WA2K Radio is now on the air

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:19 am
Faces to match Bob's bios. Claire Trevor's the one on the left. Smile

http://www.movieforum.com/people/actresses/clairetrevor/images/stagecoach.jpghttp://www.usaplaza.com/City_Morgue_Gift_Shop/_files/AlanHaleJr.jpg
http://www.jennworks.com/images/dumdeedum.jpghttp://primadvd.cz/ofilm/20/020949.jpg
http://www.videomax.ro/Images/Actors/1510_a_normal.jpg
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:21 am
Tony Martin's hit is on the preceding page, Letty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:50 am
Well, folks, there's our Raggedy back with Tony's "ideas" and fabulous photo's. I know that song, PA. and while you were away I searched out Mr. Martin and found that he played Pepe Le Moko in a movie called The Casbah. Wow! Pepe Le Moko and Pepe Le Pew. Love it!

I think we know all your faces today, gal, but I don't know the last one.

Cyd was in Brigadoon? My favorite song from that musical happens to be Heather on the Hill.

Before I play that one, I would like to acknowledge edgar's Monkey song by Harry Belafonte. Fantastic, Texas. You're just wild about Harry, right? Razz

Heather on the Hill

Can't we two go walkin' together, out beyond the valley of trees?
Out where there's a hillside of heather, curtsyin' gently in the breeze.
That's what I'd like to do: see the heather--but with you.
The mist of May is in the gloamin', and all the clouds are holdin' still.
So take my hand and let's go roamin' through the heather on the hill.
The mornin' dew is blinkin' yonder. There's lazy music in the rill,
And all I want to do is wander through the heather on the hill.
There may be other days as rich and rare.
There may be other springs as full and fair.
But they won't be the same--they'll come and go,
For this I know:
That when the mist is in the gloamin', and all the clouds are holdin' still,
If you're not there I won't go roamin' through the heather on the hill,
The heather on the hill.

The first time that I ever heard that song, it was a beautiful instrumental by a tenor saxophonist, folks. The name of the album was Jam Session. Another search task for your PD because it was my husband who introduced it to me.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:10 am
I love that song, too, and probably won't get it out of my head for the rest of the day, now. Smile

Casbah's a musical remake of "Algiers", an old classic starring Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr. Yvonne DeCarlo was Tony's girl.

That's Lynn Redgrave, Letty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:16 am
My word, Raggedy. That's Lynn Redgrave? All I recall is the song from that movie.

I found the Jam Session album, but the picture didn't work, folks.
I know that Clifford Brown was on that album, but I cannot recall the saxophone player who did Heather on the Hill.

I'll try again later.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:04 pm
That shot of Claire Trevor and John Wayne is a still plugging their costarring roles in the classic Stagecoach. The film also had Thomas Mitchell, Andy Devine, John Carradine and Tim Holt in the cast. Yakima Canutt did much of the stunt work. He pointed out taking rifle shots from the top of the coach portraying John Wayne and then did a spill as an Indian essentially shooting himself out of the saddle.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:39 pm
I vaguely recall Stage Coach, Bob, but when I saw the name Tim Holt, I went to the archives and found that he played in The Treasure of Sierra Madre. Wow! Thanks, hawkman for the nudge in the right direction.

And, as serendipity would have it, I found this song that I swear Tony Martin sang some time or another, perhaps in The Casbah?

For every man there's a woman
For every life there's a plan
And wise men know it was ever so
Since the world began, woman was made for man
Where is she, where is the woman for me?

For every prince there's a princess
For every Joe there's a Joan
And if you wait, you will find the mate
Born for you alone, happy to be your own
Where is she, where is the woman for me?

Find the one, find the one
Then together you will find the sun

For every heart there's a moment
For every hand, a glove
And for every woman, a man to love

For every heart there's a moment
For every hand, a glove
And for every woman, a man to love
Where is she, where is the one for me?

All done in a minor key, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:12 pm
Where's that gal with the red dress on
Some folks calls her, Dinah
Stole my heart away from me, way down in Louisana
Take Me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry
Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry

Little bee sucks the blossom, big bee gets the honey
Dark kid raise the cotton, white man gets the money

Oh, walk and talk Suzy, walk and talk Suzy
Walk and talk Suzy, walk and talk Suzy

We always wear a great big smile, we never do look sour
Travel all over the country, playing music by the hour

Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young wed thee

Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:26 pm
Neat, edgar. The old originals, no?

Time for your PD to say goodnight, but I'll let Louis do it for me.

Pale moon shining on the fields below
Folks are crooning songs soft and low
Needn't tell me so because I know
It's sleepy time down south
Soft winds blowing through the pinewood trees
Folks down there like a life of ease
When old mammy falls upon her knees
It's sleepy time down south
Steamboats on the river a coming or a going
Splashing the night away
Hear those banjos ringing, the people are singing
They dance til the break of day, hey
Dear old southland with his dreamy songs
Takes me back there where I belong
How I'd love to be in my mammy's arms
When it's sleepy time way down south
Dear old southland with his dreamy songs
Take me back there where I belong
How I'd love to be in my mammy's arms
When it's sleepy time down south
Sleepy time down south

From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 11:11 pm
I hear the sound of distant drums
Far away, far away
And if they call for me to come
Then I must go and you must stay

So Mary, marry me, let's not wait
Let's share all the time we can before it's too late
Love me now for now is all the time there may be
If you love me Mary, Mary, marry me

