know how often to backwash the carbon filter.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this setup?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,820 • Replies: 10
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:41 pm
Re: Water Treatment System Setup Possibilities
OhioGuy wrote:
My current water treatment setup (well water) consists of a chlorination system for H2S control, followed by a backwashing carbon filter to remove the chlorine.
Does your setup have a retention tank? The standard is a 120 gallon tank that feeds into the bottom and draws from the top.
It is over 6 feet tall and goes between the injection point and the carbon filter(s)

Quote:
My well water has 20 gpg hardness, plus there are 5 members of my household, so the softener currently is grossly undersized.
Any Iron? How is the Ph?

Quote:
I am considering rearranging my system as such:
1. Use the 2 8"x44" media tanks for my carbon filter, with 0.75 cf of carbon and the timer valve on the first tank, and another 0.75 cf of carbon in the second, non-backwashed tank.
2. Use the 10"x54" media tank for the softener, with 1.5 cf of resin and the Amazon metered valve. This will give me 48000 grain capacity max.
I see no problem with this setup as long as the Amazon is reprogramed to reflect the change in capacity.

Quote:
The chlorination system is set to maintain a free chlorine level of 0.5-1.0 ppm, which is comparable to most municipal water supplies, so I see no problem with the carbon filter(s) being set up this way, except to know how often to backwash the carbon filter.
Once every one or two weeks depending on sediment content and the existence of a retention tank.

Also, if you do not have bacteria, iron or some other problem that requires chlorination you could do away with the whole
injection system and bed the two carbon tanks with Centaur catalytic carbon. This carbon is made for H2S reduction.
OhioGuy

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:54 pm
Yes, I do have a retention tank. We had problems getting the well certified potable because of bacteria, so the chlorination system is is also maintained as a backup safeguard. I don't know how much (if any) sediment is getting past the retention tank. There is almost no iron in the water - it was hard to tell if the test strip changed color at all. The pH looks to be around 8.4, or possibly a little higher.

I was told to check on two other things since I am changing the size of the resin tank - the drain line flow control, and the brine injector. Are either of these going to cause me a problem?
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 04:17 pm
Couple of things.

1. Do you generally need more than 550 gallons of softened water per day?

2. Are you softening all water in the house or just the feed to the water heater (typical)?

3. A 10" tank is large for a family softener. Although it potentially gives you more capacity, it's highly likely that the large diameter will encourage channelling through the resin bed, decreasing your softening capacity to next to nothing. It can be fine during heavy usage but channelling like crazy during "normal" usage such as just one person taking a shower. To get around this, a water distributor at the top can help, or even a redistribution panel in the middle of the bed (huge pain to deal with, however).
0 Replies

GA2001

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:25 am
Should I buy this RainSoft System?
We had a RainSoft system installed 2days ago. I have until Monday to cancel this whole deal. I have read a few bad things - seems mostly in the service area. My dealer just opened 3 months ago -(Athens, Georgia) Vision Marketing & Distributors. I have told the owner of my concerns that he might just up and leave and I would be stuck with a system that I can not service. He assured me that he was not going anywhere and that this business was his life. I told him I was not happy about all of the service problems and that the warranty only includes part replacement. He said he would give a 1yr warranty that would include service, labor and parts. All I have to buy is the salt. - $10 a bag. And would also be out within 72hrs for any service call.
This sounds great and all but I am still alittle scared to keep this thing. At $6000 - $149 for 5yrs that comes to $9000. Is this worth it? I plan on going up there in the morning and asking him to low his price and give the the 1yr warranty. IF they back there product this should not be a problem - don't ya think?

H2Oman - please reply. Have you heard about this dealer? Are you in GA?
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:47 am
$6000 - What kind of a system are you installing? Is this for a business? I used to do water treatment for a living and this seems high if it's not a large system.
0 Replies

GA2001

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:30 am
RainSoft System
No - its for my house. I have nasty smelly city water and was hoping this would help. Its a Rainsoft Apollo v-2 P-12 Whole House with SystemHydrefiner Series and SilverSeries Water Conditioner
I thought it cost to much - I am going to see if they will come down on price tomorrow. But I am really thinking about giving it all back. Any comments or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:45 am
If you are on city, water, most likely the "smelly" problem is chlorine. All you should need for city water is a carbon filter to get rid of the chlorine. That's what the Hydrefiner is. If it only boths you in your drinking water, then a small carbon filter can be installed under the kitchen sink, or in the feed water line to the kitchen sink or to a faucet specifically for drinking water. The filter would need to be changed every few months, depending upon the chlorine content and other stuff in your water. That should cost you a couple hundred at most. However, if the smell boths you when showering, doing laundry, etc. then a larger GAC (granulated activated carbon) filter should be installed. It would be similar in size and shape to a softener resin tank. This should cost less than $1000 installed.

Generally, unless your water is super hard, you only need to soften the water feeding the hot water heater because calcium and magnesium are less soluble as temperature rises (backwards from most things) so will start to coat hot water pipes, water heaters, etc if the water is hard. Lots of people do choose to soften all of the water in the house though - it's up to you. Don't, however, soften you're drinking water - the high sodium isn't good for you and it tastes funny. Also,soft water should not go to outside faucets that will be used to water lawn, plants, etc.

One-tank softeners should be avoided. If something goes wrong with one part of a one-tank system, the whole thing may need to be replaced. You should have a salt/brine tank separate from your softening resin tank. It will take up a bit more space but is worth it if you ever have a problem. One-tank systems are okay if you're looking to save some money or have a small house though. A good softener system should cost no more than $2000 installed, unless you have a very large house with heavy water usage.

Personally, I think you're getting ripped off by Rainsoft to the tune of $3000 or more.
0 Replies

GA2001

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:57 pm
Thank you for the advise. All was taken. I returned it - thank goodness for the Three Day Rule.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:12 pm
GA2001 wrote:
Thank you for the advise. All was taken. I returned it - thank goodness for the Three Day Rule.

Your welcome!

Glad to help.
0 Replies

Watersan1979

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 07:41 am
@H2O MAN,
For h2s ozoonation is the best n would like to know about water parameters were your consumption is around 1000lts/day.so I don't think softener is required. Any quarries can [email protected]

0 Replies