WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:56 am
Hey, folks. What a great array of talent we have here.

First, allow me to thank dys for his report on Edward R. and his great picture of the Texas Playboys. (Bob any kin to you, cowboy?)

Then, of course, the hawkman and his fantastic bio's. I think we should print out BostonBob's list and magnetize it on our little fridge in the studio of WA2K radio. Thanks again, Bob.

edgar, boy have I had one of those "one too many mornings". Thanks Texas.

Until our Raggedy arrives, here is a poem showing how chess is linked to the other arts.

Chess Poem
by C. A. Escoffery

The Pawn

The lowly pawn,
Goes on and on,
Seeking a surrender;
The opponent's pawn
Meanwhile comes on,
To try and clip her fender.

Cautiously forward,
Yet steadily onward,
In slowly, measured feet,
The pawn's aware
Of danger there,
Yet never will retreat.

Unless, of course,
When things get worse,
She tries a "pas dansant,"
Then a pawn nearby
Will obliquely sigh
And apply the "en passant."

She may, some day,
Go all the way,
Her forward file now clean,
And in fair play
Rise up and say,
"The Pawn becomes a Queen!"

The Knight

The gallant knight pursues the fight
With pseudo-octagonal vectors:
On stalwart steed, he doth proceed
To leap o'er nearby sectors.
And once he's got a vantage spot,
He'll settle in and mortify.
He may be fickle, but let a pawn tickle:
You'll see the horse fly!

The Bishop

While diagonally moving on a slant of his own,
He may lurk in a corner and pounce whilst you moan!
Bishops come in two colors, black and white;
Although clergy, they're keen for a fight,
Together, they're a steely bishop double:
So be warned: they can really dish up trouble!

The Rook

Learning his moves is really no hassle
Except that you need to know how to castle.
The rook may be upright, just like a tower,
And, like the Queen, he may make us cower.
Though he never cuts corners, don't let him spook you.
Just be on your guard, or else he may rook you.

The Queen

La donna è mobile (she sure gets around!)
And in midst of the battle she'll generally be found.
Yet her greatest ambition is that brilliant device
Known to most players as the Queen Sacrifice,
Which is really not difficult, so I hear tell,
But whenever I try it my game goes to . . . Well,
We can't all be Masters, but maybe someday
I'll have studied and practiced and learned how to play!

The King

No praise for the king: Why he's just a square
Who is sheltered and pampered through most of the game;
If his men win, he grabs the full share,
But just let them lose and who gets the blame? !

The Board

I am played upon and prayed upon,
By players proving mental brawn,
Who often get into such a state
That they start to argue and debate,
Whence I, usually in a drawer holed up,
Will then (like Arab tents) just silently fold up.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:31 pm
Good Day, WA2K.

Faces to match Bob's bios:

http://www.nndb.com/people/929/000043800/geer.jpghttp://literature.sdsu.edu/juliaraul.jpg
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/fischer_cp_6088312.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/Paris/Metro/9384/actors/images/binoche.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
Well, folks, there's our Raggedy. Great photo's, PA, and we are looking at Will, Raul, Bobby, and Juliette. Thanks, gal. A great array as usual.

I was stunned to discover that Johnny Depp did a song from Chocolat and also played the guitar, but Letty cannot find the lyrics, so let's go with this old one in remembrance of Raul.

The Addams Family

They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum
Where people come to see 'em
They really are a scream
The Addams Family.

(Neat)
(Sweet)
(Petite)

So get a witches shawl on
A broomstick you can crawl on
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:15 pm
Dandelion
The Rolling Stones

[Writtten by Jagger and Richards]

Prince or pauper, beggar man or thing
Play the game with ev'ry flow'r you bring
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

One o'clock, two o'clock,
Three o'clock, four o'clock chimes
Dandelions don't care about the time
Blow away dandelion, blow away dandelion

Tho' you're older now its just the same
You can play this dandelion game
When you're finished with your childlike prayers
Well, you know you should wear it

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailors lives
Rich man, poor man
Beautiful daughters, wives

Little girls, and boys come out to play
Bring your dandelions to blow away
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:25 pm
Ah, edgar. I love that song. So often, as kids, we would blow the tiny spores from the dandelion and watch them travel with the wind. Even though they are considered to be weeds, they are actually quite lovely when in bloom.

From Sir Elton John

See my eyes and I see my arms
The seagulls say you've gone
It was just a game of let's pretend
And I whistle to the waves that lend me tears

Purple clouds, golden rain
Yesterday has gone
And a dandelion dies in the wind

If you're quick enough to rise
With the sleep still in your eyes
You'll see the shadow of the sun above my mind
I know that only you can help me now

Yesterday has gone

But a dandelion sighs
And it tries to tell the wind
That crying's not a bad thing
Worrying is a sin

If they sent a cloud from heaven
I would ride into the skies
To escape all of my troubles
And to cast away your lies

Purple rains have turn to gold
The clouds of yesterday

I see my eyes and I see my arms
The seagulls say you've gone
It was just a game of let's pretend
And I whistle to the waves that lend me tears

Yesterday has gone
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:17 am
Barry Fitzgerald
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barry Fitzgerald (March 10, 1888 - January 14, 1961) was an Academy Award winning Irish actor. Born William Joseph Shields in Dublin, he joined the Abbey Theatre, and starred in such plays as Sean O'Casey's Juno and the Paycock, a role he recreated for Alfred Hitchcock in his screen debut in 1930. He is the older brother of Irish actor Arthur Shields. Fitzgerald was an avid golfer, and known to be a "hacker," Fitzgerald could easily lull opponents into small "bets" and once on the putting green would relieve them of their money. His small stature did nothing to aid in the distance required to be a truly good golfer, but it was his keen eye for the greens that kept others from wagering too great a bet once the tad of a man had a putter in his hand. He once shared his "loot" with a caddie who provided him greater insight into the putting greens of his own country club in Woodland Hills, California.