I hear the sound of bugles blow
Far away, far away
And if they call, then I must go
Across the sea, so wild and grey

So Mary, marry me, let's not wait
For the distant drums might change our wedding date
And love me now, for now is all the time there may be
If you love me Mary, Mary, marry me

Jim Reeves
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 11:21 pm
Bob Wills Is Still The King
by WAYLON JENNINGS

Well the honky-tonks in Texas were my natural second home
Where you tip your hats to the ladies and the rose of San Antone
I grew up on music that we called western swing
It don't matter who's in Austin,Bob Wills is still the king
Lord i can still remember,the way things were back then
In spite of all the hard times,i'd live it all again
To hear the Texas playboys and Tommy Duncan sing
Makes me proud to be from Texas where Bob Wills is still the king
You can hear the Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville Tennessee
It's the home of country music,on that we all agree
But when you cross that ol' Red River hoss that just don't mean a thing
Cause' once you're down in Texas,Bob Wills is still the king
Well if you ain't never been there then i guess you ain't been told
That you just can't live in Texas unless you got a lot of soul
It's the home of Willie Nelson,the home of western swing
He'll be the first to tell you,Bob Wills is still the king
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:38 am
Good morning, WA2K, radio.

Hey, edgar. I found this song by Bob Wills, and I think my country cousins sang it.

The key of D? Shocked

DEEP WITHIN MY HEART LIES A MELODY
A SONG OF OLD SAN ANTONE
WHERE IN DREAMS I LIVE WITH A MEMORY BENEATH THE STARS ALL ALONE

ENCHANTMENT STRANGE AS THE MOON UP ABOVE
FOR THAT MOONLIT PASS THAT ONLY HE WOULD KNOW
STILL HEARS MY BROKEN SONG OF LOVE

MOON IN ALL YOUR SPLENDOR KNOWN ONLY TO MY HEART
CALL BACK MY ROSE , ROSE OF SAN ANTONE
LIPS SO SWEET AND TENDER LIKE PETALS FALLING APART
SPEAK ONCE AGAIN OF MY LOVE MY OWN

BROKEN SONG EMPTY WORDS I KNOW
STILL LIVE IN MY HEART ALL ALONE
FOR THAT MOONLIT PATH BY THE ALAMO
AND ROSE MY ROSE OF SAN ANTONE
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:53 am
on this date in 1954 CBS newsman Edward R. Murrow critically reviewed Wisconsin Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy's anti-Communism campaign on "See It Now."
He was the most famous newsman in broadcasting, but he spelled out the limitations of his trade. "Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world," he'd say, "is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach only from one end of the bar to the other."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:57 am
http://www.texasplayboys.net/images/Buscolor.jpg
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:29 am
Will Geer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name William Auge Ghere
Born March 9, 1902
Frankfort, Indiana
United States
Died 22 April 1978 at age 76
Los Angeles, California

Notable roles "Grandpa" Walton in The Waltons

Will Geer (born March 9, 1902 in Frankfort, Indiana - died 22 April 1978 in Los Angeles) was an American actor. Geer's real name was William Auge Ghere. He is best known for his portrayal of the character "Grandpa" Zebulon "Zeb" Walton, in the popular 1970s TV series The Waltons.

Geer was heavily influenced by his grandfather, who taught him the botanical names of the plants in his native Indiana. He started out to become a botanist, studying the subject and obtaining a master's degree from Columbia University. But he eventually succumbed to the allure of acting.

He began his career touring in tent shows and on river boats. He eventually made his way to Broadway, and in 1964 received a nomination for the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical for 110 in the Shade.

He was married to the actress Herta Ware, best known for her poignant performance as the wife of Jack Gilford in Cocoon. Geer and Ware had 3 children, including actress Ellen Geer. Although they eventually divorced they remained close. Ware also had a daughter, actress Melora Marshall, by another marriage.

Geer had an early romantic relationship with late noted gay activist Harry Hay.[citation needed]

Geer was also a social activist, touring government work camps in the 1930s with folk singers like Burl Ives and Woody Guthrie. In the 1950s he was blacklisted for refusing to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities. During that period, he built the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum in Topanga Canyon, California, which he and Herta Ware helped to found. He combined his acting and botanical careers at the Theatricum, by making sure that every plant mentioned in Shakespeare was grown there.

As Will Geer was dying on April 22, 1978, of a respiratory ailment at the age of 76, his family sang Guthrie's This Land is Your Land at his deathbed, and recited poems by Robert Frost. Geer was cremated, and his ashes buried at the Theatricum Botanicum in the "Shakespeare Garden."

Trivia

In the German dubbed version of The Waltons, the first name of Geer's character, Zeb Walton, was altered to Samuel "Sam" Walton because "Zeb" sounded too similar to "Sepp", a Bavarian short form of the name "Joseph", which was considered a cliché for an older man. The real Sam Walton was the founder of Wal-Mart.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:37 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:54 am
Bobby Fischer

Robert James "Bobby" Fischer (born March 9, 1943) is a United States-born chess Grandmaster and in 1972 became the only US-born chessplayer ever to win the World Chess Championship. In 1975 he officially resigned the title when FIDE, the international chess federation, refused to accept his conditions for a title defense. He is considered by many to be one of the greatest chess players of all time.

Fischer's victory over the Soviet world champion Boris Spassky in the "Match of the Century" not only sparked heightened international interest in chess, but was seen as a symbolic victory for the capitalist West. Particularly in the United States, Spassky was portrayed as the product of an impersonal, mechanical, and oppressive system of state control, while Fischer was depicted as a solitary genius who had heroically overcome the Soviets' dominance.

