100 + Amps off of a portable Generator?

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 03:55 pm
First off, please excuse my ignorance to all things power. I'm a very technical person but power is my mind's kryptonite.

I am building out some production equipment in a car hauler trailer. It requires an AC unit on the roof that says it maxes out in worst conditions possible at 1800 watts. I also need some lights and (6) 20amp circuits.

I see that there are portable generators that go up to about 15,000 watts but I'm not understanding a few things...
1) how do I connect a breaker box to the generator?
2) these generators look to have 50a connections or 30a connections? How on earth do I get to 120 or 130amps like that???

For reference, I'm looking at generators like this: http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp15000e?lang=en-US

Thank you!!!
Steve
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,843 • Replies: 2
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:25 am
@atlsteve1,
The 50 amp outlet is dual phase. You can get 50A @ 120V from each leg to neutral for a total of 100A, or 50A @240V leg to leg.

To get any more from that generator you would need to also use one of the other outlets and use an additional breaker box. For example you could run the AC unit from the 30A outlet and everything else from the 50A.
0 Replies

rossweinberg21

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 12:34 am
@atlsteve1,
Are you sure you need 100+ amp? I don't think there are any safe or recommended options for that. 50amp is a whole lot of power and if you need more then that you should really reconsider your demand once again.
0 Replies