Is life on Earth right to be interested in life on other planets?

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 05:49 am
Would it interest you, if extra-terrestrial life visited this planet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,879 • Replies: 34

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:24 am
@Thomas33,
there is no right, no try. Only do or not do.
Thomas33

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
I ask because of the knowledge that life on other planets will mean things like browsing a DVD shop, hotels, high school proms and a football club signing a famous player.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 02:24 pm
@Thomas33,
Well Tom, since recent studies indicate there might be more planets than the billion trillion stars, we can suppose at least 1 to 10 trillion as inhabitable. Most too far apart to successfully communicate
Thomas33

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 03:15 pm
@dalehileman,
Should communication occur, in light of reflection?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 04:28 pm
@Thomas33,
Tom, do you mean that it a humanoid thinks too long he will find something wrong with his immediate neighbor
Thomas33

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 04:39 pm
@dalehileman,
I mean that if life on Earth has been defined by the support of opposition (nations, cultures, anthems, left vs. right), should the knowledge that life on other planets isn't opposition mean no value in communication?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 10:56 am
@Thomas33,
Tom, some might q how and by whom we've been so defined

Probably other hab worlds are just like ours
Thomas33

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 12:31 pm
@dalehileman,
Indeed. Things like the nightclub and the press conference will be replicated many times throughout the universe, as will Collider Movie Talk and American culture.
The issue of where definition derives from would require the story of causality being examined.

No one will doubt that the history of the United States or Russia exists, but by what definition (you raise a very valid point)?
Who are the American people? Who are the people of Russia?

It's a fact that people in Russia are interested in partying, just like people in the US, or are also interested in videogames, or are Facebook users, or the conundrum of which day to take off during the week.

The question is if people in Russia are all of those things, why is there a people of Russia? Why the UK, when British people are as much what makes great art or movie-making as Canadian people?
Generals in the US army are the people who fear to check their email, or their forum profile, and so why do US generals exist in the first place?

All the citizens in Iran are fan mail writers, or the opinion of whether Rogue One is right to exist, and so why are there citizens in Iran?
The sexiness of the three piece suit was the clergy in Rome, 600 years ago, so why did people 600 years ago exist as clergymen?

Life on other planets won't just be the symmetry of nations and nightclubs, and top 10 movies and Santa Claus; they'll also be forum users, wondering whether to reference US Generals as nightclubs.

I personally believe that life on other planets isn't meant to be interesting, and that intelligence means perpetual reflection.

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:27 pm
@Thomas33,
Tom thanks, I'll mull over your definition of "definition"

Quote:
I personally believe that life on other planets isn't meant to be interesting,
My immediate reaction: meant by who

In any case there will be differences depending ie, on size, distance from its sun, rotation rate, etc, and would prove very interesting

Quote:
and that intelligence means perpetual reflection.
Again wouldn't this depend on exactly how we define "reflection," Smart folk often quit reflecting
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 02:37 pm
@Thomas33,
"intelligence" , biologically speaking, can mwrely be a contrived manner by which the living being responds to environmental stimulii.

We may be mere equivalents of trilobites compared to an ADVANCED LIFE-FORM. How would that spectral range of "intelligence" fit you discussion?? Most of your thread doesnt make super sense.
Thomas33

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 02:58 pm
@farmerman,
What should an advanced life form be?
Thomas33

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 03:00 pm
@dalehileman,
By reality. The force that's the reason of the universe.
Maybe reflection is the wrong term, or then perhaps that's the point about bias and resolution.

If anything is cause and effect, and cause and effect is true, how can either have an identity without bias?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 03:27 pm
@farmerman,
I favor the word "contrived." It explains a lot of our reality.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:13 pm
@Thomas33,
we consider placental mammals advanced and we consider primates and cetaceans "advanced" an elephant, a monkey, an elephant and a crow eaxh have an "avdanced" trait, in thaat they recognize their individuaality . An elephnt will sort of groom itself in a mirror, as will monkeys, porpoises, and crows. However, I dont think , like Adams does assert in "Hitchiker's..." that porpoises are advanced sentient beings and the galaxy is controilled by scientifically astute mice. I think we are the alpha brainy guys on this planet> So, in that context,WE are the life that is interested in life on other planets

. MAybe a super intelligence somehwere else is already studying us like wed enjoy (or could learn from) studying anything living on other planets. Why wouldnt we??
The question of "is it right" is kinda silly . You sound like a Southern Baptist Minister
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
Everything is relative concerning man's knowledge.
Quote:
Considering that we don't know how big space is (or even if there's just one universe), we can say with reasonable certainty that we probably know more about the ocean than we do about the cosmos.

But don't click away yet, because that doesn't really get to the point at hand: Our knowledge of the ocean -- when compared to our knowledge of the space we know and can explore -- is shockingly thin. Consider that we've sent 12 people to the moon since 1969 over a handful of missions; only three people have descended to the deepest part of the ocean in the Marianas Trench [source: Thar]. (And note that one of them was filmmaker James Cameron, who reportedly spent $10 million of his own money to finance the undersea craft [source: Broad].) Even more shocking? The ocean takes up about 71 percent of Earth's space, yet a whopping 95 percent of that ocean is completely unexplored [source: NOAA].
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
well, we can do more than one thing at a time cant we??
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
We can, but so far only a private citizen spent $10 million of his own money to research our oceans.
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think you need to learn about just one program. NOAA's SEAGRANT. Heres their 2014 report. It covers research funding fdor schools and research instirurions (like Basin Commissions and River Commissions).

http://seagrant.noaa.gov/Portals/0/Documents/who_we_are/leadership/board/reports/2014/TheStateofSeaGrant2014_Final.pdf

I dont have 2015. But this is just one program that spends almost Billion YEAR ON OCEAN nd Bay reearch. Theres so much to know that it works in concert with severql private orgs . THE USGS also sponsors deep seaa mapping. Theyve LIDAR and SONAR mappedthe nentire pllanet and have done mgnetic mapping of theAtlantic,Pcific, Indian, and several seas.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 01:21 pm
@Thomas33,
First of all, what calls the rightness of it into question in the first place ?