Fischer now lives as a recluse (the title of the popular film Searching for Bobby Fischer alludes to his legendary withdrawal from competition) in Iceland, and has also become known for his anti-Americanism, anti-imperialism, and antisemitism. However, Fischer's inflammatory statements have done little to diminish the professional and popular recognition of his singular achievements on the chessboard.

Early years

Robert James Fischer was born at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago, Illinois. His mother, Regina Wender, was a naturalized American citizen, of German Jewish[1] descent, who was born in Switzerland, raised in St. Louis, Missouri, and later became a teacher, registered nurse, and physician.[2] Fischer's father was listed on the birth certificate as Wender's first husband, Hans-Gerhardt Fischer, a German biophysicist; the couple married in 1933 in Moscow, U.S.S.R., where Wender was studying medicine at the First Moscow Medical Institute. However, a 2002 article by Peter Nicholas and Clea Benson of The Philadelphia Inquirer suggests that Paul Nemenyi, a Hungarian physicist of Jewish ancestry, may have been Fischer's biological father.[3] Gerhardt and Regina Fischer divorced in 1945 when Bobby was two years old, and he grew up with his mother and older sister, Joan. In 1948, the family moved to Mobile, Arizona, where Regina taught in an elementary school. The following year they moved to Brooklyn, New York, where Regina worked as an elementary school teacher and nurse.

In May 1949, the six-year-old Fischer learned how to play chess from instructions found in a chess set that his sister had bought at a candy store below their Brooklyn apartment. He saw his first chess book a month later. For over a year he played chess on his own. At age 7, he joined the Brooklyn Chess Club and was taught by its president, Carmine Nigro. When Fischer was 13, his mother asked John W. Collins to be his chess tutor. Collins had coached several top players, including future grandmasters Robert Byrne and William Lombardy. Fischer spent much time at Collins' house, and some have described Collins as a father figure for Fischer. Fischer attended Erasmus Hall High School together with Barbra Streisand[4], though he later dropped out. Many teachers remembered him as difficult. According to school records, he had an IQ of 184[5] and an incredibly retentive memory.

1956-1967

Fischer's first real triumph was winning the United States Junior Chess Championship in July 1956. In the same year, he played several brilliant games; his game against Donald Byrne, who later became an International Master, is often called "The Game of the Century".

In 1957, Fischer won the United States Open Chess Championship on tie-breaking points over Arthur Bisguier. Fischer was given entry into the invitational U.S. Championship. Many thought he was too weak, and predicted that he would finish last. Instead, he won, becoming in January 1958, at age 14, the youngest U.S. champion ever.

Fischer's victory qualified him to participate in the 1958 Portoroz Interzonal, the next step toward challenging the World Champion. The top six finishers in the Interzonal would qualify for the Candidates Tournament, but few thought the youngster had much chance of this. Again he surprised the pundits, tying for fifth place after a strong finish. This made Fischer the youngest person ever to qualify for the Candidates, and also earned him the title of Grandmaster, making him at that time the youngest grandmaster in history.

At the age of 16, Fischer finished a creditable equal fifth out of eight at the Candidates Tournament held in Bled/Zagreb/Belgrade, Yugoslavia in 1959. He scored 12.5-15.5 and was outclassed by tournament winner Mikhail Tal, who won all four of their individual games.

In 1961, Fischer started a 16-game match with frequent U.S. Champion Samuel Reshevsky, one of the world's strongest players. Despite Fischer's meteoric rise, the veteran Reshevsky was considered the favorite. After 11 games and a tie score (2 wins apiece with 7 draws) the match ended due to a dispute between Fischer and match organizer Jacqueline Piatigorsky.

In the next World Championship cycle, Fischer won the 1962 Stockholm Interzonal by 2.5 points, scoring 17.5-4.5, making him one of the favorites for the Candidates tournament in Curaçao. However, he had a disappointing tournament, finishing fourth out of eight with a 14-13 score. The result nonetheless established Fischer, at 19, as the strongest non-Soviet player in the world.

In 1962, Fischer said that he had "personal problems" and began to listen to various radio ministers in a search for answers. This is how he first came to listen to The World Tomorrow radio program with Herbert W. Armstrong and his son Garner Ted Armstrong; the Armstrongs' denomination, The Worldwide Church of God, predicted an imminent apocalypse. In late 1963, Fischer began tithing to the church. According to Fischer, he lived a bifurcated life, with a rational chess component and an enthusiastic religious component.

Following his failure in the 1962 Candidates, Fischer asserted that the Soviet players had a non-aggression pact and concentrated on playing against him. The top three finishers (Tigran Petrosian, Paul Keres and Efim Geller) indeed drew all their games among themselves at Curaçao, but opinions differ on whether this was prearranged; although it was confirmed by the high-ranking Soviet player Yuri Averbakh.[6]

Fischer therefore decided not to participate in the Amsterdam Interzonal in 1964, thus taking himself out of the 1966 World Championship cycle. He held to this decision even when FIDE changed the format of the eight-player Candidates Tournament from a round-robin to a series of knockout matches. (In the previous two cycles, FIDE had sought to address complaints of Soviet collusion by limiting the number of Soviet participants, an approach that Soviet chess players considered extremely unfair.)