Fitzgerald went to Hollywood to star in another O'Casey work, The Plough And The Stars, directed by John Ford. He had a successful Hollywood career in such films as The Long Voyage Home, How Green Was My Valley, And Then There Were None and The Quiet Man. He performed a feat never otherwise done in the history of the Academy Awards when he was nominated for both the Academy Award for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for the same performance, in 1944's Going My Way. He won the Supporting Actor Oscar, and later broke the head off it while practicing his golf swing.

Fitzgerald has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, for movies at 6220 Hollywood Blvd. and for television at 7001 Hollywood Blvd.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:22 am
Chuck Norris

Birth name Carlos Ray Norris
Born March 10, 1940 (age 66)
Ryan, Oklahoma
Notable roles Cordell Walker in Walker, Texas Ranger

Carlos Ray "Chuck" Norris (born on 10 March 1940) is an American martial artist, action star, Hollywood actor, and recently, an internet phenomenon, who is best known for playing Cordell Walker on Walker, Texas Ranger.

Biography

A native of Ryan, Oklahoma, Norris has two younger brothers, Wieland (deceased) and Aaron (a Hollywood producer).

Norris was born to an alcoholic father, half Irish and half Cherokee. Norris's mother is also half Irish and half Cherokee.[1] Norris is very proud of his Native American heritage, and frequently referred to his origins on his hit show Walker, Texas Ranger.

When Norris was 10, his parents divorced,[2] and he later relocated to Prairie Village, Kansas and then Torrance, California with his mother and brothers.[3] Norris describes his childhood as downbeat. He was nonathletic, shy, and scholastically mediocre. Other children taunted him about his mixed ethnicity, and Norris daydreamed about beating up his tormentors. Norris mentioned in his autobiography that his father had a very serious problem with drinking and "wasn't there" a lot for him growing up. Norris admitted that he loved his father but did not like him. However, he professed that he only felt pity for the man because "that was just how he was, and he missed so much."

Chuck Norris finished high school and soon married his girlfriend, Diane Holechek. In 1958 Norris joined the United States Air Force as an Air Policeman and was sent to Osan Air Base, South Korea. It was in South Korea that Norris acquired the nickname Chuck and began his training in Tang Soo Do (tangsudo), an interest that would lead to black belts in that art, as well as Taekwondo, and Shito ryu Karate, and a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu;[citation needed] and the founding of the Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way") form and the education associations United Fighting Arts Federation and "KickStart", formerly "Kick Drugs Out of America", a middle school - and high school - based program intended to give at-risk children a focus point in life through the martial arts. When he returned to the United States he continued to act as an AP at March Air Force Base California. Norris was discharged in August of 1962. He worked for the Northrop Corporation and opened a chain of karate schools, which Chad McQueen, Steve McQueen's son, attended.[3] Norris made history in 1997 when he was the first Westerner in the documented history of Taekwondo to be given the rank of 8th Degree Black Belt Grand Master.[4] On July 1, 2000 he was presented the Golden Lifetime Achievement Award by the World Karate Union Hall of Fame.

Currently, Norris lives in Dallas and owns a ranch between Navasota, Texas and Anderson, Texas. He works for KickStart, which is located in Dallas and Houston.

Rise to fame

Norris' entrance into tournament karate began on a losing note. He was defeated in his first two tournaments, dropping decisions to Joe Lewis and Allan Steen. However, by 1967, Norris began to demonstrate his skill and scored victories over the likes of Joe Lewis, Skipper Mullins, Arnold Urquidez, Victor Moore, Ron Marchini, and Steve Sanders. In early 1968, Norris suffered the fifth and last loss of his career, losing an upset decision to Louis Delgado. However, on November 24, 1968, he avenged his defeat to Delgado and in the process won the Professional Middleweight Karate champion (non-contact) title, which he held for six consecutive years.[5] In 1969, he won Karate's triple crown for the most tournament wins of the year, and the fighter of the year award by Black Belt Magazine. It was also in 1969 that Norris made his acting debut, in the Dean Martin movie The Wrecking Crew.

In 1970, his younger brother Weiland was killed in Vietnam. Norris later dedicated his Missing in Action films to his brother's memory.

At a martial arts demonstration in Long Beach, Norris met the soon-to-be famous martial artist Bruce Lee. In 1972, he acted as Bruce Lee's nemesis in the movie Way of the Dragon (also known as Return of the Dragon), which is widely credited with launching his way into stardom. In Asia, he is still known primarily for this role.

In 1974, McQueen encouraged him to begin acting classes at MGM. Chuck Norris retired with a karate record of 65-5, having avenged all of his defeats.

Norris' first starring role was 1977's Breaker! Breaker!, and subsequent films such as The Octagon (1980), An Eye for an Eye (1981), and Lone Wolf McQuade proved his increasing box office bankability. In 1984, Norris starred in Missing in Action, the first of a series of POW rescue fantasies produced by Israeli cousins Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus and released under their Cannon Films banner. Also in that year, he was offered the part of the sensei of the Kobra Kai dojo in the movie The Karate Kid, but declined the part. He reportedly did not want to take part in depicting martial artists in an unfavorable light. However, Norris disputes this story.[6] On a February 9, 2006 episode of Adam Corolla's radio show, Norris said that he was never offered the role. Norris noted that he was already playing leading roles by the time The Karate Kid was in production.

