WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
Well, Raggedy. I can't find one single song from the Rose Tattoo, but the soundtrack did show this as an instrumental. Hard to believe that it's the same one, however:

Well I'm the sheik of Araby,
Your love belongs to me.
Well at night where you're asleep,
Into your tent I'll creep.
The stars that shine above
Will light our way to love.
You rule this world with me,
I'm the sheik of Araby.
Your love belongs to me.
Oh at night where you're asleep,
Into your tent I'll creep.
The sun that shines above
Will light our way to love.
You rule this world with me,
I'm the sheik of Araby.
Well I'm the sheik of Araby, yeah.

I think Walter played that one long, long ago.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 02:46 pm
Oh, I think Burt and Anna danced to her record of "The Sheik of Araby" in the movie. But, don't quote me on it. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 02:52 pm
Quote for the day:

Burt and Anna danced to the music of The Sheik of Araby in The Rose Tattoo.

Raggedyaggie. Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 04:40 pm
Laughing

The Sheik of Araby made me think of the movie I saw about Valentino the other evening with Rudolph Nureyev in the lead. I tried to find the lyrics to the song that was sung at the beginning and end of the movie, "There's A New Star in Heaven Tonight", (not to be confused with a song written for Princess Di , There's A New Star Up in Heaven Tonight) I remembered my mother singing that song many many years ago. No luck finding the lyrics, but I did find the song in case you're interested. Click on No. 21 in the left column. The fans in those days really took their movie stars seriously. lol

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rudolphvalentino
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:39 pm
Deja vu, Raggedy. I told Walter the same thing when he played that song, The Sheik of Araby. Shocked

Bill Gates keeps sending error messages to our studio, and I read your Valentino site, but had to shut down our equipment.

I did locate Valentino in The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and found this poem from which a song was featured in that movie.

Kashmiri Song

Pale hands I loved beside the Shalimar,
Where are you now? Who lies beneath your spell?
Whom do you lead on Rapture's roadway, far,
Before you agonise them in farewell?
Oh, pale dispensers of my Joys and Pains,
Holding the doors of Heaven and of Hell,
How the hot blood rushed wildly through the veins
Beneath your touch, until you waved farewell.
Pale hands, pink tipped, like Lotus buds that float
On those cool waters where we used to dwell,
I would have rather felt you round my throat,
Crushing out life, than waving me farewell!

http://www.kssilentfilmfest.org/kssff2002/4horsemen.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:54 pm
CBC-TV has a wonderful new show "little mosque on the prairies" starting at 8 pm - mustn't miss it - good , clean fun !
but before i go , here is the "irish washerwoman" .
hbg

When I was at home I was merry and frisky,
My dad kept a pig and my mother sold whisky,
My uncle was rich, but never would by aisey
Till I was enlisted by Corporal Casey.
Och! rub a dub, row de dow, Corporal Casey,
My dear little Shelah, I thought would run crazy,
When I trudged away with tough Corporal Casey.

I marched from Kilkenny, and, as I was thinking
On Shelah, my heart in my bosom was sinking,
But soon I was forced to look fresh as a daisy,
For fear of a drubbing from Corporal Casey.
Och! rub a dub, row de dow, Corporal Casey!
The devil go with him, I ne'er could be lazy,
He struck my shirts so, ould Corporal Casey.

We went into battle, I took the blows fairly
That fell on my pate, but they bothered me rarely,
And who should the first be that dropped, why, and please ye,
It was my good friend, honest Corporal Casey.
Och! rub a dub, row de dow, Corporal Casey!
Thinks I you are quiet, and I shall be aisey,
So eight years I fought without Corporal Casey.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:00 pm
just want to give you a little preview of "little mosque on the prairies" .
i sure hope you'll get to see it sometime - it's been running here since early january .
hbg

Quote:
TORONTO (CP) - It hasn't even aired yet, but CBC's "Little Mosque on the Prairie" is getting the type of advance buzz most publicity departments would kill for.

The show, a comedy about Muslims trying to interact with their small-town neighbours in a fictional Canadian prairie town called Mercy, has been written up in the New York Times and the Houston Chronicle, with CNN and Stephen Colbert, the fake late-night talk-show host, also taking notice.

All this despite the fact that "Little Mosque" doesn't premiere on CBC-TV until Tuesday, Jan. 9. The show will then air on Monday nights at 9 p.m. ET, repeating on Wednesday nights at 8 p.m. ET.

The advance attention is gratifying to the show's creator, Zarqa Nawaz, who huddled on-set recently in a full-length Muslim head scarf while noshing on shepherd's pie. After all, Nawaz says, she's writing about what she knows and the issues and characters she holds dear.