In the next cycle, at the 1967 Sousse Interzonal, Fischer scored a phenomenal 8.5 points in the first 10 games. His observance of the Worldwide Church of God's sabbath was honored by the organizers, but deprived Fischer of several rest days, which led to a scheduling dispute. Fischer forfeited two games in protest and later withdrew, eliminating himself from the 1969 World Championship cycle.

At home, Fischer won all eight U.S. Championships that he competed in, beginning with the 1957-1958 championship and ending with the 1966-1967 championship. This string includes his 11-0 win in the 1963-1964 championship, the only perfect score in the history of the tournament, and one of only a handful of perfect scores ever in high-level chess tournaments.

Fischer represented the U.S.A. on top board with great distinction at four Olympiads (Leipzig 1960, Varna 1962, Havana 1966, and Siegen 1970). He was forced to attend school and had to miss the 1958 Olympiad, and he turned down further invitations to play in 1964, 1968, and 1972, after which he retired for 20 years.

The road to the world championship (1969-1972)

The 1969 U.S. Championship was also a zonal qualifier, with the top three finishers advancing to the Interzonal. Fischer, however, had sat out the U.S. Championship because of disagreements about the tournament's format and prize fund. To enable Fischer to compete for the title, Grandmaster Pál Benkő gave up his Interzonal place, for which the United States Chess Federation (USCF) paid him a modest $2,000; the other zonal participants waived their right to replace Benkő. This unusual arrangement was the work of Ed Edmondson, then the USCF's Executive Director.

Before the Interzonal, though, in March and April 1970, the world's best players competed in the USSR vs. Rest of the World match in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Fischer graciously agreed to allow Bent Larsen of Denmark to play first board for the Rest of the World team in light of Larsen's recent outstanding tournament results, even though Fischer had the higher Elo rating.[7] The USSR team won the match by a hair (20.5-19.5), but Fischer beat Tigran Petrosian, whom Boris Spassky had dethroned as world champion the previous year, 3-1, winning the first two games and drawing the last two.[8]

The Interzonal was held in Palma de Mallorca in November and December 1970. Fischer won it with a remarkable 18.5-4.5 score, 3.5 points ahead of Larsen, Efim Geller, and Robert Hübner, who tied for second at 15-8.[9] Fischer finished the tournament with seven consecutive wins (one by default).

Fischer continued his domination in the 1971 Candidates matches, defeating his opponents with a lopsided series of results unparalleled in chess history. He crushed both Mark Taimanov (USSR) and Larsen 6-0 (+6-0=0).[10] The latter result was particularly shocking: Larsen had played first board for the Rest of the World team ahead of Fischer just a year before, and at the Interzonal had in their game handed Fischer his only loss.

Only former World Champion Petrosian, Fischer's final opponent in the Candidates matches, was able to offer resistance. Petrosian unleashed a strong theoretical novelty in the first game and had Fischer on the ropes, but Fischer defended with his customary aplomb and even won the game. This gave Fischer a remarkable streak of 20 consecutive wins, the second longest winning streak in chess history after Steinitz's 25-game streak from 1873 to 1882.[11] Petrosian won decisively in the second game, finally snapping Fischer's winning streak. After three consecutive draws, however, Fischer swept the next four games to win the match 6.5-2.5 (+5=3-1). The final victory allowed Fischer to challenge World Champion Boris Spassky.

Match of the Century

Fischer's career-long stubbornness about match and tournament conditions was again seen in the run-up to his match with Spassky. Of the possible sites, Fischer preferred Yugoslavia, while Spassky wanted Iceland. For a time it appeared that the dispute would be resolved by splitting the match between the two locations, but that arrangement fell through. After that issue was resolved, Fischer refused to play unless the prize fund, which he considered inadequate, was doubled. London financier Jim Slater responded by donating an additional $US 125,000, which brought the prize fund to an unprecedented $250,000. Fischer finally agreed to play.

The match took place in Reykjavík, Iceland, from July through September 1972. Fischer lost the first two games in strange fashion: the first when he played a risky pawn-grab in a dead-drawn endgame, the second by forfeit when he refused to play the game in a dispute over playing conditions. Fischer would likely have forfeited the entire match, but Spassky, not wanting to win by default, yielded to Fischer's demands to move the next game to a back room, away from the cameras whose presence had upset Fischer. The rest of the match proceeded without incident. Fischer won seven of the next 19 games, losing only one and drawing eleven, to win the match 12.5-8.5 and become the 11th World Chess Champion. His winning strategy was mainly based upon avoidance of Spassky's pre-match preparation, by using a varied series of opening surprises.

Fischer's win was painted as a Cold War propaganda victory for the United States: the iconoclastic American almost single-handedly defeating the mighty Soviet chess establishment that had dominated world chess for the past quarter-century.

Fischer was also the (then) highest-rated player in history according to the Elo rating system. He had a rating of 2780 after beating Spassky, which was actually a slight decline from the record 2785 rating he had achieved after routing Taimanov, Larsen, and Petrosian the previous year.

"The Match of the Century" received front-page media coverage in the United States. With his victory, Fischer became an instant celebrity. He received numerous product endorsement offers (all of which he declined) and appeared on the covers of Life and Sports Illustrated. With American Olympic swimming champion Mark Spitz, he also appeared on a Bob Hope TV special.[12] Membership in the United States Chess Federation doubled in 1972[13] and peaked in 1974; in American chess, these years are commonly referred to as the "Fischer Boom."

