"a" vs "the"

David28

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 06:48 am
I'm trying to force subscribers to vote via poll but not sure how to ask it correctly.

"You can choose the theme for the next mixtape by submitting your vote via youtube poll card or leaving a comment under this video"

This sentence is grammatically correct? or first "the" unnecessary in this case?
Thanks in advance.

View best answer, chosen by David28
engineer

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 07:06 am
@David28,
Looks fine.
0 Replies

izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 07:33 am
@David28,
It's fine. I assume there will only be one theme for the next mixtape. If so the is correct. If you said a theme it sounds like there will be more than one, and the one you choose will just one among many.
David28

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 09:50 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks for your detailed answer. Yes, poll offers several themes to choose but only one will be featured in the next mixtape.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:28 am
@David28,
Thank you, a lot of people come on, get the answer and that's the last you hear of them until they want to know something else.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 01:38 pm
Quote:
"You can choose the theme for the next mixtape

Strictly speaking, the intended reader will not be able to "choose" the theme, only to place a vote. Better to say "You can help to choose the theme".
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 02:50 pm
@David28,
You can choose the ("a"?) theme for the next Mixtape by submitting your vote via Youtube Poll Card or leaving a comment under this video

Quote:
first "the" unnecessary...?
but maybe desirable. The "the" might be appropriate when you make up a theme, "a" when you're given a listing to vote from of if you just don't want to use "the" twice
0 Replies