"I grew up in a mosque, I got married in a mosque, I spend a lot of time in a mosque - mosque is a really important part of my life," she says, warming up inside a heated minivan on a chilly autumn day of shooting in the far reaches of Toronto's west end, currently filling in for the Prairies due to the show's suddenly compressed shooting schedule.

The CBC is so pumped by the attention the show started getting - largely on the strength of its title and premise - that it decided to take advantage of the buzz and premiere the show in January instead of waiting until next fall. That meant the show's production crew had to move into overdrive to get the initial episodes ready for broadcast.
0 Replies

p1ay1da1y

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:16 pm
What are you guys getting your girlfriends for mothers day?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:17 pm
Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody
Jerry Lewis

Rock-a-bye your baby with a Dixie melody
When you croon, croon a tune from the heart of Dixie
Just place my cradle, mammy mine
Right on the Mason Dixon line
And swing it from Virginia
To Tennessee with all the love that's in ya

Weep no more, my lady
Sing that song again for me
Soft and low, just as though
You had me on your knee

A million baby kisses I'd deliver
If you would only sing that Swanee River
Rock-a-bye your rock-a-bye baby with a Dixie melody
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:36 pm
hamburger, thanks for the Irish song. Can you folks imagine what it would be like to rubba dub dub?

Also, hbg, Your Canadian show "Little Mosque on the Prairie" made us smile. I also checked it out and found it to be quite provocative. Unfortunately, I, for one, cannot get the show, and I'm still fighting with my cable company. Think I'll win?

Hey, P1D. Welcome to our little cyber radio station. Well, should someone's mother be Irish, then let hbg's song be for her. How's that?

Do you know why I like that song, edgar? It's because of the background of Al Jolson. What a man he must have been, Texas, and thanks for the Jerry Lewis version.

For my older sister, a poem

I sat upon a hill one day in March,
And heard the footsteps of approaching spring.

Her garments rustled as if stiff and starched,
Her voice was like the bluebirds when they sing.

No bad for a wee Letty. <smile>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 05:58 am
A Beautiful Morning
The Rascals

It's a beautiful mornin', ahhh
I think I'll go outside a while
An jus' smile
Just take in some clean fresh air, boy
Ain't no sense in stayin' inside
If the weather's fine an' you got the time
It's your chance to wake up and plan another brand new day
Either way
It's a beautiful mornin', ahhh

Each bird keeps singin' his own song
So long
I've got to be on my way, now
Ain't no fun just hangin' around
I've got to cover ground, you couldn't keep me down
It just ain't no good if the sun shines
When you're still inside
Shouldn't hide, still inside, shouldn't hide
Ahhhh, oh (shouldn't hide) ah, ah, oh

(Do, do, waaa) (do, do, waaa)

There will be children with robins and flowers
Sunshine caresses each new waking hour
Seems to me that the people keep seeing
More and more each day, gotta say, lead the way
It's okay, wednesday, thursday, it's okay
(Ahhh) monday, wednesday, friday, weekday, ah, ah, ohhh

(Do, do, waaa)

Ah, ah, oh, oh, (do, do, aaaa)
Wooooo oo oo oh, oh, oh, ah wo, do, waa
Ohhhhhhh, oh, oh, oh
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 06:23 am
Good morning, WA2K folks.

Hey, edgar, great song to begin the day, Texas, and here's a funny antithesis:

When It's Springtime In Alaska lyrics
Artist: Hank Snow
Album: I've Been Everywhere

(When it's springtime in alaska it's forty below)
I mushed from port barren through a blizzard of snow
Been out prospecting for two years or so
Pulled into fairbanks the city was a boon
So I took a little stroll to the red dog saloon

As I walked in the door the music was clear
The prettiest voice I had heard in two years
The song she was singin' made a man's blood run cold
When it's springtime in alaska it's forty below

It was red headed luie who was singin' so sweet
I reached down and took the snowpacks off my feet
I reached toward the gal who was singin' the tune
We did the escimo hop all around the saloon
[ banjo ]
Where the cariboo crawl and the grizzly bear hug
We did our dance on a kodiac rug
The song she kept singing made a man's blood run cold
When it's springtime in alaska it's forty below

I was as innocent as I could be
I didn't know luie was big ed's wife to be
He took out his knife and he gave it a throw
When it's springtime in alaska I'll be six feet below
(When it's springtime in alaska he'll be six feet below
When it's springtime in alaska he'll be six feet below)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:31 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:36 am
Claire Trevor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born March 8, 1910
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Died April 8, 2000 aged 90
Newport Beach, California, USA

Academy Awards

Best Supporting Actress
1948 Key Largo

Claire Trevor (March 8, 1910 - April 8, 2000) was an Academy Award-winning American actress, nicknamed "Queen of Film Noir" because of her many appearances in "bad girl" roles in film noir and other black-and-white thrillers. She appeared in over 60 films.

