I keep hearing beeping ... can anyone help explain?

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:43 pm
Hello, I am new here. I came here because I am desperate to try and find out why I keep hearing beeping or short buzzing noises from anything around me that seems to have a speaker like device. So far no one else in my family is experiencing it. But, thank goodness, they can also hear it so at least I know I am not looney! Razz

It seems to have started about a week or two ago or so. The first time I heard it was from one of those "sound" machines; the kind you use to drown out other noises. I had it on upstairs in my bedroom so I could sleep. When I heard it, I just turned the thing off and it stopped. Then I used it again a couple of nights later and the same thing happened so I thought the machine was defective and thought no more of it. A couple of days later, I was driving downtown and I heard the very same sound from my radio! But, not being an alarmist type, I figured it was some weird interference going on perhaps in my area.

A day or so after that, I heard the sound again on my tv. Okay, so now it was getting a little strange. I had never heard this sound before and now I was hearing it every two days or so and in different places at different times. So far no one else had heard it. Then last night I heard it from my computer speakers. I began to doubt my sanity because once again no one was around to hear it.

So, today I brought my sound machine downstairs and plugged it in while I worked at my computer all day. I was determined to find out what the noise was. No noise... but, then it started again on my computer speakers. While it was still beeping, my daughter called on the phone and I could hear it on my phone's earpiece. I asked her if she could hear it but she couldn't. So now I was wondering if maybe something was wrong with my hearing or something.

Well, thank goodness, when my husband came home for lunch, he actually got to hear the noise on my computer speakers! Hallelujah! I am not crazy! After he left, the sound machine began beeping loudly and even clicking. I called him right away and he heard it over the phone. Then my daughter called back a bit later and the noise was on my phone and on the computer speakers again.

My husband just came in just now while I plugged in the sound machine again and the beeping started right up! I thought it sounded a bit like morse code but he learned mc in the Navy and says he doesn't remember it sounding like that. Any ideas what it could be? Btw, he said he heard it at work -- three block away from our house -- on his headphones for the first time today. So, now we know it isn't just around me... This is so strange.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 47,877 • Replies: 73
No top replies

neil

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
My guess is a high power radar, which aims its beam at your house intermittantly. If the signal is strong enough, even fillings in your teeth can buzz. Neil
0 Replies

kaboodles

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
Thanks, Neil. I told my husband your idea and he says he makes a lot of sense. I think so too. Sure make me feel a lot better too! Very Happy

If anyone has any other theories I would like to hear those also.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:49 pm
I can always tell when a call is coming in on my cell phone because my monitor flickers and my speakers buzz prior to the phone ringing.

I used to be able to pick up a radio station on my home phone when I used an extremely long phone extension cord.

My understanding is that just about any (non-shielded) piece of metal will pick up electro-magnetic signals. If the piece of metal is connected to a speaker, then you have a radio (albeit one that you cannot tune). The lengths of the wires in the electronics in your house determine the frequencies which will cause interference.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm
Also, some dimmer switches (usually on halogen lamps) will cause radio-frequency interference on house electrical wiring.
0 Replies

kaboodles

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 09:48 am
Thank you, Merlins. I am glad to hear there are a lot of reasons this could be happening. It was getting a bit unsettling for a while there. lol

Btw, I love your quote! Now that I am 53, have painfully learned enough humility to acquire at least a flicker of wisdom, and have even endured my own children's self-righteous young adulthoods, I can agree whole-heartedly!
0 Replies

sp2rays

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:21 pm
I have heard the strange noises too, I published this letter a few days ago at another website. This is not a Hoax; in fact it has driven me to this point where I am asking for some suggestions. About two years ago, I started getting bleeping noises from the speakers on my computer, it seemed to happen sporadically, whether I was active or not, regardless the speaker volume it is always loud. It is a set of bleeps that continues for several seconds. I read where other people had heard the same bleeping sounds out of their speakers too. Just within the past two weeks or so the bleeps are more frequent and followed by a set of bleeps that resembles Morse code. To make it more complex, the bleeping is starting to also come from my TV in the other room which my son brought to my attention, my home phone and my wife's cell phone. Needless to say that it might be just a interference frequency from a nearby transmitter, I have also heard this bleeping on my phone at work which is no closer than 15 miles from my house and also on my truck stereo when I was playing a CD one evening. Today I was able to record the bleeping sounds on a small cassette recorder. I do not have a microphone which would enable me to record it on my computer so instead I tried to use my fax/phone device that records my phone messages and stores them on my computer. I called my home phone, waited for the message machine to answer and started the recording. When I played it back on my computer the bleeping noises did not get recorded, all you can hear is me at the beginning stating an introduction to what they were. I have heard that supernatural beings have been able to communicate thru static electricity. My father passed away in 1976, when he was in the military he was in communications. He knew Morse code. I wonder if he's trying to communicate with me. I am trying to find someone who knows the ancient arts of Morse code. (Not an easy task), if anyone has had a similar experience I would appreciate there comments. All joking aside, this is important to me.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:47 pm
Umm...

A lot of radio enthusiasts still utilize Morse code.
0 Replies

sp2rays

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:44 pm
I agree about the Morse Code still being in use today, although the bleeping noise I am hearing is a redundant pattern. First it was 3 or 4 sets, like the rat a tat of a drummer. Now it starts out the same with the constent tap but then it turns into a more sporatic pattern. Today has been the first day in quite some time that It has not happened on my compu... Only on my truck's radio when I took my son to school this morning. I have asked neighbors who own computers if they have heard anything simular played the tape and none of them have. I have also tried several times to introduce the taped sounds on to my computer and as weird as it sounds, you can only hear my voice intro at the start and then it goes silent. Write on!!!
0 Replies

sp2rays

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:53 pm
Strange Bleeping noise...
To listen for yourself, follow this link "http://www.geocities.com/sp2rays/morse_code.html" it will have a link "morse code?" when you get the web page scroll down to "Test II" this will open Windows Media Player.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:12 pm
I'm on a school computer with no sound. Does the sound go
TA - ta-ta-ta - ta-ta-ta - ta-ta-ta - ta-ta-ta - ta-ta-ta - ta-ta-ta?

If it does my TV does it every once in a while. Everytime a call is coming inn on my mobile, and sometimes for no reason.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:33 pm
I found you test and while some of it sounds like it might be morse code most of it sounds random. I would suggest that there is probably an electrical appliance in your house, or a high powered electrical component locally that is malfunctioning periodically and "broadcasting" this signal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 02:31 pm
Aliens?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 02:49 pm
Seen any black helicopters hangin' around lately, or guys in dark suits and sunglasses?

Just a guess here ... some of what's been said seems to imply that the interference is location-indepenent, which pretty much rules out any fixed source of inductive resonance. Cellphones seem to be a constant in the mentions, though ... could well be a connection there; they tend to go where their owners go.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat timber, I'm just responding to the question.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
Cell phone sounds like the culprit.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:28 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Aliens?

that is what i thought initially
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 01:56 am
Just listened to the soundfile. Wherever its comin' from, that's data transmission, if you ask me. Seems to me the most likely source indeed would be a cellphone or a digital pager. As long as they're powered on, they frequently "check in" with the network just to say "I'm number so-and-so and I'm here and ready to receive".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:10 am
The sound from 10-13 seconds sounds identical to what I hear when:

1) a call comes in on my cell phone.
2) my cell is near my computer or a radio.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:12 am
hey next time when you hear it again you may cover your ears and try to listen whether the volume has been reduced. If the answer is negative that probably means that it is the matter of you (and your husband).
0 Replies