Over the next four years, Norris became Cannon's most prominent star, appearing in eight films, including Code of Silence, The Delta Force, and Firewalker, in which he co-starred with Academy Award winner Louis Gossett, Jr.. Many of the afformentioned films were produced by Chuck Norris's brother Aaron, as were several episodes of Walker Texas Ranger.

In 1986, he was involved in the production of the Ruby Spears cartoon Karate Kommandos.

Walker, Texas Ranger

By the close of the 1980s, Cannon Films had faded from prominence, and Norris' star appeal seemed to go with it. He reprised his Delta Force role for MGM, which had acquired the Cannon library after the latter's Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Norris went on to make several more largely ignored films before making a transition to television. In 1993, he began shooting the series Walker, Texas Ranger, which lasted eight years on CBS and continued in heavy syndication on other channels.

On October 16, 2005, CBS Premiered the Sunday night "Movie of the Week" Walker, Texas Ranger: Trial By Fire. The production was a continuation of the series, and not scripted to be a reunion movie. Norris reprised his role as Cordell Walker for the movie. He has stated that future Walker, Texas Ranger "Movie of the Week" projects are expected. This was severely impaired by CBS' 2006-2007 season decision to no longer regularly schedule MOWs on Sunday night.

Family

In 1963, his first child with Holechek, a son named Mike, was born. A daughter, Dina, was born in 1964, and a second son, Eric, followed in 1965. After 30 years of marriage, Norris and Holechek divorced in 1988. He married again in 1998, this time to former model Gena O'Kelley, and she delivered twins in 2001: Dakota Alan Norris, a boy, and Danilee Kelly Norris, a girl. Norris has always been a very loving family man; it was noted in People that his adult sons still hug and kiss him goodbye. "It's great my boys aren't afraid to show love," Norris said. "Nothing can buy that." Norris's son, Mike, said of his father, "Dad never had a lot of love growing up, but he has given me and my brother all that he should have had in multiples." However, in the same interview Mike said that he still wouldn't want to mess with his dad.

Faith

Now an outspoken Christian, Chuck Norris is the author of several Christian books, such as The Justice Riders. He has also been in a few TV commercials promoting Bible study and prayer in public schools, in addition to efforts to reduce drug use.

Additionally, the conservative blog WorldNetDaily gave Norris a column in 2006, and he used part of his first piece to express his belief that evolution doesn't exist, as well as explaining "if your soul needs healing, the prescription you need is (...) Jesus' blood."[7]

Politics
Chuck Norris is a political conservative, often championing values shared by the Republican Party. Equally, Norris was named one of President George W. Bush's favorite actors, and was invited to his inaugural ball in 2001.

Since 1988, Norris has donated over $32,000 to Republican candidates and organizations.[8]

In 2006, he began penning a column for the conservative blog WorldNetDaily, and in his columns has expressed his beliefs that, among other things, evolution doesn't exist,[9] those who are troubled should turn to Christ and is quoted as saying "true patriots" don't stay clear of discussing religion and politics.[10] In addition, Norris also speaks on behalf of organizations advocating prayer in public schools.

On January 26, 2007, Norris filled in for Sean Hannity as a co-host on the popular Fox News Channel debate program Hannity & Colmes alongside Alan Colmes.

Chun Kuk Do
Main article: Chun Kuk Do

Chuck Norris in 1976Chuck Norris created the martial art Chun Kuk Do, which is based primarily on Tang Soo Do and includes elements from every combat style Chuck knows. Like many other martial arts Chun Kuk Do includes a code of honor and rules to live by. These rules are from Chuck Norris' personal code. They are:

I will develop myself to the maximum of my potential in all ways.
I will forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.
I will always be in a positive frame of mind and convey this feeling to every person that I meet.
I will continually work at developing love, happiness and loyalty in my family and acknowledge that no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.
If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.
I will give so much time to the improvement of myself that I will have no time to criticize others.
I will always be as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
I will maintain an attitude of open-mindedness toward another person's viewpoint while still holding fast to that which I know to be true and honest.
I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.
I will always remain loyal to God, my country, family and my friends.
I will remain highly goal-oriented throughout my life because that positive attitude helps my family, my country, and myself.

Popular culture
Norris regained popularity as a cult icon during the early 2000s, especially on the Internet. Among the more high-profile parodies and references are these instances:

