Child Support $ Amount

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:00 am
Hello All.. Just looking for some feedback as to what has been happening with my battle in Child Support $ amount. Baby Daddy was paying 800 a month for about 6 months... then the court decided that he is overpaying and is now only giving me 170 a month. This sounds really weird to me that the amount can fluctuate by that amount. Any one go through this before and have any insight?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 3
No top replies

smbarr888

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:04 am
@smbarr888,
I didn't receive child support over about a year.... so the overpaying can equal itself out... And now he is paying that minimal amount
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:22 am
@smbarr888,
The child support I pay is set by a formula (which is part of state law in my State). You simply take your income, the other parents income and a few other things like childcare expenses and the percentage of time the child lives with each parent... and then you get a number.

There is an amount that the child support should be according to the rules, and the court is the referee who figures it out when there is a disagreement. If the correct amount is $170 a month and he was paying $800 a month, then yes... he was overpaying.

I did go through this process. I was paying (voluntarily) about twice what the formula said I should be paying. It was causing me hardship. When I figured out how much I should be paying, I went to the court and had a legal decision that I would pay the correct amount.

Both sides of this process should talk to a lawyer. And things are easier if you can make this a negotiation rather than a fight.
0 Replies

Kleinmk5

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:47 am
@smbarr888,
Based on The payers income child's needs and necessities or a agreed upon amount ultimately ordered by a Judge if theres 50/50 custody thats where it gets kind of complicated if you have full custody then its not too difficult of a legal concept theres a few factors involved and it also makes a difference if you two were married
0 Replies