Fischer gave the Worldwide Church of God $61,200 of his world championship prize money. However, 1972 was a disastrous year for the church, as prophecies by Herbert W. Armstrong were unfulfilled, and the church was rocked by revelations of a series of sex scandals involving Garner Ted Armstrong.[14] Fischer, who felt betrayed and swindled by the Worldwide Church of God, left the church and publicly denounced it.

Fischer-Karpov 1975

Fischer was scheduled to defend his title against challenger Anatoly Karpov in 1975. Fischer had played no tournament games since winning the title, and he laid down numerous conditions for the match. FIDE agreed to all of his demands but two, rejecting Fischer's demands on how the match would be won. Fischer claimed the usual system (24 games with the first player to get 12.5 points winning, or the champion retaining his title in the event of a 12-12 tie) encouraged the player in the lead to draw games, which he regarded as bad for chess. Fischer instead wanted a match of an unlimited number of games, with the first player to score ten wins winning the match, draws not counting. Many detractors called this proposal unrealistic and said it would turn the match into a test of stamina rather than skill. (For these critics, the "first to six wins" Karpov-Kasparov match in 1984, which was aborted after 48 games, would later serve as confirmation.) Fischer's most controversial demand was that if each player won nine games, the reigning champion (Fischer in this case) would retain his title. This meant that Fischer only needed to win nine games to retain the championship, while Karpov had to win by a 10-8 score. It was admitted that this gave Fischer less of an advantage than Soviet World Championships such as Spassky had demanded. Because FIDE would not agree to this proposal, Fischer resigned in a cable to FIDE president Max Euwe on June 27, 1974:

"As I made clear in my telegram to the FIDE delegates, the match conditions I proposed were non-negotiable. Mr. Cramer informs me that the rules of the winner being the first player to win ten games, draws not counting, unlimited number of games and if nine wins to nine match is drawn with champion regaining title and prize fund split equally were rejected by the FIDE delegates. By so doing FIDE has decided against my participating in the 1975 world chess championship. I therefore resign my FIDE world chess champion title. Sincerely, Bobby Fischer."
Fischer disappeared and did not play competitive chess for nearly 20 years. To this day, he claims that he is still the World Champion because he never lost a title match.

Disappearance and aftermath (1975 to present)

1975-1991

In 1982, Fischer published a pamphlet, "I Was Tortured in the Pasadena Jailhouse!", detailing his experiences following his arrest in 1981 after being mistaken for a wanted bank robber. Fischer alleged that the police treated him brutally. He was eventually charged with damaging prison property (a mattress).

The 14-page pamphlet ends with the signature: "Robert D. James (professionally known as Robert J. Fischer or Bobby Fischer, The World Chess Champion)." By this time Fischer had a Nevada driver's license and Social Security card with that name, the same one that appeared in the 1981 Pasadena police report.[15][16]

In 1984, Fischer wrote to the editors of the Encyclopedia Judaica, stating that he was not, and had never been, Jewish, and asking that his name be removed from the publication.[17] Encyclopedia Judaica complied with the request. [18]

Revenge Match of the 20th Century

After 20 years, Fischer emerged from isolation to challenge Spassky (then placed 96-102 on the rating list) to a "Revenge Match of the 20th Century" in 1992. This match took place in Sveti Stefan, FR Yugoslavia, in spite of a severe United Nations embargo that included sanctions on sporting events. Fischer demanded that the organizers bill the match as "The World Chess Championship", although Garry Kasparov was the recognized FIDE World Champion. The purse for this match was reported to be $US 5,000,000 with two-thirds to go to the winner. The U.S. Department of the Treasury had warned Fischer beforehand that his participation was illegal.[19] Following the match, the department obtained an arrest warrant for him although some dispute the legality of the Department's claim and question why others who broke the embargo have not been prosecuted.[20] Fischer won the match, 10 wins to 5, with 15 draws. Many grandmasters observing the match said that Fischer was past his prime. In the book Mortal Games, Garry Kasparov is quoted: "He is playing OK. Around 2600 or 2650. It wouldn't be close between us." He has not played any competitive games since.

Fischer insisted he was still the true world champion, and that all the games in the FIDE-sanctioned World Championship matches, involving Karpov, Korchnoi and Kasparov, had been pre-arranged.

Radio interviews

Fischer, whose mother and possible biological father Paul Nemenyi were both of Jewish descent, made occasional hostile comments toward Jews from at least the early 1960s. From the 1980s, however, antisemitism was a major theme of his public remarks. He denied the "Holocaust of the Jews," announced his desire to make "expos[ing] the Jews for the criminals they are [...] the murderers they are" his lifework, and argued that the United States is "a farce controlled by dirty, hook-nosed, circumcised Jew bastards." [21]

In 1999, he gave a call-in interview to a radio station in Budapest, Hungary, during which he described himself as the "victim of an international Jewish conspiracy." Fischer's sudden re-emergence was apparently triggered when some of his belongings, which had been stored in a Pasadena, California storage unit, were sold by the landlord, who claimed it was in response to nonpayment of rent. Fischer interpreted this as further evidence of a worldwide Jewish conspiracy perpetrated by "the Jew-controlled U.S. Government" to defame and destroy him .[22] In 2005, some of Fischer's belongings were auctioned on eBay. In 2006, Fischer claimed that his belongings in the storage unit were worth millions.[23]

Fischer participated in at least 33 such broadcasts between 1999 and 2005, mostly with radio stations in the Philippines, but also with stations in Iceland, Colombia, and Russia.

