Ventless Air Conditioner

gollum

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:39 am
I have read of "ventless air conditioners" that are not placed adjacent to a window or other building opening. Where does the heat (i.e., energy) go? (I believe energy must be conserved.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 11:39 am
@gollum,
I believe they actually are vented, just not in the normal way. Obviously the heat has to be removed in some way.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 12:09 pm
@rosborne979,
Now I am wondering about the condensation. Is it trapped and dumped or what?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's handled by drain tubes or the outdoor portion of the unit.

Here's a quick writeup by one of the manufacturers:
Quote:
Ductless air conditioning, also known as mini-split AC, is a great alternative for homes and businesses which don't have existing ductwork. When you want to add AC to rooms that don't have ductwork, a ductless air conditioning system is the perfect choice.

Ductless AC delivers cooled air through narrow pipes (mini ducts) that installers install into your walls without any major construction work. In a ductless AC system, cooled air is delivered by wall-mounted units that are connected to outdoor units by the mini ducts. You get all the AC cooling power that a traditional central air conditioning system delivers without the ductwork.
gollum

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 07:52 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979-

Thank you.

So as best I understand it, the hot goes out of the ductless air conditioner into and through the mini ducts to an outdoor unit (i.e., equipment just outside of the subject building).
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 09:53 am
So it is essentially a big version of a window unit.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 09:54 am
@gollum,
The basic operating physics behind any AC comes from the fact that when you compress something (in this case a gas), it acquires the energy of compression and gets hotter. And when you decompress something it releases that energy and gets cooler.

So in an overly simplistic sense, what you do in an AC is to compress the gas in an outdoor unit and blow air across it to cool it off. That's what the radiator chambers/mesh are for in the outdoor unit. Then you pump the normalized compressed gas back to the indoor unit where you release the pressure and then blow internal air across the cooled indoor radiator, producing cold air. Then you cycle the normalized gas back to the outdoor unit and the whole process loops.

The same basic process is used for refrigerators as well, just on a smaller scale.

Window AC units do the same thing, just in a single unit which has an inside side, and an outside side.

And Ductless AC units just do the same thing except that they blow cold air directly into the room rather than blowing the cold air into a duct system in the house.
0 Replies