Early life

Trevor was born as Claire Wemlinger in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York, the only child of a 5th Avenue merchant-tailor and his wife. Her family was of Irish American and French American descent.

Career

Trevor's acting career spanned more than seven decades and included success in stage, radio, television and film. Trevor often played the hard-boiled blonde, and every conceivable type of "bad girl" role. After attending American Academy of Dramatic Arts, she began her acting career in the late '20s in stock. By 1932 she was starring on Broadway; that same year she began appearing in Brooklyn-filmed Vitaphone shorts. Her feature film debut came in: Jimmy and Sally (1933) as "Sally Johnson".

A three-time Oscar nominee, Claire Trevor earned Oscar nominations for Dead End, a 1937 melodrama in which she played a good girl who grows up to be a prostitute, and for The High and the Mighty, a 1954 airplane disaster epic. She won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress award for her 1948 performance in Key Largo, co-starring with Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson and Lauren Bacall. In Key Largo, Trevor played the mistress to Robinson's sadistic gangster. In one scene, he forces her to sing for a drink she badly wants. Trevor struggles through the song only to be refused the drink by Robinson "because you were rotten."

Murder, My Sweet with Dick PowellIn 1956, Trevor won an Emmy for Best Live Television Performance by an Actress for Dodsworth, with Fredric March, on NBC's Producer's Showcase.

The Claire Trevor School of the Arts at the University of California, Irvine was named in Trevor's honor. Both her Oscar and Emmy trophies are on display in a plaza at the School of Arts.

Private life

Trevor married film producer Clark Andrews in 1938, but they divorced four years later. Her second marriage to Cylos William Dunsmoore produced a son, Charles. The marriage ended in divorce in 1947. The next year, Trevor married Milton Bren, another film producer and soon after moved to Newport Beach, California.

In 1978 her only biological child, her son Charles Dunsmoore, died in an airliner crash and her last husband, Milton Bren, died from a brain tumor in 1979. Trevor retired from acting in 1987. She made a special Academy Awards Appearance in 1998 at the 70th Academy Awards.

She died of respiratory failure in Newport Beach, April 8, 2000 at the age of 90, survived by several step-children by her marriage to Bren. Claire Trevor was cremated and her remains were scattered at sea.

Claire Trevor has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
Alan Hale, Jr.

Birth name Alan Hale Mackahan Jr.
Born March 8, 1921
Los Angeles, California, United States
Died January 2, 1990
Los Angeles, California, United States
Spouse(s) Naomi Hale

Alan Hale Jr. (born Alan Hale Mackahan, March 8, 1921[1] - January 2, 1990) was an American movie and television actor, best known for his role as the Skipper, Jonas Grumby, on the popular sitcom Gilligan's Island.

Life

He was born in Los Angeles, California. His father, character actor Alan Hale Sr. (who looked almost exactly like his son), had a successful career in movies including the role of Little John in both the Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn versions of Robin Hood. Hale Sr. is probably best known for having appeared in almost every Errol Flynn film and acted in 235 movies altogether. While his father was adapting to sound films, Hale Jr. started his career while still a baby. During the Second World War, he enlisted in the United States Coast Guard. After his father's death in 1950, Junior was dropped from his name. His mother would go on to live until 1979.

His first important roles were as a member of Gene Autry's recurring cast of players. During the late 1940s and early 1950s, he frequently appeared in Gene Autry movies and The Gene Autry Show on TV. He also starred in television series, such as 1952-53's Biff Baker U.S.A.. He later took part in sitcoms such as Casey Jones (1957) and The Good Guys (1968-70). In 1962, Hale also appeared on "The Andy Griffith Show" as Jeff Pruitt, a rough, back-woods bachelor who comes to Mayberry to find a bride. In the episode, he refers to Barney Fife more than once as "little buddy," a nick name he would later use in his role as Skipper. He made his greatest mark on pop culture with his role as the Skipper on Gilligan's Island, which ran from 1964 to 1967. During his career, he was noted for his supporting character roles in such movies as Up Periscope, The Lady Takes a Flyer, The Giant Spider Invasion and The West Point Story.

Living in Hollywood for his post-television years, Hale died at St. Vincent's Medical Center in Los Angeles from respiratory failure due to cancer of the thymus.