For some years Fischer lived in Budapest, where he lived with the Jewish Polgár family. He played Fischer Random Blitz as well as analyzed many games with Zsuzsa Polgar. He did not get along with her two younger sisters Judit and Zsofia after Zsofia agreed to give a simultaneous exhibition at the Budapest American club. He later lived in Japan. Zsofia in the televised interview also claims that Fischer could get along with Jewish individuals by simply saying that they were a good person but doing anything for America was a far greater crime in his view.

Radio interview after the September 11, 2001 attacks

Hours after the September 11, 2001 attacks Fischer was interviewed live[24] by Pablo Mercado on the Baguio City station of the Bombo Radyo network, shortly after midnight September 12, 2001 Philippines local time (or shortly after noon on September 11, 2001, New York time). Fischer commented on U.S and Israeli foreign policy that "nobody cares ... [that] the US and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians for years". Informed that "the White House and Pentagon have been attacked", he proclaimed "This is all wonderful news". Fischer stated "What goes around comes around even for the United States" and said that if the U.S. fails to change its foreign policy, it "has to be destroyed." After calling for President Bush's death, Fischer also stated he hoped that a Seven Days in May-type military coup d' etat would take over power in the U.S. and then execute "hundreds of thousands of American Jewish leaders", "arrest all the Jews" and "close all synagogues".

Subsequent to that interview, Fischer's "right to membership in the United States Chess Federation [was] cancelled" by a unanimous 7-0 decisionof the USCF Executive Board, taken on October 28 2001. In 2006, that decision was subsequently "vacated" by the same Board.

Detention in 2004 and 2005

Fischer being arrested in Japan in July 2004.After years of evading arrest, on July 13, 2004, Fischer was arrested at Narita International Airport in Narita, Japan near Tokyo for allegedly using a revoked U.S. passport while trying to board a Japan Airlines flight to Ninoy Aquino International Airport near Manila, Philippines. Fischer used a genuine passport that the United States Embassy in Bern, Switzerland issued to him in 1997. This passport was allegedly revoked in 2003, although Fischer denies this [1].

Fischer has been wanted by the United States government since his 1992 match with Spassky in the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. The match violated President George H. W. Bush's Executive Order 12810 that implemented United Nations sanctions against engaging in economic activities in Yugoslavia. Fischer's supporters have stated that other U.S. citizens were present at the match, specifically reporters, and were not prosecuted. They also have stated that although Japan and the United States have a mutually binding extradition treaty, Fischer should not have been deported, as violating a U.S. executive order is not a violation of Japanese law. Tokyo-based Canadian journalist and consultant John Bosnitch set up the "Committee to Free Bobby Fischer" after meeting Fischer at Narita airport and offering to assist him. Bosnitch was subsequently allowed to participate as a friend of the court by an Immigration Bureau panel handling Fischer's case. He then worked to block the Japanese Immigration Bureau's efforts to deport Fischer to the United States and coordinated the legal and public relations campaign to free Fischer until his eventual release.

According to the Agence France-Presse, Fischer renounced his United States citizenship. A month later, it was reported that Fischer was marrying Miyoko Watai, the President of the Japanese Chess Association, with whom he had been living since 2000. Fischer also appealed to United States Secretary of State Colin Powell to help him renounce his citizenship. Under pressure from the United States, Japan's Justice Minister rejected Fischer's appeal that he be allowed to remain in the country and ordered him deported.

Political asylum in Iceland

Seeking ways to evade deportation to the United States, Fischer wrote a letter to the government of Iceland in early January 2005 and requested an Icelandic citizenship. (Fischer also attempted, unsuccessfully, to receive Serbian citizenship. [citation needed]) Sympathetic to Fischer's plight - but reluctant to grant him the full benefits of citizenship - Icelandic authorities granted him an alien's passport. When this proved insufficient for the Japanese authorities, the Alþingi agreed unanimously to grant Fischer full citizenship in late March for humanitarian reasons, as they felt he was being unjustly treated by the U.S. and Japanese governments [2]. Meanwhile, the U.S. government filed charges of tax evasion against Fischer in an effort to prevent him from traveling to Iceland.

When Japanese authorities received confirmation of Fischer's new citizenship, they agreed to release him and allow him to fly to Iceland. Although Iceland has an extradition treaty with the United States, Icelandic law does not permit its own citizens to be extradited. Icelandic officials reiterated their belief that the United States government had singled Fischer out for his political statements.

Shortly before his departure to Iceland on March 23, 2005, Fischer and Bosnitch appeared briefly on the BBC World Service, via a telephone link to the Tokyo airport. Bosnitch stated that Fischer would never play traditional chess again. Fischer denounced President Bush as a criminal and Japan as a puppet of the United States. He also stated that he would appeal his case to the U.S. Supreme Court and said that he would not return to the US while Bush was in power. Upon his arrival in Reykjavík, Fischer was welcomed by a crowd.

In May 2005, a delegation, including Boris Spassky, visited Iceland with the intent of "drawing Fischer back to the chessboard." Fischer appeared interested in playing a Chess960 match against a "worthy opponent." Spassky said that he was not planning to play Fischer. [3]

On Dec. 10, 2006, Fischer phoned in and pointed out a clever winning combination which was missed in a chess game which was televised in Iceland.[4]

Contributions to chess theory

Fischer was renowned for his opening preparation, and made numerous contributions to chess opening theory. He was considered the greatest practitioner of the White side of the Closed Ruy Lopez and the Black side of the Najdorf Sicilian, as well as being one of the greatest theoreticians of the King's Indian Defense.