In 2004, Late Night with Conan O'Brien began a recurring sketch in which O'Brien would pull a "Walker:Texas Ranger Lever" next to his desk, which would cause a brief, out-of-context clip from Walker: Texas Ranger to play. This became one of the more popular segments on O'Brien's show, and even led to a guest appearance by Norris himself, who pulled his own "Conan O'Brien Lever" to play a clip of Norris beating up O'Brien. This segment has been credited as jump-starting the Norris craze and leading to enough interest to produce a Walker, Texas Ranger TV movie.
In late 2005, Norris became the object of an internet phenomenon known as Chuck Norris Facts, which document fictional, often absurdly heroic feats and characteristics about Norris himself. The phenomenon originally started in the "Vin Diesel Fact Generator", and Chuck Norris Facts were created as a byproduct, often using the same facts featured in the Vin Diesel Fact Generator. With time, Chuck Norris Facts became wildly popular, more so than the original Vin Diesel Fact Generator. Norris has written his own response to the parody on his website, stating that he does not feel offended by them, and finds some of them funny.[11] Recently, on a show called "The Best Damn Sports Show, Period," he commented on 10 of them, with his favorite being: "They once tried to carve Chuck Norris's face into Mount Rushmore, but the granite wasn't hard enough for his beard."[12]
Rode out in a convertible on The Price is Right $1,000,000 Spectacular in 2003 to wish Bob Barker a happy 80th birthday. He also helped a contestant win the convertible playing the Lucky $even game. Norris had instructed Bob Barker in karate for years.
Adult Swim, a late night programming block on Cartoon Network, began airing Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos in mid-2006, in response to Norris's new internet popularity. The time slot was gradually (and discreetly) replaced with other Cartoon Network programs later in the year, and currently, no television network is known to carry the program.
Norris was parodied in a Saturday Night Live music video spoof entitled "Young Chuck Norris", aired January 21, 2006.
Chuck Norris sponsors the infomercial, Total Gym Fitness, which usually airs in the late night or early morning hours.
During the March 10, 2006 show of ESPN's Pardon the Interruption, numerous references were made to Norris on his birthday, including all of the cut-out heads on the set, which are usually of current sports stars, being replaced with Chuck Norris heads. Also, several humorous comments in reference to Chuck Norris were made by co-host, Tony Kornheiser, in a similar tone to that featured on the Chuck Norris Facts website.
Norris served as a guest referee at the World Wrestling Federation's Survivor Series 1994 for the casket match between The Undertaker and the late Yokozuna. A similar match had taken place at Royal Rumble 1994 where ten other wrestlers beat down The Undertaker. Norris was called upon to ensure a similar situation didn't take place. As guest referee, he kicked Jeff Jarrett in the stomach.
Norris appeared as himself on an episode of Yes, Dear, where he shadows one of the main characters (Jimmy) to understand the life of a security guard.
He had a cameo role in the movie Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story as a judge at a dodgeball tournament.
Norris appeared in the internet meme The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.
Chuck Norris also starred in his own Atari 2600 videogame, Chuck Norris Superkicks.[13]
Chuck Norris also appears in Maddox (real name George Ouzounian)'s book: Alphabet of Manliness under the letter N.
In the video game magazine Nintendo Power, Volume 203's Pulse section featured many references to Chuck Norris. He has since become a regular reference, along with Mr. T.
Chuck Norris was briefly the top contender in a poll for naming a new bridge, Northern M0 Danube bridge, in Budapest, Hungary.
Norris now has a regular column on WorldNetDaily, sharing his 'musings about faith, family, freedom, country, loyalty - maybe even kickboxing.'
Near the end of the film Epic Movie, one of the characters says "Chuck Norris Rules!"
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:37 am
Sharon Stone

Birth name Sharon Vonne Stone
Born March 10, 1958 (age 49)
Meadville, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Spouse(s) George Englund Jr.
Michael Greenburg (1984-1987)
Phil Bronstein (1998-2004)
Notable roles Catherine Tramell in Basic Instinct
Academy Awards

Nominated: Best Actress
1995 Casino
Emmy Awards

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
2003 The Practice
Golden Globe Awards

Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama
1996 Casino

Sharon Vonne Stone (born March 10, 1958) is an Academy Award nominated, Golden Globe and Emmy winning American actress, producer, and former fashion model. She came to international attention for her performance in the 1992 Hollywood blockbuster film Basic Instinct.

Early life

Stone was born in Meadville, Pennsylvania, located between Pittsburgh and Erie, Pennsylvania. The second of four children, she is the daughter of Joe and Dorothy Stone, blue-collar workers with, reportedly, ancestral roots in Galway, Ireland.

Stone flunked out of Saegertown High School in Saegertown, Pennsylvania. She is said to have been an obnoxious and rebellious child. She has described herself as "a nerdy, ugly duckling who sat in the back of the closet with a flashlight, and a set of C cell batteries. I was never a kid. I walked and talked at 10 months. I started school in the second grade when I was five, a real weird, academically driven kid, not at all interested in being social. Recess was a drag until I realized I didn't have to play, that I could lean up against a wall and read." Most of the kids disliked her because she was standoffish and did not play children's games. One day on the playground she announced, "I am the new Marilyn Monroe." Her mother once said: "Sharon has been posing from the day she arrived. She came out posing."

As a young woman, her IQ was tested and rated at a high level of 154 points.[1] After skipping a grade in school, she was involuntarily transferred from Saegertown High School to Edinboro University in Pennsylvania, enrolling at the age of fifteen years.

Career

1970s

Because she was very self-conscious of her looks, to the point that one biographer said she suffered from "a textbook case of body dysmorphic disorder,"[citation needed] her uncle bribed her with US$100 to enter a local beauty contest in order to improve her self-esteem. She entered the contest because she needed the money to help pay her college tuition. She lost the contest, but one of the judges encouraged her to enter the Miss Pennsylvania contest, which she declined. Instead, she entered the county contest and won the title of Miss Crawford County in Meadville. One of the pageant judges said she should quit school and move to New York to become a fashion model. When her mother heard this, she agreed, and, in 1977 Stone left Meadville, moving in with an aunt in New Jersey. Within four days of her arrival in New Jersey, she was signed by Ford Modeling Agency in New York. After signing with Ford, Stone spent a few years modeling, and appeared in TV commercials for Burger King, Clairol and Maybelline, but she did not enjoy her work.