Legacy

The popularity of Gilligan's Island typecast its actors, making it difficult for them to find other acting work. However, Alan Hale often said he didn't mind being so closely identified with the Skipper. He owned a very popular restaurant ("Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel") and would often greet customers in his "Skipper" hat. Alan Hale was known for his great love of children. When he was dying of cancer, he learned there was a sick child in the same hospital who loved the show. He went to see the boy and said "The Skipper's here, son, everything is going to be all right."

During the weekends of 1974 to 1977, a new generation enjoyed the cartoon version of The New Adventures of Gilligan and by 1978, they brought back the original crew for a two-part episode named Rescue From Gilligan's Island. This experience was renewed in 1979 and 1981.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:44 am
Cyd Charisse

Cyd Charisse (born Tula Ellice Finklea on March 8, 1921) is an American dancer and actress. She was born in Amarillo, Texas, and reputedly, the name "Cyd" was a nickname taken from a sibling trying to say "Sis".

Career

Charisse performed in celebrated on-screen pairings with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. Her work includes two of the most acclaimed dance sequences in musical cinema, the "Broadway Melody Ballet" sequence from the movie Singin' in the Rain and the "Girl Hunt Ballet" from The Band Wagon. She appeared more recently in Blue Mercedes's I Want To Be Your Property and Janet Jackson's "Alright" music video. Charisse's singing voice was usually dubbed in her musical film appearances, most often by India Adams.

Personal life

Charisse has been married to singer Tony Martin since 1948, more than 50 years, something of an achievement for a Hollywood marriage. She was previously married to Nico Charisse from 1939 to 1947. She has two sons, Nico "Nicky" Charisse from her first marriage and Tony Martin Jr. from her second. Her niece is actress Nana Visitor. Her daughter-in-law is Liv Lindeland, who was Playboy magazine's Playmate of the Month in January 1971 and featured as Playmate of the Year for 1971 in the January 1972 issue.

She wrote a joint biography with Martin (and Dick Kleiner) entitled The Two of Us (1976). She is featured in the 2001 Guinness Book of World Records under "Most Valuable Legs", since a $5 million insurance policy was accepted on her legs in 1952. She beat the previous record holder Betty Grable.

Her daughter-in-law, Sheila Charisse, was a victim of the crash of American Airlines Flight 191 in 1979.

When in her 60s, she produced a workout video.

Current work

Now in her 80s, Charisse still makes occasional appearances in documentaries on Hollywood musicals.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
Lynn Redgrave

Born March 8, 1943
London, England
Spouse(s) John Clark (1967 - 2000)
Official site http://www.redgrave.com

Notable roles Georgy Girl

Ann Anderson, in House Calls 1979-81
Lady Bracknell, 2006

Academy Awards

Best Actress, Nomination
1966 Georgy Girl
Best Supporting Actress, Nomination
1998 Gods and Monsters
Emmy Awards

House Calls 1981
The Shooting 1987

Lynn Rachel Redgrave OBE (born 8 March 1943 in London) is an English actress born into the famous acting Redgrave family.

Her parents are Sir Michael Redgrave and Rachel Kempson, Lady Redgrave, her brother is Corin Redgrave and her sister is Vanessa Redgrave. She is the aunt of Natasha Richardson, Joely Richardson and Jemma Redgrave.

Lynn Redgrave's stage debut was in the role of Helena in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, directed by Tony Richardson for the English Stage Company at the Royal Court Theatre in January 1962. Her first film role was in a small part in Tom Jones in 1963. In 1966 she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for Georgy Girl.

She has worked on television, the London stage, and Broadway, including Black Comedy/White Lies, My Fat Friend, Shakespeare for My Father, Aren't We All?, and The Constant Wife. She has been nominated for three Tony Awards and four Drama Desk Awards (winning for Talking Heads), and is the 1977 and 1995 winner of the Sarah Siddons Award for her work in Chicago theatre.

Other films include The Happy Hooker, Every Little Crook and Nanny, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask), The Big Bus, Sunday Lovers, and Shine.

From 1979 to 1981, she starred in the American television series House Calls.

In 1983, Redgrave became very well known in the United States when she began starring in a long-running series of television commercials for Weight Watchers. Prior to this, she had suffered from the eating disorder bulimia, telling People Magazine in 1992, "(Bingeing and purging) felt like a great discovery, as I suppose it is to most people. People complimented me on my weight, but inside I felt like s--t."

In 1967, she made her Broadway debut in Black Comedy/White Lies. She was also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for Gods and Monsters. In the film, Kinsey, which starred her nephew-in-law, Liam Neeson, she has a brief but poignant and widely praised role.

