THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 12:17 pm
@margo,
7/7 did that to London for a week or so, Margo. It's too fresh in the mind to just go about normal business, and quite rightly feels disrespectful.

Kudos to you in Oz though, for the way you handled it all.

In the end, we all have lone nutters who find some cause or other. This one happened to have jumped on the jihad bandwagon some years ago. It'll tighten up your gun checks and bail decisions for a year or two, but Oz is Oz. You know what I mean.

She'll be right.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 01:05 pm
Senator Leyonhjelm called for American style gun laws because 'this would never have happened in Texas'

Wow. Amazed someone with that sort of analytical ability got elected at all. For those who don't know he's the the only MP from our Liberal Democratic Party (no relation to the UK version).

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 01:13 pm
@hingehead,
It is astounding that someone in high office would actually consider spouting that crap in public.

You should write to him and ask him to google "gun massacres usa"

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 01:35 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Leyonhjelm had been a member of the Shooters Party since 1992, and, from 1999, was its chairman for a period ... (from wikipedia)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 01:42 pm
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10687129_1363856890368677_7411024877591255134_n.jpg?oh=48b8d89176320ac845d779102463c921&oe=55001699
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 08:31 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Senator Leyonhjelm called for American style gun laws because 'this would never have happened in Texas'

Wow. Amazed someone with that sort of analytical ability got elected at all. For those who don't know he's the the only MP from our Liberal Democratic Party (no relation to the UK version).

Dear God, this does happen in Texas. Don't let your politicians quote NRA talking points to Australians, those NRA assholes would issue side arms with every birth certificate and penalize anyone who didn't spend all their free time at a gun range.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 11:00 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

It is astounding that someone in high office would actually consider spouting that crap in public.

Sadly,the Senate elections resulted in an absolute ragbag of loonies and idiots from minor and single-interest parties. He just happens to be one from our state.

I was surprised that the Herald included his ravings, but I suppose he offers a different viewpoint:
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/lindt-cafe-hostages-like-the-rest-of-us-denied-the-practical-right-to-selfdefence-20141218-129q4r.html

There was a response today from John Bermingham, not my favourite writer, but with some interesting statistics:
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/leyonhjelm-shoots-from-the-hip-20141219-129t2q.html

After Martin Bryant and the Port Arthur shootings, we just don't do guns here. And, apart from the loony Shooters Party element. we like it that way!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 10:53 pm
How well do you know your Aussie slang?
http://www.quizfreak.com/can-you-define-these-australian-slang-phrases/index1.html
cherrie

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 11:10 pm
@Wilso,
True Aussie Linguist!

Wow, great job! You are a True Aussie Linguist! Most people struggle mightily with this quiz as it takes someone who has spent extensive time in Australia, a true Australian native, or someone that has studied there to truly know these local to pass – but you made it happen! Whether you just love Australian culture, or if you’re simply well versed on the unique Australian-English phrases, you are definitely an Aussie expert! You would obviously be right at home down under.

That's good to know.
Builder

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 11:24 pm
@cherrie,
Too easy, Campese.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 01:29 pm
Merry Upsidedownmas Australia!

So? Are you fans of some these Ozzie candies?
hingehead

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 10:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Can't watch vids on my iPad right now because ios8 sucks, but we don't have candies - just lollies.
dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 03:01 pm
@hingehead,
And there hasn't been a lolly until the Jaffas. Timtams, barbecue shapes, kettle sour cream and chilli potato crisps and jaffas so far. That's two savouries, one biscuit and a lolly.

The Tim tam slam is wrong. You don't bite off half and suck the hot drink through it....you nibble off a corner at opposite ends.

I eat Tim tams once in a blue moon. They're inferior chocolate full of trans fats....but the slam is good! They signal desperation time at work.

I never eat barbecue shapes. I might have crisps once in a blue moon. Kettle are good. Haven't eaten jaffas since being a little kid.

Edited:
Musk sticks....ewwwwwww. Kid thing. They dissed chicos!!!!!!!! I love the Chico!
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 04:58 am
Shapes have come a long way since BBQ. The roasted capsicum and fetta are good IMO.

I'm a fan of the Aldi Blackstone Kettle sweet chillie and sour cream chippies. Still lots of oil for the organs to deal with, so I limit them to treat time.

Never really liked the jaffas. If I want a sugar rush, it's gotta be Skittles for mine.

And the musk sticks? Never was a keen consumer. A bit like those "fags" phony cigarettes. The flavour is just a bit suss.

For jubes, those chicos are good, but loaded with caffeine, so I prefer strawberries and cream.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 08:10 am
@tsarstepan,
Chips? Honey soy chicken or lime and black pepper from red rock deli and honey baked ham or chilli from kettle chips.

Used to like chicos but not musk sticks. Liked raspberries, but hated bananas. Hated mint leaves too. So many left out: fantales, milk bottles, redskins, Choo Choo bars, violet crumbles, lime bricks, snakes, chocolate freckles, frogs. Minties, pineapples, sherbies, smarties, Marella jubes, Kool mints. Lord why wasn't I a fat kid?

But as a kid what I really loved was Fry's Turkish delight. Used to save the wrapper because of the smell.
Builder

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 08:18 am
@hingehead,
Not to be forgetting Whiz Fizz, with the little coke spoon, or the sherbet nougats. Licorice allsorts too.

We weren't fat kids because we had the whole outdoor experience that seems to be lacking from today's crop of sproglets.
hingehead

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 02:54 pm
@Builder,
I used to think whizz fizzes were disgusting, just to look at, I never actually tried one. I wasn't fat, but I was neurotic.
dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 05:51 pm
@hingehead,
Loved the whizz fizz. hated the bananas, clinkers, was meh about the mint leaf'...love the milk bottle.
hingehead

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 05:58 pm
@dlowan,
Clinkers! What you get if you cross chalk with limestone. Never understood the appeal.
cherrie

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 02:00 am
@hingehead,
I never got clinkers either, pretty tasteless really.

I did love bananas though, and milk bottles - the way they used to be, not how they are now.

And I miss Polly Waffles. Sad