People are saying anxiety isn't a real issue and I'm doubting myself

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 02:00 pm
@secondaccount123456,
Make an appointment to speak to your family doctor or a doctor at the university.

You need to rule out physical causes for your anxiety.

Your mother is not correct. Anxiety is very real and there are ways to treat many of the causes as well as the symptoms.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 08:46 pm
@perennialloner,
"To me it seem like you don't want to help yourself. You are making yourself a victim by not taking the steps that you know you need. It is obvious you feel bad about yourself, but in spite of that, it makes you even sicker to think about the things you will need to do to get out of the rut you are in. That is the real problem, at least at this point in time."---- that´s one of the consequences of depression and hearing her mother´s opinion about it is more than a valid reason to try to reach out to her again
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 06:59 pm
@secondaccount123456,
Anxiety is a normal human reaction triggered by our hard-wired fight or flight reflex. It has served humans and all mammals very well for hundreds of thousands of years.

Pathological anxiety is when the fight or flight reflex runs wild, and without meaningful causation.

It manifests as Panic Attacks or General Anxiety.

It is real.

It is not weakness any more than diabetes is.

It is a result of brain chemical imbalance and environmental influences.

It can be devastating.

It can lead to suicide.

It must be treated or it only gets worse.

Regardless of how or when you can see a doctor, you must.

It's that simple.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 07:59 pm
Back re the university -
I don't know about the UK, or even all universities in the US, but in my time, there were doctors at the student health service - our university was connected to a med school and major hospital loaded with experts, oh, and others, but one could ask see a new person.

We want you to tackle this, for a change people on a2k agreeing.
Me, I've no idea if talking to your mother is an excellent idea or not. In your first post, you didn't tell her it was you. Now you say you have talked with her many times about this. Which? I'm guessing she still doesn't know it's you. Or, somehow does. Yes, you need to go there sometime.

You are smart, clearly; you are a good writer. You are dealing with fear that you try not to show, but is getting to you. Go in the door and talk to people who can help.
I figure most universities have resource directories, on call, if they are not daily staffed.

Don't fib, at least when you get past the door.

secondaccount123456

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 07:08 am
@ossobucotemp,
She knows I get nervous about things and it's that that I've spoken to her many times but because she doesn't believe in any sort of psychological issue when I decided to see how she'd react if she heard how bad it was which was why I used someone else
You're message was really lovely, no idea how I'm a good writer but I'm definitely not a good talker when I told someone in person about this they were shocked how I hide it, but I never feel completely honest in person always feel like I'm acting
secondaccount123456

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 07:10 am
@momoends,
I know
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 07:41 am
@secondaccount123456,
I still think she might react differently if you were to stress the severity of the situation. When you talk to her, I get the feeling you make it seem as if your nervousness about things is a tiny issue that you can get through, but you know the truth -- you can't. You haven't given your mother the chance to confront the real issue. You haven't told her that if you don't get help, you won't be able to complete your schooling. You need to give her the full story if you don't want her to avoid your problems. I know this is hard for you, and you think she'll trivialize what you're going through, but honestly if that's the worst that can happen, why not try? Would she disown you if you admitted to having anxiety and/or depression? I'd certainly hope not, because if she would, then you really need to see doctor, as she's probably contributing to your issues.

One thing is holding you back from seeking out a doctor at your university, and that one thing is you. Ultimately, you will be the person to overcome the obstacles. The doctor is the tool that will give you the mindset to overcome them, but you will be the one doing the overcoming. Your problems aren't just going to go away. They require action from you.
0 Replies

Candlelight8

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 06:10 pm
@secondaccount123456,
secondaccount123456
I have not read your previous posts but anxiety can cripple you if you don't get it handled before it gets bad. When you go to the doctor even for a regular checkup I assume you talk to him or her by yourself as I don't know how old you are. I can't believe a good mother would say the things you reported. She may be someone who gives people anxiety. I don't know but talk to someone who cares about you if you have someone. You may use exercise or a hobby or distraction of some kind. You may need medication. If low level anxiety goes untreated for years it doesn't miraculously get better it gets worse especially if you start having other health issues. Do you have allergies or food sensitivities or react badly to being around cologne and other chemicals. I believe their are many causes of anxiety that some doctors are not ready to accept because they have a conflict of interest. Save your future by helping yourself by getting help from someone. The more you focus on your anxiety instead of distracting yourself from it the worse it gets. Trust your instincts and believe in yourself even if no one else believes in you. If you can't talk to your parents or a relative because their unsympathetic there's your problem in a nutshell. I sincerely wish you well.
Candlelight8
secondaccount123456

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2016 02:11 pm
@Candlelight8,
Thank you so much. And yes I do go to doctors by myself as I'm over 18, although it's generally just once or twice a year for a repeat prescription I've never gone about a health problem for years and that was when I was being sick everyday and struggling to eat because of this so my mum thought there was a health problem even though I guessed it was psychological (I was 14 at the time) but since then I have got better st masking it/managing it now I know there's nothing medically wrong although the actual anxiety rather than sickness is getting worse although it's not as often (maybe 1-2 a week/anytime there's anything important happening/sometimes a few days of constant anxiety then it goes away)
I do have some sensitivities to certain food smells or aftershaves that make me feel ill, though I'm not sure the relationship between anxiety and smell
0 Replies