Fischer established the viability of the so-called "Poisoned Pawn" variation of the Najdorf Sicilian (1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 e6 7. f4 Qb6!?). Although this bold queen sortie, snatching a pawn at the expense of development, had been considered dubious, Fischer succeeded in proving its soundness, a claim supported by contemporary theory. Fischer won many games with this line; his only loss was in the 11th game of his 1972 match with Spassky.

In 1960, prompted by a painful loss to Spassky, Fischer wrote an article entitled "A Bust to the King's Gambit" for the first issue of Larry Evans' American Chess Quarterly, in which he recommended 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 d6. This variation has since become known as the Fischer Defense to the King's Gambit. After Fischer's article was published, the opening was seen even less frequently in master-level games.

Fischer revived the Exchange Variation of the Ruy Lopez at the Havana Olympiad 1966, and had great success with it, prompting many other top players to start playing this line.

Other contributions to chess

Fischer clock

In 1988, Fischer filed for U.S. Patent 4,884,255 for a new type of digital chess clock. Fischer's clock gave each player a fixed period of time at the start of the game and then added a small increment after each completed move. The Fischer clock soon became standard in most major chess tournaments. The patent expired in November 2001 because of overdue maintenance fees.

Fischer Random Chess

On June 19, 1996, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Fischer announced and advocated a variant of chess called Fischer Random Chess, also known as Chess960, that is intended to allow players to contest games based on their understanding of chess rather than their ability to memorize opening variations. Chess960 has gone on to be moderately popular.

Other Talents

Bobby Fischer is an expert at solving the Fifteen puzzle by Sam Loyd, provided that it is in a configuration that can be solved, and he has been timed to be able to solve it every time within 25 seconds. Fischer demonstrated this on November 8, 1972 on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

Fischer was also an expert at playing pinball machines.

In popular culture

Law & Order: Criminal Intent used his story as inspiration for the 2004-05 episode "Gone".
Story used in the major motion picture Searching for Bobby Fischer.
Sydney Band Lazy Susan have written a song about him on their 2002 album Long Lost
British Band Prefab Sprout mention them in their song "Cue Fanfare" on their 1984 album Swoon
British Band iLiKETRAiNS wrote two songs "A Rook House For Bobby" and "Citizen" about him on their EP "PROGRESS/REFORM"
Rap group Dilated Peoples released a song dissing Eminem titled Search 4 Bobby Fischer
The Saturday Night Live skit, The Spartan Cheerleaders, once featured the pair cheering at a high school Chess Tournament and referenced Fischer in a cheer.
"One thing's for certain, you ain't no Bobby Fischer. Bobby Fischer. Where is he? I don't know, I don't know.
Bobby Fischer. Where is he? I don't know, I don't know.
But one thing is for certain - Bobby Fischer's missing."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:03 am
Juliette Binoche

Born March 9, 1964 (age 43)
Paris, France
Other name(s) La Binoche

Academy Awards

Best Supporting Actress
1996 The English Patient

Juliette Binoche (born March 9, 1964) is a French Academy Award-winning actress.

Biography

Early life

Juliette Binoche was born in Paris on March 9 1964 to a sculptor father and an actress mother. At age 4 her parents were divorced and Binoche was dispatched to a boarding school with her sister Marion. She began acting in amateur stage productions, and at 17 she directed and starred in a student production of the Eugene Ionesco play, Le roi se meurt. The next year, she studied acting at the National Conservatory of Dramatic Arts of Paris. She found an agent through a friend, and joined a theatre troupe that toured France, Belgium and Switzerland under the pseudonym Juliette Adrienne.

After graduation, she followed her mother's footsteps and became a stage actress, occasionally taking bit parts in French feature films. Her first screen role was a small part in the 1983 TV film Dorothée, danseuse de corde by Jacques Fensten followed by a small part in the provincial TV film Fort bloque by Pierrick Guinnard. Binoche secured her first big screen appearance in Pascal Kané's Algeria-themed ',Liberty Belle. At this point Binoche decided to pursue a career in cinema.

1984 to 1991

Small roles in Les Nanas (1984) and Adieu blaireau (1985) led to more significant exposure in Jean-Luc Godard's Je Vous Salue, Marie and Jacques Doillon's La Vie de Famille which cast her as the teenage step-daughter of Sami Frey's character. This film was to set the theme and tone of the early career.

In 1985 Juliette Binoche secured the lead role in André Téchiné's Rendez-vous. The film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival that year, winning Best Director. In 1986 Binoche was nominated for her first César Award for Best Actress for the film. Binoche's next film was a role in Mon beau-frère a tué ma sœur by Jacques Rouffio. The film was a critical and commercial failure.

In 1986 Binoche starred opposite Michel Piccoli in Léos Carax's Mauvais Sang. The film was a critical and commercial success leading to Binoche's second César Award nomination.

In August 1986 she won the role of Tereza in Philip Kaufman's The Unbearable Lightness of Being based on the Milan Kundera novel. This was Binoche's first English-language role and was a worldwide success with critics and audiences alike.

After her international success Binoche decided to return to France rather than pursue an international career. In 1988 she filmed the lead in Pierre Pradinas's Un tour de manège (1989), a little-seen French film. Late in 1988 Binoche began work on Léos Carax's Les Amants du Pont-Neuf. The film was beset by problems and took three years to complete. When it was released in 1991 Les Amants du Pont-Neuf was a critical success. Binoche won a European Film Award for best actress as well as her third César Award nomination.

