Raising a matress

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 06:46 am
My son wants to raise his mattress approx 4".
The frame is a fancy one, with wood mattress supports.
There are 4 boards across (3"x 3/4") with 2 legs on each to provide the mattress support.

The Question, can we just add 2, 2x4s across each of the 4 boards, bolting them to the existing boards ? He only wants to raise the mattress, not the whole bed.

Would this work ok or is there a better solution, ideas welcome

Ragman

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 09:47 am
@bobbee25,
What about using a low-profile box-spring? They're inexpensive and that is their purpose - a firm foundation. They're designed to raise the mattress 4 inches as well as support the mattress making it last longer.
jespah

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:34 pm
@Ragman,
I was just about to come here and suggest a box spring. It seems the most logical solution, plus it's more likely to hold up to usage.
0 Replies

shopfivemat

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:46 am
@bobbee25,
Well Bolting extra boards to the bed is OK but you have to do some DIY work to keep the mattress from slipping.
Raising a mattress to make a bed look higher can be accomplished by raising the entire bed or just the head of the bed. You can use Bed Risers, Wedges and Suspension. depending upon your requirement.
0 Replies

cameronleon

Thu 7 Sep, 2017 10:41 pm
@bobbee25,
Yup.

I can rise up the passenger seat of my car to make it higher installing 2x4s under the metal structure of the seat, and a child sitting on it can reach to see thru the front glass, but it is going to look ugly.

If you don't mind about "the look", of course 2x4s is a good idea.
0 Replies