witch is more relevant in the american constution
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,441 • Replies: 51
No top replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:34 pm
the freedom to practice and express or spiritual beliefs , is one of the founding principles of the United States consitution , as is the separation of church and state . AT what point do they conflict , and where should the lines be drawn?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:42 pm
i think they conflict when it comes to the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

separtation of church and state was to make sure the the governing force was not influenced by the major religious faction ( or least that is my take on it) and when things like no prayer in school or no moment of silence or teachers not being able to talk about their bliefs with students, not push but talk, i think it goes a bit far. but then again its the freedom of america that allows to people to take out what they think is right. even if it was a founding principle of the nation.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:44 pm
Ooh, I have a feeling this one's gonna be good. Bookmark.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:46 pm
should spark some spirited debate eh?
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:49 pm
schools are a good place to start this debate as they are owned and run by the state , i think most would agree that school led religouse activities should be out of the question , but can the state tell a citizen not to pray without violating the right to free expiration if the prayer in voluntary to that individual student.

if so should we also ban
jewlery
books
clothing
of a religous nature
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:51 pm
i'm no good at typing please forgive the mistakes Embarrassed
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:52 pm
if you go that far kflux then i think you infringe on the individual persons rights. we can keep government employed personal from doing religious things i.e. starting an orgainized prayor meeting on school grounds, having a student pray before the start of class. but if one was to keep bibles, and cross necklaces from the dress code and from being carried, then there would be a collision head on...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:53 pm
Seed wrote:

oh yeah. Right up until the nutjobs arrive.
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:53 pm
Feel free to take the arguement to all areas , i just thought schools were a good jumping off point
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:55 pm
kickycan wrote:
Seed wrote:

oh yeah. Right up until the nutjobs arrive.

and there are quite a few of them here .... Kflux i think that schools is the best place, because that is where there is much heated debate
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:57 pm
Seed wrote:
if you go that far kflux then i think you infringe on the individual persons rights. we can keep government employed personal from doing religious things i.e. starting an orgainized prayor meeting on school grounds, having a student pray before the start of class. but if one was to keep bibles, and cross necklaces from the dress code and from being carried, then there would be a collision head on...

my son started school this year , and necklaces or earings bering spiritual syimbles are not allowed in the dress code. I not even a christian , and that still doesn't seem right to me
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:01 pm
what kind of school? private or public?
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:01 pm
to be fair they ban all faths along with gang symbles political symbles or statement ect...
theymoved to uniformes 2 years ago but i wasn't paying attention at the time.
the ban on types of jewlery was instated this year
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:02 pm
public school
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:05 pm
if the school is privately owned they should be able to place any rules they see fit in my veiw , but government run brings up a delema
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:06 pm
well thats very interesting. has there been a right up about it in the press? any things about activitist acting out on it? if not i would be very surprised. i never saw that happening. that almost blows my mind. public schools in uniforms, i saw that coming, but not the banning of jewlery of religious faiths
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:13 pm
i live in a very small town (pop 674) we don't have a paper , my soon to be mother in law is the counseler at the high school, she thought it was out of line as well. They just thought with all the hollabalu over religon in schools they would be better off getting rid of it all together.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:15 pm
hmm i dont know about the kflux... i think they might ave dug a hole by doing that. once it gets out. i mean to mean thats a big deal. what have other parents had to say about it?
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:17 pm
they have every child in the same clothes , socks , shoes . limts on make up , hair acsessories , cartoon charictores on lunchboxes , the works
0 Replies