Roasted corn/ Parched corn

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 01:02 pm
Today I made an impulse buy at the produce stand of a half a pound of "roasted corn". While the fresh produce is local, they buy their nibble items in bulk and package them themselves.

Roasted corn has more crunch than flavor, but enough crunch that you are convinced you're consuming a substantial number of calories.

Is "roasted corn" the same as the "parched corn" I've read about the Plains Indians enjoying for a snack?

If not, what is the difference?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,655 • Replies: 11
No top replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 07:10 pm
Hi, Noddy! I've never heard of either but figured I'd stop by and say hello anyway. It does sound pretty good, though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 08:31 pm
Bandylu--

Good to hear from you. Abuzz was a poorer place when you left the whinging and wrangling for more serene places.

I think this corn has been dried and soaked and then toasted. The dogs find it most disappointing. I expect with the decibles in the crunch-crunch they are expecting to find juicy marrow in each kernel.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 08:41 pm
I'll have to look for it around these parts cause you make it sound better and better. And hopefully my doggy won't like it either -- then I won't have to share!
JerryR

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 11:05 pm
Hi All!

Bandylu,
I did a bit of research, and from what I can see, some sellers may be calling Parched Corn, "Roasted Corn" as they think it to be a more enticing name.
Anyhow, here's a home recipe (and they say you can dry your own corn very quickly, if you have a dehydrator):

Parched Corn
1/4 c. bacon drippings
2 c. dried sweet corn
Salt
Heat bacon drippings in heavy 3-quart saucepan. Add 1 kernel corn and heat until sizzling. Add corn. Cover. Cook over medium high to high heat, shaking constantly until corn pops and is lightly browned. Turn into colander to drain off excess grease. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt while warm.
bandylu2

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 11:08 pm
Jerry that sounds great (and relatively simple, too). Thank you.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 11:11 pm
Andy Jerry -- love your avatar. Loved the Muppet Show.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:34 pm
Thanks, Jerry. Parched/roasted corn seems to be a staple of trail mix. Personally, I don't think jiggling corn and bacon fat in a frying pan is "roasting", but I also get disgressed by suburban streets such as "Maple Lane" when not only are there no maples to be seen but every street in the development is straight as graph paper.

I did discover that parching or roasting corn would keep it from sprouting--or rotting--over the winter.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:54 pm
@bandylu2,
bandylu2 wrote:

I'll have to look for it around these parts cause you make it sound better and better. And hopefully my doggy won't like it either -- then I won't have to share!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:57 pm
@bandylu2,
bandylu2 wrote:

This is just a test
0 Replies

Nadine Case

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:45 am
@JerryR,
I used to buy parched corn from Barry Farms but they don't sell it any more. I'm an adventurous cook so I think I'll try your recipe. It's a tasty product but I guess it has limited appeal to the general public or we'd see more offerings.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 04:36 pm
Sounds like what is sold commercially as Corn Nuts.

https://ssl9.chi.us.securedata.net/theheadnut.com/merchantmanager/images/uploads/corn%20nuts.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_nut

Found a do-it-yourself page:

http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods009.htm
0 Replies