1980-1990

While living in Europe she decided to quit modeling and become an actress. "So I packed my bags, moved back to New York, and stood in line to be an extra in a Woody Allen movie," she later recalled. She was cast for a brief but memorable role in Allen's Stardust Memories (1980), and then had a speaking part a year later in the horror movie Deadly Blessing (1981), which was a big box-office success. When French director Claude Lelouch saw Stone in Stardust Memories he was so impressed that he cast her in Les Uns et Les Autres (1982), starring James Caan. She was only on screen for two minutes, and did not appear in the credits.

Her next role was in Irreconcilable Differences (1984), starring Ryan O'Neal, Shelley Long, and a young Drew Barrymore. Stone plays a starlet who breaks up the marriage of a successful director and his screenwriter wife. The story was based on the real-life experience of director Peter Bogdanovich, his set designer wife Polly Platt, and Cybill Shepherd, who as a young actress starred in Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show (1971). The highlight of her performance is when her cocaine addict character plays Scarlett O'Hara in a musical pitched as a remake of Gone with the Wind. Later that year, she took a part on Magnum, P.I., the highest-rated television show at the time.

Throughout the rest of the 1980s she appeared in King Solomon's Mines (1985), and Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (1987), both of which have become cult classics in recent years.

She also played the wife of Steven Seagal's character in Above the Law (1988).

1990-2004

Her appearance in Total Recall (1990) with Arnold Schwarzenegger gave her career a much needed jolt. To coincide with the movie's release, she posed nude for Playboy magazine, showing off the buff body she developed in preparation for the movie (she pumped iron and learned Tae Kwon Do). She said she posed for the magazine because she needed the money. "I had just remodeled my house. I was broke. I needed the bread." In 1999, she was rated among the 25 sexiest stars of the century by Playboy.

While her memorable role in the Schwarzenegger movie should have led to other important job offers, her career took a considerable dip for the next two years. She worked often and worked hard (five movies in two years), but the movies were low budget productions that few people saw.

The role that made her a star was that of Catherine Tramell, a brilliant, cocaine-snorting, bisexual, mind game-playing serial killer in the sexually-charged Basic Instinct (1992). Stone went to considerable trouble to obtain the part for which she was far from first choice. Stone had to wait and actually turned down offers for the mere prospect to play Catherine Tramell (the part was offered to 13 other actresses before being offered to Stone). Several better known actresses of the time such as Geena Davis, Michelle Pfeiffer, Meg Ryan and Julia Roberts turned down the part mostly because of the nudity required. In the movie's most notorious scene, Tramell is being questioned by the police and she crosses and uncrosses her legs revealing the fact she was not wearing any underwear. When seeing her own vulva in the leg-crossing scene[2] during a screening of the film, she went into the projection booth and slapped director Paul Verhoeven. "I knew that we were going to do this leg-crossing thing and I knew that we were going to allude to the concept that I was nude, but I did not think that you would see my vagina in the scene," she said. "Later, when I saw it in the screening I was shocked. I think seeing it in a room full of strangers was so disrespectful and so shocking, so I went into the booth and slapped him and left."[3][4] Stone claims to have been tricked into the stunt and considered a lawsuit.

Director Paul Verhoeven reportedly told her to take her panties off because they were visible through her dress, when in fact he had a camera filming between her legs and did not tell her.[5] Later she admitted that the bold act helped make the movie the number one box office hit of the year. That year, she was rated by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.

In 1995, Empire magazine chose her as one of the 100 sexiest stars in film history. In October 1997, she was ranked among the top 100 movie stars of all time by Empire magazine.

In 1996, she received a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Dramatic Motion Picture for her role as "Ginger" in Martin Scorsese's Casino (1995). Later that year, she also earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for the role.

In 2003, she appeared in three episodes from the 8th season of The Practice as Sheila Carlisle. For her performances, she received an Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series.

2004-present

Stone attempted a return to the mainstream with a role in the film Catwoman (2004); however, the film was a commercial and critical flop. Her resemblance to actress Joanna Cassidy, who played Margaret Chenowith on HBO's hit Six Feet Under, led some viewers to think that Stone made frequent cameo appearances on the show.[6]

After years of litigation, Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction was released on March 31, 2006. By Sunday, April 2, 2006, after earning $3,200,000 in its debut weekend, the movie was declared a bomb.[7] Much of the cause of the delay in releasing the film was Stone's dispute with the filmmakers over the amount of nudity in the movie: she wanted a lot, and they wanted much much less. An orgy scene was cut in order to achieve the R MPAA rating for the U.S. release; the controversial scene remained in the UK version of the film. Stone felt that she is performing the duties of an "artist", and told an interviewer that "We are in a time of odd repression and if a popcorn movie allows us to create a platform for discussion, wouldn't that be great?"[8] Stone has said that she would love to direct and act in a third Basic Instinct film.

