Is mental retardation a bad thing to talk about?

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:06 pm
As the title reads Is mental retardation a bad thing to talk about? What is the reason for your belief?

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:08 pm
@reasoning logic,
Why would it be?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:11 pm
@chai2,
I do not see a problem talking about it but I do think some people may find it to be politically incorrect or taboo for one reason or another.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
I suppose it could be it the subject at hand was the price of cabbage. First person says, " Wow! the price of cabbage has gone through the roof!" Fred replies, "Yes, but is mental retardation a bad thing to talk about?"

See what I mean? Keep it in context.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:16 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Quote:
I suppose it could be it the subject at hand was the price of cabbage

I guess it is a good thing that we are not talking about the price of cabbage.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I do not see a problem talking about it but I do think some people may find it to be politically incorrect or taboo for one reason or another.

You mean like it's ok to talk about a condition like dry eye, but not intestinal gas?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:29 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

You mean like it's ok to talk about a condition like dry eye, but not intestinal gas?

I do see your point of view but what I had in mind was our mental ability or understanding to perceive things to one degree or another.

I know many may have a different view point on this subject than what I hold but I personally think that we are all so different than each other and some of us are more advanced in some areas of understanding or perception and we also may be more retarded than others in different areas of understanding or perception.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
No. Mental retardation hits many families. The real issue is education about mental retardation.
I have worked for an organization that worked with the learning disabled. Early intervention can prevent many problems in the future. Many family members make the mistake of doing too much for the disabled family member.
Many have productive lives with full time jobs, supervised independent living, and families.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 07:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I have worked for an organization that worked with the learning disabled.

I think you may have missed my point of view in the post that I shared before your recent post or possibly I shared a poor example.

I personally think that we are all retarded and we are also advanced in different areas of thought and understanding. I'm trying to share a subjective view point that I personally hold even though others may not see it or they may disagree with me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 07:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
You wrote,
Quote:
As the title reads Is mental retardation a bad thing to talk about? What is the reason for your belief?

I'm missing your 'reasoning' completely!
chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 07:53 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I personally think that we are all retarded and we are also advanced in different areas of thought and understanding. I'm trying to share a subjective view point that I personally hold even though others may not see it or they may disagree with me.

Then you did a very poor job at choosing your title and initial post.

It seemed pretty clear you were asking people if mental retardation is a bad thing to talk about.

Yes, we all have varying degrees of intelligence. Is that your point?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:03 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Then you did a very poor job at choosing your title and initial post.

Is this your subjective opinion or do you see this as an objective fact?

Quote:

It seemed pretty clear you were asking people if mental retardation is a bad thing to talk about.

You are correct I was asking if mental retardation is a bad thing to talk about.

Quote:
Yes, we all have varying degrees of intelligence.

Do you think that there is a possibility that some of us are more advanced in a few of our understandings than others? Would that make the ones who are not as advanced as us a little bit more retarded if we were to use mechanical or scientific terms?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:07 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Gosh, in the past two days we've heard from Heeven, Phoenix, Shewolfnm, and now Gustavratzenhofer.

Hi Gus!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 09:01 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
You're like Snake Plissken now...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:05 am
Mental disabilities are okay to discuss the problem is the word "retard".

In this forum (I have found) and on many others the use of the word retard is considered distasteful and insulting to disabled people. Mentally "handicapped" is the new norm.

I reserve the word retard for the rare use only to describe republicans and overtly religious people. lol

As with any taboo subject, discussing a handicap is something private and should be treated with the utmost respect and decorum. When someone pours out their soul this can be later used as a weapon. Tread lightly and only trust a few.

Some of the most creative and smartest people also suffer with handicaps.

Retarded? No
http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2014/05/01/21/stephen-hawking.jpg

Retarded? Yes
http://madmikesamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/MICHELE-BACHMANN-CRAZY-EYESarge300.jpg

Retarded? Yes
http://addictinginfo.addictinginfoent.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/mcconnell.jpg

Smile
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 03:31 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I personally think that we are all retarded and we are also advanced in different areas of thought and understanding

I disagree with your assessment of everyone being mentally retarded. No, I don't believe that we are all mentally retarded. Mental retardation or mentally handicapped is a clinical or medical condition. We do not all have this condition. If the question is do we all have different degrees or levels of intelligence, that would be a different discussion.

I don't see anything wrong with talking about the subject, just as long as it is done respectfully. As stated in another person's post, the politically correct term would be mentally handicapped.
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 03:54 am
@Real Music,
Some think "mentally ill" is also politically acceptable terminology.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 07:55 am
@reasoning logic,
Define 'mental-retardation, please RL?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
No Reason so let's chat

Forgive
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 07:26 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I personally think that we are all retarded ...

"Speak for yourself, John"...as the saying goes.

If you're retarded, please seek out help.
0 Replies