Juliette Binoche's early films saw her firmly established as a French star of some renown. The recurring themes of these films were of contemporary young women exploring their lives and their sexuality.

1992 to 2000

Following the long shoot of Les Amants du Pont-Neuf Binoche relocated to London for production of Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights (1992) and Damage (1992) which considerably developed her international reputation. For Damage Binoche received her fourth César Award nomination.

In 1993 Binoche appeared in Krzysztof Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs Bleu to much critical acclaim. The film premiered at the 1993 Venice Film Festival. The film also landed Binoche a César Award for Best Actress as well as a Golden Globe nomination.

Following this success Binoche took a short sabbatical during which she became mother of a son, Raphael.

In 1995 Binoche appeared in a big-budget adaptation of Jean Giono's Le Hussard sur le Toit directed by Jean-Paul Rappeneau. The film was a box-office success around the world and Binoche was again nominated for a César Award for Best Actress. This role as a romantic heroine was to color the direction of many of her roles in the late 1990s.

In 1996 Binoche appeared in A Couch in New York by Chantal Akerman. The film was a flop, but Binoche had another film that year to pin her hopes on. The English Patient, based on the acclaimed novel and directed by Anthony Minghella, was a worldwide hit, garnering nine Academy Awards including best supporting actress for Juliette Binoche.

After this international hit Binoche returned to France where she reteamed with André Téchiné for Alice et Martin (1998) followed in 1999 by Les Enfants du Siècle in which Binoche played the role of 19th-century French writer George Sand.

Late in 1999 Binoche gave birth to a second child, Hana.

2000 saw Binoche appear in four successful but different roles. Firstly was La Veuve de Saint-Pierre (2000) by Patrice Leconte which saw Binoche nominated for a César Award for best actress.

Next she appeared in Michael Haneke's Code Inconnu', (2000), a film which was made following Binoche's approach to the Austrian director.

2000 was finished with a double success in the US. Binoche made her Broadway debut in Harold Pinter's Betrayal for which she was nominated for a Tony Award.

Back on screen Binoche was the heroine of the Lasse Hallstrom film Chocolat (2000) for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress, a Bafta for Best Actress and won a European Film Award for Best Actress.

The 1990s saw Juliette Binoche rise to become a major European star around the world, specializing in intelligent and assured portrayals of women in love.

2001 to 2006

Following the success of Chocolat, Juliette Binoche returned to France for an unlikely role. Décalage Horaire (2002) opposite Jean Reno saw Binoche play a ditzy beautician. The film was a box-office hit in France and saw Binoche once again nominated for a César Award for best actress.

Décalage Horaire was not to form the shape of Binoche's subsequent roles. Following instead from Code Inconnu, which tackled racism, Binoche went to South Africa to film John Boorman's In My Country (2004) opposite Samuel L. Jackson.

Next came a reteaming with Michael Haneke for Caché in (2005). The film was an immediate success, winning best director at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival. Binoche was nominated for a European Film Award for best actress for her role. Binoche's next film was Bee Season with Richard Gere.

Mary (2005) saw Binoche collaborate with Abel Ferrara for an investigation of modern faith and Mary Magdalene's position in the Catholic Church. The film was an immediate success, winning the Grand Prix at the 2005 Venice Film Festival.

2006 saw Binoche take part in the portmanteau work Paris, je t'aime appearing in a section directed by Nobuhiro Suwa. September 2006 saw Binoche at the Venice Film Festival to launch Quelques jours en septembre', by Santiago Amigorena. Later in the month she travelled to the Toronto Film Festival for the premiere of Breaking and Entering, her second film with Anthony Minghella in the director's chair.

The 2000s have seen Binoche consolidate her position as that of a major French and international star while she found time to appear in works by some of cinema's great mavericks. Rather than continuing to explore the themes of women in love in romantic epics, Binoche has instead focused on political and social issues in her films.

2007 onwards

2007 will see Binoche appear in Ballon Rouge by the Chinese director Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Dan in Real Life with Steve Carrel, Paris by Cédric Klapisch. She is also due to film Désengagement by Amos Gitai, Souvenirs du Valois by Olivier Assayas and Rithy Panh's Un Barrage Contre le Pacifique.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:05 am
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Drink 'till she's cute, but stop before the wedding

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

I'm not cheap, but I am on special this week

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

I intend to live forever - so far, so good

I love defenseless animals, especially in a good gravy

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

If you ain't makin' waves, you ain't kickin' hard enough!

Mental backup in progress - Do Not Disturb!

Mind Like A Steel Trap - Rusty And Illegal In 37 States

Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.

Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Televangelists: The Pro Wrestlers of religion.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you.

If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ...coincidence?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Many people quit looking for work when they find a job.

Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.

When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

I poured Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.

Laughing stock: cattle with a sense of humor.

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Corduroy pillows: They're making headlines!

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Excuses are like asses everyone's got em and they all stink.

I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away... so does having no medical insurance.

I really think the Mars Rover is scouting for the next Wal-Mart Superstore site.

Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.

What we could really use is the separation of Bush and state.

Never play strip poker with a nudist, they have nothing to lose.

If you can't read this, you're illiterate.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

He who hesitates is boss.

As they say at the Planned Parenthood Clinic, better late than never
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:36 am
ONE TOO MANY MORNINGS

Words and Music by Bob Dylan

Down the street the dogs are barkin'
And the day is a-gettin' dark.
As the night comes in a-fallin',
The dogs 'll lose their bark.
An' the silent night will shatter