Stone's subsequent film role is in the drama Alpha Dog, playing Olivia Mazursky, the mother of a real-life murder victim; Stone wore a fatsuit for the role to better reflect her character's struggles with her weight.[9]

In February 2007 Stone found her role as a depressed and taciturn woman in her latest film When a Man Falls in the Forest, strangely uplifting, as it challenged what she called "Prozac society." "It was a watershed experience," said the 48-year-old actress. "I think that we live in a... Prozac society where we're always told we're supposed to have this kind of equilibrium of emotion. We have all these assignments about how we're supposed to feel about something." [10]

Personal life

Charity work & travels

Stone lives in Beverly Hills, California, and owns a ranch in New Zealand. In March 2006, Stone traveled to Israel to promote peace in the Middle East through a press conference with Nobel Peace Prize winner Shimon Peres.[11]

On January 28, 2005, Sharon Stone helped raise $1 million in five minutes for mosquito nets in Tanzania [12], turning a panel on African poverty into an impromptu fund-raiser at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. Many observers including UNICEF criticized her actions by claiming that Stone had reacted instinctively to the moving words of Tanzanian President Benjamin Mkapa, because she had not done her research on the causes, consequences and methods of preventing malaria; if she had done so, she would have found out that most African governments already distribute free bed nets through public hospitals.

Of the $1 million pledged, only $250,000 was actually raised. In order to fulfill the promise to send $1 million worth of bed nets to Tanzania, UNICEF contributed $750,000. This diverted funds from other UNICEF projects. According to Xavier Sala-i-Martín, officials are largely unaware as to what happened with the bed nets. Some bed nets were delivered to the local airport. These were then reported as stolen, but later resurfaced as wedding dresses on the local black market.

Sala-i-Martín reported that later in 2005 when Stone was travelling in Africa, she was shocked to learn that a majority of African presidents are billionaires themselves.[citation needed] In fact UNICEF officials traveling with her said Mr. Mkapa himself, then Tanzanian president, could have simply written that check if he wanted to.[citation needed] Stone believes that there is no doubt that celebrity involvement in philanthropy can have many positive effects. Stone has vowed to consult with Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey, two prominent philantropists, before making another effort to help another African nation. Stone hosted the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize Concert.

Beliefs

It has been said that her parents raised her with feminist values. "My dad never raised me to believe that being a woman inhibited any of my choices or my possibilities to succeed. To be a feminist like Dad in that blue-collar, middle-class world is a big stand," said Sharon.

In April 2004, she was awarded the National Center for Lesbian Rights Spirit Award in San Francisco for her support and involvement with organizations that serve the lesbian, gay and HIV/AIDS community. She was presented the award by San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, then embroiled in a national controversy over his decision to allow same sex marriage in his city.

In the early 1990s, Stone became a member of the Church of Scientology. Stone remained with the religion until recently when she converted to Buddhism, after fellow actor Richard Gere introduced her to the Dalai Lama.[13]

Relationships

She married television producer Michael Greenburg in 1984 on the set of The Vegas Strip War, a TV movie he produced and she starred in, along with Rock Hudson and James Earl Jones. The controversial marriage (Greenburg's first marriage was destroyed along the way) quickly fell apart; they separated three years later, and their divorce was finalized in 1990. Stone was previously married to George Englund, Jr., the son of Cloris Leachman.

On February 14, 1998, she married Phil Bronstein, executive editor of the San Francisco Examiner and later San Francisco Chronicle. Stone and Bronstein were divorced in January 2004, after he had suffered a severe heart attack. They have an adopted son named Roan Joseph, born in 2000.

On May 7, 2005, Stone adopted a baby boy who had been born in Texas to a surrogate mother. She named the baby boy Laird Vonne Stone. On June 28, 2006, Stone had adopted another baby boy named Quinn. On August 30, 2006, Stone confirmed that she adopted another baby boy. [2]

In 2005 during a television interview for her movie Basic Instinct 2, Sharon hinted an interest in bisexuality stating "Middle age is an open-minded period."[14] However, in an interview on the Michael Parkinson talk show in England on March 18, 2006, she said she was straight. She is currently dating Christian Slater, whom she met on the set of Bobby.

Medical problems

Shortly after the release of Total Recall, Stone was involved in a car accident on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. Immediately after the accident, she went home, not knowing she had just suffered a concussion. She woke up almost completely paralyzed and ended up lying on the floor, crying, for three days. When she finally got to a hospital, the concussion was diagnosed along with a dislocated shoulder and jaw, several broken ribs, and three compressed discs in her back. The accident left scars that are visible in some of her later screen appearances.

On September 29, 2001, Stone suffered a vertebral artery dissection which caused a subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding around the brain membrane). She was treated quickly and made a complete recovery.[15]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:41 am
Jack decided to go trout fishing in the Sierras with his buddy, Bob. So they loaded up Jack's minivan and headed north.

After driving for a few hours, they got caught in a terrible blizzard. So they pulled into a nearby farm and asked the attractive lady who answered he door if they could spend the night.

"I realize it's terrible weather out there and I have this huge house all to myself, but I'm recently widowed," she explained. " I'm afraid the neighbors will talk if I let you stay in my house"

"Don't worry," Jack said. "We'll be happy to sleep in the barn. And if the weather breaks, we'll be gone at first light."

The lady agreed, and the two men found their way to the barn and settled in for the night. Come morning, the weather had cleared, and they got on their way. They enjoyed a great weekend of fishing.

But about nine months later, Jack got an unexpected letter from an attorney. It took him a few minutes to figure it out, but he finally determined that it was from the attorney of that attractive widow he had met on the fishing weekend.

He dropped in on his friend Bob and asked "Bob, do you remember that good-looking widow from the farm we stayed at on that trout fishing holiday up north about 9 months ago?"

"Yes, I do." said Bob

"Did you happen to get up in the middle of the night, go up to the house and pay her a visit?"

"Well, um, yes," Bob said, a little embarrassed a about being found out.

"I have been found out admit that I did."

"And did you happen to use my name instead of telling her your name?"