In 1993 she was elected President of The Players, the historic bastion of Anglo/American theatre history following the time when women were finally allowed to become members.

In 1989 she appeared on Broadway in Love Letters with her husband John Clark, and thereafter performed the play, only with her husband, around the country, and on one occasion for the jury in the OJ Simpson case.

In 2003 she appeared on Broadway in a one-woman play Shakespeare For My Father devised and co-written with her husband, who also produced and directed. She was nominated for Best Actress in a Play Tony Award.

In 2000, Redgrave divorced her husband of 33 years, when he revealed that he had fathered a child for a family friend in need. At the family's suggestion, the friend married, then divorced, Redgrave and Clark's son Benjamin in order to gain a green card, (after which she sued the family). Details are made available at Clark's website [1], in which he reveals his legal fights. In 2002, Redgrave announced that she has breast cancer. She has written a play, The Mandrake Root, in which she starred.

On 30 March 2005, the website of Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Connecticut states that she appeared in the play Sisters of the Garden, about the Mendelssohn and Boulanger sisters.

As of early 2005, she is reported to be writing a one-woman play about her battle against cancer, from which she is evidently in remission, and her 2002 mastectomy, based on her book Journal: A Mother and Daughter's Recovery from Breast Cancer with photos by Annabel Clark (Redgrave and Clark's youngest daughter) and text by Redgrave herself.[2]

In September, 2006, she appeared in "Nightingale", the U.S. premier of her new one-woman play based upon her maternal grandmother Beatrice, at Los Angeles' Mark Taper Forum. This will be her third play to concern itself with a family member.

Redgrave was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, after she became a naturalized citizen of the United States. She narrated Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis for Harper Audio.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:02 am
A furniture dealer from Arkansas decided that he wanted to expand the lines
of furniture in his store, so he decided to go to Paris, which he thought was the
capital of European furniture, to see what he could find.
After arriving in Paris, he met with some manufacturers and finally selected a
line that he thought would sell well back home in Arkansas.
To celebrate the new acquisition, he decided to visit a small bistro and have a
glass of wine. As he sat enjoying his wine, he noticed that the small place was
quite crowded, and that the one other chair at his table was the only vacant
seat in the house. Before long, a very beautiful young Parisian girl came to his
table, asked him something in French, and motioned toward the chair.
He invited her to sit down. He tried to speak to her in English, but she did not
speak his language.
After a couple of minutes of trying communicate with her, he took a napkin and
drew a picture of a wine glass and showed it her.
She nodded, so he ordered a glass of wine for her. After sitting together at the
table for awhile, he took another napkin, and drew a picture of a plate with food
on it, and she nodded.
They left the bistro and found a quiet cafe that featured a small group playing
romantic music. They ordered dinner, after which he took another napkin and
drew a picture of a couple dancing. She nodded, and they got up to dance.
They danced until the cafe closed and the band was packing up.
Back at their table, the young lady took a napkin and drew a picture of a
four-poster bed.
To this day, he has no idea how she figured out he was in the furniture business.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
Isn't that typically American, BioBob? Love it, hawkman, as well as as your celeb's background. One thing that really surprised me is that Cyd Charisse and Tony Martin are still alive and married. What an inspiration.

In a search through our archives, I found songs by Tony Martin, but could not access them. What a strange situation. Probably my fumbling that did it.

Well, I did find this one:

The Seekers

Hey there, Georgy girl
Swingin' down the street so fancy-free
Nobody you meet could ever see
The loneliness there inside you
Hey there, Georgy girl
Why do all the boys just pass you by?
Could it be you just don't try
Or is it the clothes you wear?

You're always window shopping
But never stopping to buy
So shed those dowdy feathers
And fly a little bit
Hey there, Georgy girl
There's another Georgy deep inside
Bring out all the love you hide and,
Oh, what a change there'd be
The world would see a new Georgy girl

Hey there, Georgy girl
Dreamin'; of the someone you could be
Life is a reality, you can't always run away
Don't be so scared of changing
And rearranging yourself
It's time for jumping down
From the shelf a little bit

Hey there, Georgy girl
There's another Georgy deep inside
Bring out all the love you hide and,
Oh, what a change there'd be
The world would see a new Georgy girl

Maybe when our Raggedy enters today, she will be able to help.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:59 am
Good morning.

Big Tony Martin hit way back when. (sort of a tango beat)

When we are dancing
And your dangerously near me
I get ideas, I get ideas
I want to hold you
So much closer than I dare to
I want to scold you
'Cause I care more than I care to

And when you touch me
And there's fire in every finger
I get ideas, I get ideas
And after we have kissed goodnight
And still you linger