Bob's face turned beet red and he said, "Yeah, look, I'm sorry, buddy. I'm afraid I did." Why do you ask?"

She just died and left me everything."

(And you thought the ending would be different, didn't you?... now keep that smile for the rest of the day.)
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:12 am
fooled me, bob. Laughing

seems to me we haven't had any Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross at the station lately (if ever), so here goes:

My wife got tired a' me runnin 'round, so she tried to keep me home-
Well, she broke my nose and hid my clothes, but I continued to roam.
Then she finally hit my weak spot - threatened to throw my bottle out
Well, from the basement to the rooftop, everybody could hear me shout...

Chorus: Gimme that wine (Unhand that bottle) (3 times)
'Cause I can't cut loose without my juice.
Gotta have hot lucy when I go walkin' y'know.

Well, one day while crossin the avenue, a big car knocked me down.
While I was stretched out tyin' up traffic and crowds came from blocks around
Now the po-lice were searchin my pockets, before they sent me to the funeral parlor,
But when one o' those cops took my bottle, Jack, I jumped straight up and commenced to holler

'Cause I can't get well without Muskatel
I only drink for medicinal purposes anyway

Well, now, one real dark and dreary night as I was staggerin' home t' bed,
Well, a bandit jumped from the shadows and put a blackjack 'side my head.
That cat took my watch, my ring, my money, And I didn't make a sound,
but when he reached 'n got my bottle, you could hear me for blocks around

Beat m' head outta shape, but leave my grape.
Watch, ring and money ain't nothin' but don mess with my wine, Jim.

Well one day my house caught fire while I was layin' down sleepin' off a nap
An' when I woke up everything was burnin' with a pop an' a crackle an' a snap.
Now the fireman chopped up my TV set and tore my apartment apart,
But when he raised his axe to my bottle, I screamed with all my heart...

So I can drink one toast before I roast.
No sense goin' out half baked, Might as well be All tore up

You can take all those Hollywood glamor girls- Lana Turner, Rita Hayworth, Bridget Bardot, n' Lucille Ball,
and all them chicks 'n line 'em upside the wall
Put a GIGANTIC jug beside 'em, n' tell me to take my choice.
Well, there'd be no doubt which one I chose, the minute I raised my voice.

Well those chicks look fine, but I love my wine.
Now some folks like money, some like to dance and dine,
But I'll be happy If you give me that wine
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:24 am
Cordelia Brown

Oh, Cordelia Brown, although' you never tell,
Oh, Cordelia Brown, still I know your secret well
Yes you fell in love with Ned
And when he left, your head turned red
And right well you know,
That what I say is true

Oh, Cordelia Brown, what make your head so red
You say you come out in the sunshine
With nothing on your head

Oh, Cordelia Brown, yes I've been far and wide
Now I'm telling you, every girl wants to be a bride
So I know what happen to you
And please strike me down if it isn't true
He said he never would wed,
And that when your head turned red

Oh, Cordelia Brown, Saw you waiting' at the train,
Yes, he's gone away, might never return again
Now miss Brown may I confess,
I've yearned this long for your caress
Since your head so red
I think I'll marry Mabel instead

Belafonte
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Before I acknowledge everyone, I would like to present a little of Disney.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/lajb10103082023.widec.jpg

A new film, done in the old style, will be released in the future, and I think that is really a big step forward, folks. The very first black frog princess.

You may or may not recognize Randy Newman, but here's a song that he wrote and is the theme music behind the TV show, Monk:

It's a jungle out there
Disorder and confusion everywhere
No one seems to care
Well I do
Hey, who's in charge here?
It's a jungle out there
Poison in the very air we breathe
Do you know what's in the water that you drink?
Well I do, and it's amazing
People think I'm crazy, 'cause I worry all the time
If you paid attention, you'd be worried too
You better pay attention
Or this world we love so much might just kill you
I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
'Cause it's a jungle out there
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:26 am
Glad to see our hawkman up early and informing us with his celeb background. Loved your punch line, Boston Bob. "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive", right? Razz We will wait to comment on the famous folks, when that speckled pup appears in our cyber studio.

We are delighted to see our Mr. Turtle back in the company of a great jazz group. Actually, M.D. , we did play a song by them several decades ago.

edgar, love your Belafonte song as usual. You do indeed have a wide and versatile background in discography, Texas.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:53 am
The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this young man sawin' on a fiddle and playin' it hot.
And the devil jumped upon a hickory stump and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
"I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you play a pretty good fiddle, boy, but give the devil his due:
"I bet a fiddle of gold against your soul, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
The boy said: "My name's Johnny and it might be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."

Johnny you rosin up your bow and play your fiddle hard.
'Cos hells broke loose in Georgia and the devil deals it hard.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold.
But if you lose, the devil gets your soul.

The devil opened up his case and he said: "I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his fingertips as he resined up his bow.
And he pulled the bow across his strings and it made an evil hiss.
Then a band of demons joined in and it sounded something like this.
When the devil finished, Johnny said: "Well you're pretty good ol' son.
"But if you'll sit down in that chair, right there, and let me show you how its done."

Fire on the moun, run boys, run.
The devil's in the house of the risin' sun.
Chicken in the bread pin, pickin' out dough.
"Granny, does your dog bite?"
"No, child, no."

The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
He laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet.
Johnny said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
"I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been."

And he played fire on the mount, run boys, run.
The devil's in the house of the risin' sun.
Chicken in the bread pin pickin' out dough.
"Granny, does your dog bite?"
"No, child, no."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:40 pm
Hey, dys. I love that song. There have been so many written about "how to beat the devil", and as I recall, one had to do with Joe Seneca who encouraged a young musician to learn classical music first, then with that kind of background, he could play anything. In a contest with the devil, he finally bested him by resorting to a classical piece. Can't recall whether it was a guitar or a fiddle, however.

Speaking of the devil, folks. How about this frog princess by Dante's Inferno. Razz

I met a girl, she was a frog princess
I guess I ought to make it clear
That I saw nothing through her see-through dress
Until she whispered in my ear
"You don't really love me and I don't really mind
'Cause I don't love anybody,
That stuff is just a waste of time
Your place or mine?"
I met a girl, she was a complete mess
I should've left her well alone - but oh no, not me!
I had to see if underneath that dress
Her heart was really made of stone
I met a girl, she was a frog princess
And yes I do regret it now
But how was I to know that just one kiss
Could turn my frog into a cow?
And now I'm rid of her I must confess
To thinking 'bout what might have been
And I can visualise my frog princess
Beneath a shining guillotine
You don't really love me and I don't really mind
'Cause I don't love anybody,
I come and go through people's love lives
Your place or mine
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:44 pm
Good afternoon WA2K.

Have some faces here to match Bob's bios:

http://www.nndb.com/people/126/000063934/barry-enl.jpghttp://www.adiumxtras.com/images/pictures/chuck_norris_random_fact_generator_6_3957_2224_image_2578.jpg
http://www.cinema.cz/image/20051122004909_sharon_stone.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:51 pm
Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)
Edison Lighthouse

She ain't got no money
Her clothes are kinda funny
Her hair is kinda wild and free
Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes
And nobody knows like me

She talks kinda lazy
And people say she she's crazy
And her life's a mystery
Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes
And nobody knows like me

There's something about her hand holding mine
It's a feeling that's fine
And I just gotta say, heeeey
She's really got a magical spell
And it's working so well
That I can't get away

I'm a lucky fella
And I've just got to tell her
That I love her endlessly
Because love grows where my Rosemary goes
And nobody knows like me

There's something about her hand holding mine
It's a feeling that's fine
And I just gotta say, heeeey
She's really got a magical spell
And it's working so well
That I can't get away

I'm a lucky fella
And I've just got to tell her
That I love her endlessly
Because love grows where my Rosemary goes
And nobody knows like me

It keeps growing every place she's been
And nobody knows like me

If you've met her, you'll never forget her
And nobody knows like me

La la la, believe it when you've seen it
Nobody knows like me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:57 pm
Well, there's our Raggedy with perfect pictures of Barry, and Chuck, and wicked Sharon. Razz Thanks again, PA

Since it is approaching St. Patrick's Day, shall we do this famous lullaby?

Over in Killarney,
Many years ago,
Me mither sang a song to me
In tones so sweet and low.
Just a simple little ditty,
In her good ould Irish way,
And I'd give the world if she could sing
That song to me this day.
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Hush, now don't you cry!
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
That's an Irish lullaby.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 05:29 pm
Ah, edgar. I missed your song, and the lyrics are so true, Texas. True solidarity in a relationship contains so much more than beauty, because when that beauty fades, there must be something more solid to replace it.

Well, from the sublime to the ridiculous, listeners. (hope that our man in Texas is not offended)<smile>

From Chuck

In the eyes of a ranger,
The unsuspected stranger
Had better know the truth of wrong from right,
Cuz the eyes of a ranger are upon you,
Any wrong you do he's gonna see,
When you're in Texas look behind you,
Cuz that's where the rangers are gonna be
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:34 am
Dorothy Gish

Born March 11, 1898
Dayton, Ohio
Died June 4, 1968
Rapallo, Italy

Dorothy Gish (March 11, 1898 - June 4, 1968) was an American actress. Born Dorothy Elizabeth de Guiche in Dayton, Ohio, she was the younger sister of actress Lillian Gish.

Dorothy's mother Mary began acting in order to support the family after her husband left. When they were old enough, Dorothy and Lillian were brought into their mother's act, and they also modeled. In 1912 their childhood friend Mary Pickford introduced them to director D.W. Griffith, and the sisters began acting at the Biograph Studios.

Dorothy and Lillian both debuted in Griffith's An Unseen Enemy. Dorothy would go on to star in over 100 short films and features, many of them with Lillian.

Overshadowed by her sister's popularity, Dorothy virtually retired from motion pictures when talkies came along. She moved to England, where she turned her attention to the stage. From 1930 until her death, she only appeared in five more movies, and one television movie. She did make several appearances in anthology television series in the early 1950s.

Dorothy (right) with her sister LillianShe was married to James Rennie (1890-1965), a Canadian-born actor who was her co-star in Remodeling Her Husband (filmed in 1920, it was directed by Dorothy's older sister, Lillian, in her only directorial outing). They were married in 1920 in a double ceremony with actress Constance Talmadge and businessman John Piagoglou, and were divorced in 1935.

She died in 1968 from bronchial pneumonia at the age of 70 at a clinic in Rapallo, Italy where she had been a patient for two years, with sister Lillian at her side. Dorothy Gish was interred in Saint Bartholomew's Episcopal Church columbarium in the undercroft of the church, New York City. Her sister Lillian was later interred beside her.

Filmography

Her best known films are Old Heidelberg, Stage Struck, The Little Yankee, Children of the Feud, That Colby Girl, Hearts of the World, Battling Jane, The Hope Chest, and Orphans of the Storm.
0 Replies